FP3: my order just got delayed by one month! from mid Sep. to mid Oct. to early Nov

I read somewhere that they added one more screw to hold the display module in place. Let’s hope everything plays out well and ships in time. I love the companies vision and you can tell that their heart is in the right place but my FP2 is an unreliable mess. Still ordered the FP3. I want to see these kind of products succeed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s really strange, it’s not the first time that I read people having issues with FP2. I own a FP2 for almost 2 years now and I have no issue.

4 Likes

Always wonder to what extent low torsional rigidity of frame contributes to modular connectivity problems for those users whom carry in tight jeans pockets.

2 Likes

I think they did minor improvements to the later revisions. I preordered my FP2 and have one of the first 17k.

1 Like

In my opinion that kind of carrying the phone adds a lot of stress and enhances connectivity problems.
When my phone startet having the reboots problem more regularly (I have the bigger battery-frame issue; being fixed by a tiny plastic-shim), the phone almost infallably rebooted, when I accidentally put it in my jeans pocket. I happened to forget. :wink:

Edit:
@Samb22 I have one of the first as well and my experience is more along the line with @AudreyE. No mess at all.

2 Likes

The screen has been changed since then, mostly because of bright spots. Apart from the screen and the camera upgrade, I don’t believe the design changed. (Edit: the battery supplier changed, but that was because the old batteries were no longer being produced.)

2 Likes

It has been seven days with “Rhenus prepare shipment”… Just another blip in the system :disappointed:

1 Like

If they do send it by train to Europe, that train journey could be considered to be part of the preparation of the actual shipment. The shipment will be the sending to the customer from the Netherlands. :wink:

3 Likes

That seems like such a poor design if simply carrying a phone in your pocket will damage it. I hope that is not a problem anymore with FP3.

1 Like

Depends on the pocket. Backpocket of jeans is customer’s mistake. You wouldn’t sit on your walkman either.

9 Likes

It is at least a problem, if the phone is just stuck together. All connections being solderes makes the phone less susceptible for loosing connection or breaking them.
Adding lots of screws to fix things and make the connection a firm one - like it is the case with the new FP3 - should work for both tasks; keeping the phone modular and enabling easy repair and fixing the connections, so they do not break.

One learns from mistakes or errors. :wink:

4 Likes

Indeed … 27.09. now instead of 25.09. :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Maybe one of the many companies involved in the whole shipment process takes part in the global climate strike 9.20 to 9.27. :wink:

4 Likes

The Fairphone 3 and related products will be shipped in batches starting beginning of October 2019. The pre-order period for a Fairphone 3 started on Tuesday, August 27, 2019.
Pre-order means that you can place and pay for an order now, which will ship after a few weeks.
We ship in batches starting the beginning of October, following the chronological order of successful (= paid) orders. The received payment date is leading.

• So, one should expect your new FP3 at the start of October, if you ordered on the first day I guess.

OH, and it also says shipping mid Nov, if you order now.!

5 Likes

Yay! Today, I finally got my… delay notification. :wink:

2 Likes

That is interesting! This must be new - in the mail they talked about shipping in mid-October…

Congrats :wink: When did you buy the phone, if I may ask? Because (if you are in the first batch / early buyer) what would interest me now is, what it said in the mail - was the delay also stated to be from mid-September to mid-October? Or have they “updated” the delay in the mail to be identical with the website ModularKing linked to (early-October)?

I for one had ordered and paid on the launch day on 12:10. The delay notification stated mid-October.

I ordered and paid on launch day - but quite late at about 22:30h. The website back then was already on “end of September” - the mail today says “mid-October”.

1 Like

It’s not the time that you order that counts, but the time your payment is arrived at Fairphone.

1 Like

well, with online banking, credit card and paypal the payment time is a mere minutes later after the time of the order