FP3+ & FP4 & FP5 hearing aids and direct streaming

I connect my hearing aids with my Compilot II and the Compilot II connects as one connection through bluetooth to my Fairphone 3 and the same for my Fairphone 4.

1 Like

Exactly.
But when you do a call, there is no way to use only audio to HA and as mic the phone or an external BT mic.

IĀ“m testing the Phonak Audeo Life right now and I can already confirm itĀ“s compatible with FP3+ with /e/ and Windows 10 computers (with BT chips generations from the last two years - I didnĀ“t test older ones).
The ComPilot isnĀ“t necessary anymore and the ā€œmyPhonakā€ app is working.

3 Likes

Dear Freigeist, iā€™m installing the Phonac app and Will try out on my Resound aids. A first bit of hope since long. Thanks

1 Like

Many thanks. This info is valuable as:

1. It works also on a custom Rom (/e/) without proprietory Google ASHA
    2.Working is depending on the HA-chip and not only on the phone
    3.Time seems to be over for HA-manufacturers to determine the phone we have to use and I can stay with my Fairphone.
    Very good news!
    I hope it will also work with a Linux-computer.
1 Like

Mainly linking for reference reasons, maybe some of the German-speaking folks can contribute: šŸ‡©šŸ‡Ŗ Telefonieren mit HƶrgerƤten (Oticon)

Is there anything new about this item? Why cannot Fairphone bring the Asha protocol in a software update or something like that? I am sincerely missing some options of my hearing aids because I cannot connect them with my Fairphone 3

Hello @Popko

which hearing aids do you have?

Regarding ASHA:

So, you can you could start a poll in the forum to ask how many FP users do have ASHA hearing aids and send the result to FP support.
If there are enough, then maybe they will include it.

I learnt from this post that it seems not to depend on ASHA only but also on the hearing-aid itself. Resound is closely connected to Apple and only fully compatible to some dedicated phones e.g. Samsung and Pixel. But there are aids like Phonak working also with customs roms and I donā€™t believe that /e/ includes proprietory
ASHA.
My decision for next hearing aid is clear: Will accept only one working with nearly all phones like Bluetooth ear plugs do.

1 Like

Sorry for taking some time to answer ā€¦
The hearing aids I use are: AMPLIFON AMPLI-ENERGY R 3 P R SLV

So I need to look for hearing aids in the upcomming time frame. Using a FP3+ it would be intersting if something new came up from Fiarphone about this topic?

Thank you

1 Like

Right now I canā€™t use the Phonak Audeo Life anymore with my FP3 with /e/.
This started with the last update, so I think itĀ“s related to the Bluetooth-audio-bug from

I hope this will be solved with the next update.

I came across this whilst looking for something else, but in my FP4 (build number FP4.SP28.B.065.20230420 Android 12 security update of 5 April 2023) in settings>accessibility there is a specific setting for hearing aids (under the header ā€œAudioā€)
Clicking it gives me the message ā€œTo pair your hearing aids, find and tap your device on the next screen. Make sure that your hearing aids are in pairing modeā€, which I can either ā€œcancelā€ (just exits the message pop up) or ā€œcontinueā€ which brings me to a screen that looks identical to me to the regular Bluetooth connection screen.
My headphones (Fairbuds XL) do show up in there as well if I put it in pairing mode, but if I connect it here, it just connects as headphones, whilst the ā€œHearing aidsā€ setting still displays ā€œNo hearing aids connectedā€, which seems to indicate that it is at the very least able to tell whether a Bluetooth device are hearing aids as opposed to headphones.

I donā€™t have hearing aids myself, so I canā€™t check anything more with actual hearing aids, but it might be something to look into for FP4 users who do have hearing aids. Perhaps FP has introduced some updates that now allow it to function better than before.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum

Just to clarify this is a user forum and Fairphone will not the message unless they are contacted directly by a user, maybe via support@fairphone.com

I believe this is a problem with the last two OS versions, which have a problem with AptX or so.
The connection with my hearing aids (Phonak Audeo) did work before and I hope weā€™ll get a patch for this soon.

This was discussed in another thread and seems to be a bug in android made by Google.
And there seem to be some possible workarounds but I didnā€™t test them by myself:

Just got Phonak hearing aids today and could not pair them with FP4. Very disappointing. Hope this will be solved going forward.

In another thread on the Fairphone 4 @Yasen_Tomov wrote

2 Likes

I need hearings and tested resound, wanted to buy but faced app problems. Iā€™m glad to read in time the resound app problems, so now im testing phonak as well. It works very well at ff4

3 Likes

Just an update:
In /e/ Murena 1.12.3 I still canā€™t connect my Phonak Life Audeo hearing aids. This was possible up to two system updates before.

But regarding the problem, I think itā€™s still the Android BT audio bug. When I go to the developer settings and check for codecs, then all codecs are still greyed out there.

Just read about the coming of Fp5. Does anybody know it will work with my Amplifon hearing aids (using ASHA protocol)?

1 Like