FP3 : Fairphone Open OS?

“No.” would have been less than 20 characters :wink: .

7 Likes

FIVE percent only, gosh…
At least, let’s see things positively : I now understand the feeling of being myself “part of the 5%” too :grinning:
Still this is the full market for a company like Purism, that alone should be worth raising attention in Fairphone!

P. S. this is not an ad for Purism : just compare the specs, FP3 beats them hands down on almost every line…

3 Likes

Well, look at it the other way: Fairphone has the potential for the mass market, as people buy it like other android phones. It’s not only a geek’s phone…

And also, you still can root it and use ad blockers and firewalls to reign it in. There are reasons why you e.g. need the play store

2 Likes

The community is generally aware of Purism. Purism has different design goals and primary ideals than Fairphone (the Librem 5 is not a fairly made smartphone). I take my hat off to both companies, as I can see the value in both, and both deliver a unique product for a niche I find valuable.

Btw that percentage doesn’t include the people who also use a different OS such as SailfishOS or LineageOS + microG or Ubuntu Touch or /e/.

7 Likes

Hopefully they will work on alternatives for the new FP3 without Google Services! Notice, if you have no control over the data which are passed to google, it’s not a 100% ethical phone anymore. So please keep on working on an alternative!

3 Likes

Unfortunately it’s not even close to 100% ethical even if you disregard the software. Have e.g. a look at the list of suppliers. There you’ll see that only a small percentage of the suppliers is working together with Fairphone on one of the supplier engagement initiatives.

There is a similar picture for the materials. Only a hand full of metals are sourced responsibly for the Fairphone. Fairphone identified the ones that are most impactful and started working on them, but there are conflicts and shortcomings with other materials. It’s a long way to go still.

As for the software: We know that Fairphone Open is “on the roadmap”, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are already working on it. Also I’m sure the community will port various alternative OSes soon. You’ll find them in the oslist when they are ready for use.

6 Likes

Sorry, I missed this post earlier.

F-Droid is an alternative, but it is not perfect, indeed (I would argue Play Store also misses things F-Droid does have).

If all you need is a viewer, then LibreOffice Viewer | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository should be suffice. If you need to edit Office documents, I’m not sure it is a good idea to do that on a smartphone but you are right that there is no full office suite available on F-Droid.

1 Like

Other than Purism and /e/ I’m waiting for the release of:
https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/

I already use some of their products and I find the project very interesting.

I have already done a post on the other thread and but I repeat my point of view here:
I’m really looking for a phone done FOR the people:
for the people who work and create it, the people who use it.
I think should be considered as a whole project pattern.

Why is so difficult to find a product like this?

Fairphone is unique in the vision:
I’d rather have half the guarantee and a chance to own my phone, from the root password up (you heard, “If you don’t have a root password, someone else does.”).

I’m sure there will be a product that will fulfill all these wishes.
I would like it to be FP3 .

2 Likes

Where is the Open Fairphone OS for FP3? I’m still waiting for it before ordering.

3 Likes

Don’t hold your breath just now, it could take a while …

5 Likes

Does anybody know, whether VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is/was working with Fairphone Open OS (or e.g. Lineage OS, Ubuntu) for the “old” FP2?
And whether it is expected to be working on e.g. Fairphone Open OS for the “new” FP3?

This is because VoLTE is not implemented in the AOSP and that should be done by phone manufacturers or someone else. Usually with Lineage OS VoLTE is not working.

Without VoLTE working on the FP3 with an Open OS it is not interesting for me. But I would be sorry about that.

I did not use it, but there was some discussion on this topic, like this thread:

Maybe this will help You?

1 Like

Hello !
Any news for FPOpen on FP3 ?
Or maybe LineageOS ?
It’s so sad to only have a stock Android on this phone…

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure there won’t be any news about Open OS any time soon. Ask again in a few months.

2 Likes

As paulakreuzer says, it will take a while… Any developer first of all needs the device for which he wants to create an Open OS. So it’s quite premature to seek for it by now. But, as many others here, I’m sure in a few months the time has come.

As my username reveals, I have any reason to look forward to an Open OS, too… :wink:

2 Likes

I would personally be willing to try and port twrp to my FP3. However to do so I need stock recovery ROM. Where can I find it?

7 Likes

I didn’t actually ready well before buying (my fault) and assumed FP3 would come with an Open OS, I was so disappointed it didn’t… Me too, I hope they’ll work on it!!

3 Likes

I wish it wasn’t based on Android. I happily use Ubuntu Touch on my FP2. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why does the devs not release the source code of the current OS? So the development of lineage maybe gets faster.

2 Likes

Well, you could ask them to release the source, and they will have to comply with GPL.