FP3 custom rom development based on released source code

Here is a list of gsi available :

I just start to test it.
For the moment the home, history and back button aren’t here, which is quick anoying ^^ Solved

GSM, GPS, cameras, wifi, charging works fine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks to you, I successfully booted Treble LineageOS on my FP3!
I got the navigation bar by using Magisk module MagiskHidePropsConf and setting prop qemu.hw.mainkeys to 0.

7 Likes

That sounds great.
What has to work for official lineageOS support?

Not all heroes wear capes. You are my heroes.

1 Like

first of all needs a capable maintainer :wink:
And GSI is not “standard” LOS…

1 Like

I’m really impressed of the acceleration this project just took: soon after TWRP, a “generic” LineageOS is already available :smile: . Project Treble is definitively a good thing, I remember the months of development for the LOS port for FP2…

What do you mean? Is there some features missing in this Generic System Image? Does working on a dedicated port for FP3 is anyway needed?

EDIT: Awesome work, guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The GSI contains the full google apps.

Treble is not always making our lifes easier, especialy if you maintain older devices :sweat_smile:
Due the fact I don’t own a GSI-capable device - I’m not very experienced with this. But I know no offical supported device on LOS with GSI-images - but maybe someone knows this better :wink:
But all official LOS-devices have device-tree+kernel

4 Likes

Not all GSI. For example the lineage one I mentioned don’t.

Actually, the gsi have their own maintainer. It is easy to do the update from FP ones for other partitions. We just have to do a patch from the FP one witout system and with a patched boot.
The only thing which can be hard to do is a patch for the vendor implementation. And I’m not sure there is any.

The maintain chain is really different from “standard” custom rom : we still need FP support, and the system is done by the gsi maintainer.

3 Likes

the question was official Lineage-Support - but most people have a weired imagination of “official” support :wink:

2 Likes

As GSI seems to be easier to get it running, anyone tried Bliss-rom already?

1 Like

Feel free to try, and let us know! Just follow the same steps :slight_smile:

Edit: GSI for BLISS, is an official image :wink:

1 Like

Andy Yan: Sorry but you will not see any more 16 updates from me unless something dramatic happens (e.g. I get gifted another SSD).

We will only have LOS 17 update from Andy Yan’s built .

What do you want to do now?

• Continue with gsi
    • Use already maintained ROM (e.g. LOS 17)
    • Maintain another one (e.g. LOS 16)
    • We need to do a repo for the patched updates from FP3
      note: Do not forget to set qemu.hw.mainkeys to 0 in the boot props
  • Port a “full” custom ROM (LOS ?)
    • Need a lot of work
2 Likes

I would suggest to take /e/ into account as it allows a FOSS compatibility layer for Google features. It is basically LineageOS - GApps + microG.

Could also make a poll.

Ultimately, it is really up to the community volunteers. The rest got nothing to demand really.

5 Likes

Will do, but i can’t right now. Need my phone and have too much work. Just wanted to check whether somebody already has experience with it. Looks interesting to me. But I don’t have any experience with the implication of GSI images

1 Like

Actually Lineage is a Vanilla (AOSP, without Gapps) with a few modifications, so /e/ is LOS + microG. And microG is easy to install on LOS. But /e/ is of course an option. There is a /e/ gsi, but it isn’t maintained too…

The poll is a good idea :slight_smile:

6 Likes

+1 for the poll, so that dev efforts could hopefully be focus on one main ROM (at least for the beginning)

1 Like

True, but they lean heavily towards GApps. The microG variant of LOS is not hosted on LineageOS.org; it isn’t an official variant.

/e/ has a vibrant community, and it is the only Android (or well, AOSP) distribution I’m aware of which includes microG. The enthusiasm for /e/ in the Fairphone community (due to FP2 port) was high.

A poll is a way to have every user’s voice count, no matter how good their argument is constructed. Question is, what should be included in such a poll? It is a bit unfair to add entries afterwards.

1 Like

First of all, we need to know if we focus on gsi or “full” custom ROM. Then we’ll need to do a repo for the patched updates (and maybe a little apk) or try to port a custom ROM

4 Likes

Right. What are, objectively, the pros and cons of each? I suppose the cons of GSI is that it does includes GApps? (But then the one you currently use does not?)

Honestly, I’m not sure how I can make an informed decision on such a poll.

1 Like