FP3 crashes when insertig 512GBMicroSD card

I installed /e/ on my Fairphone 3 and everything worked well. Then I bought a 512GB MicroSD card and inserted it. I formatted it as internal storage which made the phone crash. Then I formatted it as external storage, but the phone kept crashing. So I installed LineageOS . The first time, the SD card showed up in the settings. When I clicked on it the phone crashed again. It does not show the SD card anymore. Is it simply not possible to use a MicroSD card that large or why would this happen?

1 Like

Setting up your SD card as an internal storahe is the problem.

Please also have a look at the #sdcardguide.

2 Likes

The fact that it didn’t stop crashing after reinstalling the OS may mean that the SD card is not compatible with the phone. With some specific SD cards sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, I have had issues my FP2 for that reason. Do you have another SD card available to test if this one works?
Then, formatting as internal storage has only been reported to break features when on FPOS android 10, not on /e/ (though of course, I highly recommend you not to format your card as internal storage, the #sdcardguide explains that well as pointed out by @Lidwien).

2 Likes

Let’s not be premature and declare an SD card incompatible from just one case. I’m just reading from another Fairphoner [Facebook group link, members only, sorry] who is (at least initially) able to use a 512 GB card in his FP3+:
SanDisk Ultra R100 microSDXC 512GB Kit, UHS-I U1, A1, Class 10 (SDSQUAR-512G-GN6MA)

3 Likes

Of course, I did not mean to say this was the problem nor to conclude anything, I have written (emphasise mine):

Thanks for clarifying that and checking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Added type, see above.

1 Like