FP3+ Camera Oversharpened/Low Quality in video calls

Hi everyone,

I’m having two issues with my FP3+ (LOS18) and the new camera module. When in a video call (and seemingly in bright light) the front camera’s quality is severely reduced

In camera apps, the viewfinder shows an oversharp and moire-y view, especially on patterned objects. The resulting photo is fine, but it can be distracting and not realistic when looking at the preview before taking.

Anyone else have these issues?

2 Likes

Not on default OS so I added tags to the title to clarify for searches etc.

5 Likes

Thanks amoun! I’d be interested to see if default OS (or /e/) users also experience this. If not, I can focus my reports to the LOS thread and devs.

2 Likes

Hmmm! Never seen this mentioned before and I’ve been on forum daily for about a year :frowning:

I’ll pop this in to the LOS thread too.

Worth noting the low quality image is from a Whatsapp video call. The camera view for a photo is much better.

1 Like

I have the exact same problem with my fairphone 3+. In the normal Kamera-App the pictures is fine, but when using whatsapp camera it makes me look 10 years older with every pore oversharpend.

The problem is with the standart OS.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s not just me! I’ve found the quality is marginally better (at least with no oversharpened pores) when I’m in shadow/dark room. The moment I’m in some sort of light it makes my nose look like a blackhead festival.

When i am facing the window its fine, if i facing sideways to the window it gets this bad.

Have you tried any other apps, like Signal/Telegram? I wondered if Whatsapp was incorrectly dealing with the FP3+ 64mp camera.

I also get some minor moire/oversharpness in the camera app (not in resulting photos though), similar to what you see when you watch a 4k video in a much smaller window.

Correction: I meant 16mp camera.

Does anyone who has the FP3 front camera module, or even possibly a FP3 with the upgraded module, also encounter these issues?

I have the same problem with my FP4…did someone find a solution for this problem using FP3+?

Nothing so far, unfortunately.

Hey amoun, given Seikusa has this issue on standard OS too, could the title be renamed to remove LOS18?

1 Like

@anon9989719 is this a hidden config setting?

Hi what are you referring to :slight_smile:

some part in the Camera driver for the fairphone 3 produces “oversharpend Camera feed”. I was wandering if its a setting not visible to the standart user.

I don’t use the default camera now but it was never noticably poor. I suppose you’d have to take a picture, upload it and detail every setting for another user to copy - a lot of work ,?

I installed signal on another phone today to see the quality first hand, and it was pretty shocking compared to the other Pixel 5a. Very low quality, looking like it lacked any aliasing. I’ll see if I can get screenshots again, but has anyone else experienced issues with Signal video calls too?

This was on the same wifi connection. The only benefit to Signal is that my PiP quality actually looks decent, vs Whatsapp which doesn’t

As in my previous post, signal is fine. Which camera app are you using and have tried?

These are in-app video calls, so I guess the apps themselves? Taking photos using the camera app (or g-cam) results in photos and videos that are fine, it’s just live video calls that are resulting in tremendously low quality

1 Like