FP3 Battery inflated

Hello, I have used my FP3 since October 2019.
Its battery inflated, but the charge stay correct… until now.
I can’t more close the case.

It seems to me that the case would become dangerous.
Other else to do except change the battery ?

Definitely stop using this battery. Contact Fairphone Support, you should get a new battery under warranty.

11 Likes

Complete agreement, that should have been done on the first occurrence of the inflation, for security’s sake.

3 Likes

I’d like to know, how this could happen. Have you done anything special?

1 Like

At what percentage did you normally start charging the phone?
Did you charge it to a 100% all the time?

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Maximum charging voltage of FP3 batteries

Thanks for your comments.
How this could happen [ignazw] ? It’s not a temperature problem, I live in Switzerland, and we get a really fresh summer. It’s not an overcurrent problem, I don’t use my phone to play games, neither watch video nor intensive applications.
As suggested by Lidwien, my phone is usually connected to the charge (slow charge mode), the goal is minimizing the number of cycles par week (around 2 to 3). It was a good idea for the FP1: the battery lasted more than 4 years (until no longer for sale), then my wife and my son had already changed their FP1 battery.
Then I could measure the voltage, to check an overvoltage because of the permanent charge. It’s theoretically not possible with a smart charger.
So I’m going to contact Fairphone support quickly to change my battery before calling the firemen.

I have just split off the discussion about the charging voltage to another topic: Maximum charging voltage of FP3 batteries

@rvlo, good to hear you already contacted Fairphone support.

3 Likes

A big thank for all these details.
I’m out of time to look the technical elements: I’m beginning a new job this Monday.
I’m following this topic, but to continue my idea to economize the number of cycles however without stress the battery.
Would it be possible, by soft if possible, to stop the charge at a more less level (3 to 3.5V) and uses the charger only to supply the current consumption of the phone?
Today, the only modes possible are charge, discharge, or turn off, a new mode would be a stop battery at 60% of full charge and current phone supplied by USB.
It will be useful for every hour when I’m at home or office: my phone is placed on the desk.
The full charge will be activated if necessary.

1 Like

Using the dial pad enter *#*#66#*#* Service tests > Single test >Battery

You will see the battery rarely gets down to 3.7 even around 20% so stopping the charge at 3 to 3.5 volts is not really an option :slight_smile:

You can install apps to control charging a) some that will notify you when a percentage is reached and b) some that will actually stop the charge at a set point, the latter however will need you to root the phone.

1 Like

Stop using this battery immediately, since it might explode, and get a new one.

Best wishes,
Thomas

4 Likes

Many have said already, this battery cannot ve used anymore, it wouldn’t fit anyways, and if you tried it may get internally damaged, causing fire usually.

What made it inflate, could be a production error, or just heavy use, never mind, get a new one.
On a side note, had an inflating laptop battery once, naker recalled it, said moisture was entering, causing the package to swell. Replacement batteries were fine though.

So, well possible you have not done anything odd…

Hi @rvlo,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your battery, but also great to hear that you have already contacted Customer Support following the advice of @urs_lesse and @Incanus.

Unfortunately, in a very small percentage of cases, swelling may occur when using lithium batteries. We have however verified with our battery vendor that there is no health and safety concern for swollen batteries, but it will affect the performance and function of your Fairphone.

If anyone else happens to experience this, as a precaution we suggest that you stop using your current battery and contact our customer support team. When creating a ticket, please include photos and the following info:

1. What charger and cable (brands and models) do you use?
  2. How many times a day do you charge your phone (once, twice, etc.)?
  3. Do you normally charge your battery only when it reaches a certain level (ie. below 20%)?
  4. Do you charge your battery at the same time each day? (ie. before going to sleep)?
  5. How long have you been using the phone?

Apologies once again for the inconvenience but thanks for flagging it here! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.