FP3 Android 13: Preferred mobile data option missing

I have taken to using Simple Dialer and Simple Contacts recently, and contrary to the stock dialer and contacts app, these do have a setting to save you SIM-preference on a per-number basis if the ‘Calls preference’ is set to ‘Ask every time’:

2 Likes

This is smart. I’ll have a look at these apps.

The standard for calls & sms can be change in Android, too. But not the data mobile standard. Is this possible too with your apps?

1 Like

These apps are only responsible for handling calls and contacts. (Also SMS if you install Simple SMS Messenger as well.) Mobile data remains unaffected.
Note that you need to set the abovementioned app as the default apps for calls and sms (and potentially Caller ID + Spam handling) via ‘Settings > Apps > Default Apps’ to use the full range of their respective functionality.

3 Likes

Ah. Ok. Thank you.
Then my “trick” for mobile data will set the default

I use a German and an Austrian SIM in my FP3 and when I’m in Germany I wish to use my German mobile data plan and in Austria the Austrian one. In previous android versions I was able to actively switch the preference in either settings internet or settings SIM (I can’t remember) but since the upgrade to android 13 I have not found a way to set/change my preference. I can set/change similar preferences for calls and SMS. Could someone help me out?

The same issue has been discussed in the following thread:

It seems this issue only appears immediately after the upgrade due to a corrupt state of the setting. Try disabling mobile data in both SIMs and re-enabling mobile data in tge two SIMs consecutively. That seems to have fixed it for some.

Edit: Don’t get confused by the recursive reference. This post has been moved here from another thread. :wink:

3 Likes

Indeed! I can deactivate the mobile data! The issue has been solved.
Excuse the duplicate post. I guess I had used the wrong keywords during my search.
Thank you, very much!

2 Likes

I tried them. They are brilliant. Already got some from simpleTools. Maybe I use them now, because Google wants to join all in one to “increase my user delightment” or sth like that :roll_eyes: This always sounds like “new package colour” or “new receipt” with food :face_with_peeking_eye::expressionless::rofl:

1 Like

Hi all,

I seem to have the same problem and I cannot solve it with the steps mentioned above.

I have two SIM cards, say A and B. I want to use A only for receiving calls and B for the rest (should be standard for calling, internet, and SMS).

However, during the Update my SIM A was the preferred one for Internet. Now the phone decided that SIM A is still preferred for Internet. Switching off internet on SIM A results in no internet: SIM A internet is switched off, SIM is not preferred and does not connect to the internet. After switching internet off and on on SIM B, SIM B is preferred for Internet and everything is fine. However, after rebooting we are back in the old state (i.e. SIM A preferred for Internet). Any ideas?

Switching sim slots does not solve the problem, the same sim card is still preferred.

1 Like

I have the same problem,
biometric function stopped working and SIM car mobile preferences can’t be changed- both of these very problematic
Is there the possibility of a system update that would enable these functionalities?

Hi, I am using two SIM cards in my Fairphone 3. Until the last Android’s update I was able to choose which SIM use for data, as I have data linked to both SIM cards. Now the SIM located in the Slot 1 is the one assigned by the system for data and I find no way of changing it. Meanwhile I amb still able to choose which SIM use for calls or SMS.
Any help will be useful, thank you!

Please have a look above

I find this thread a bit confusing, but after reading the different suggestions, what worked for me and others is disabling the mobile data for BOTH SIMs, and then re-enabling the one you want to use. This seems to change the preferred SIM for data.

I emphasise both SIMs because before coming here I had only tried disabling the data for the preferred SIM for data, and didn’t think to do both if disabling the problematic SIM made no difference. Also to be clear, it’s disabling & re-enabling the mobile data that worked for me, not the entire SIM. I hope this helps!

I use a German and an a spanish SIM in my FP3+ and when I’m in Germany I wish to use my German mobile data plan and in Spain the spanish one. In previous android versions I was able to actively switch the preference in either settings internet or settings SIM (I can’t remember) but since the upgrade to android 13 I have not found a way to set/change my preference. I can set/change similar preferences for calls and SMS. Could someone help me out?

I needed to disable my german card, but so I can no longer receive calls or sms as well, that is not the way I like to use a phone with 2 sim -cards.

The possiblities discussed here with enable one, restart etc. I tried all of this, nothing worked, without, completly disable the german one. But that is not really satisfiying, so I need to use 2 phones or cannot receive calls from Germany on the german number… :frowning:

I would like to suggest a workaround that you disable the mobile data of the SIM you don’t want to use.

I told, that I disabled the German number, but than I can’t receive calls or SMS via the German number. That’s not an option for more than some days…

I want to use both numbers for calls and SMS, only one: the Spanish one for data. But for using it for data I have completely to disable the German one, that’s not fine, if you bought a phone for 2 SIM cards …

So this did not work?

I tried more than once, disable both, coming back to one.
I can only choose one, but not returns like was alex4357239487 as well tells, everytime back to the german one, to be choosen. If I want to be reached by calls from the german one.

I changed also the places of the sims, restarted, disabled both, than put it on again.

It’s only working with on card, or going back to the one, which I don’t want to use (that seems the preferred one, don’t know why).
When only the Spanish one is working, it works, but than I have to complete disable the german one, and no calls can reach me. So not possible for longer time…

The fix was included in the latest beta. Currently no one from FP is posting before a new stable is released so dont now if already rolled out or not and if the fix would have been includd still in the stable. Either way I expect this to be fixed asap. Overall with roaming EU laws should you not be able to use the data plans irrspective of where you are Spain vs Germany to make t a bit easier till the fix?

I checked the software updates and it FP is telling me its the newest version.

I bought the data on the Spanish number, so I need to use this. In Germany there is not such an offer and as well i use my spanish number being in Spain. So that does not help.

I need at least to be called on the german number, completely disable is crazy. Therefore I bought a phone to use 2 SIMS… :frowning:
But thanks for the answer