FP3: Android 12 ? or maybe Fairphone Open OS?

Personally I wish they’d stuck to and continued to patch Android 9 for as long as they could on the FP3. Android 10 is a regression in my opinion. Though I have not installed A11 yet, I don’t much like what I’ve read about that here either. Why do Google think taking options away from consumers is a good thing (external camera storage)?

My FP3 had no issues on A9, it now has a couple which coincided with the installation of A10. Yeah it would be wrong to blame every issue on the new android version as the phone is getting older. Other apps also update and get their chance to spoil the party too. When I saw A11 was available for the FP3, rather that throw a party in celebration, I just groaned and thought “here we go again”. :wink:

Hi,
As far as I know that’s a bug only affecting the stock Camera app.

Edit: At least one user says it can be fixed by removing the SD card and a couple of reboots.

I’m personally quite happy with Android 11 on the FP3.

2 Likes

They didn’t take it away it just requires a different implimentation ‘hasta la vista’ otherwise yes there’s always a case of deja vu :frowning:

We live to fight another day :slight_smile:

It is possible to specify a date for “as long as they could”: January 2022, which is the last time that Android 9 got patched.
Android 10 by now is the oldest actively supported version, probably for another handful of months, which means it’s either “stay unsupported on A10” or “upgrade to 11” late 2022/early 2023.

5 Likes

Oh. I thought this was intended behaviour rather than a bug. That’s good news, Someone working out a fix is encouraging. Thanks for sharing that post.

Thanks for this info. I make that just over three years of security per major android version?. That should mean A11 will be in the same boat (no updates) in just over a years time as A11 is already approaching its 2nd birthday. I wonder why FP didn’t skip A11 and jump to A12? Maybe that isn’t possible or if so, not advisable. I assume we will be prompted to ‘upgrade’ to A12 in a years time then? Grrr!

1 Like

Yes, that’s the way it is.

1 Like

Android 12 is coming beginning 2023

10 Likes

On Twitter I found a reply for Android 12 on on FP3/FP3+.

Hi there 😊 We plan to update the Fairphone 3 & 3+ to Android 12 at the beginning of 2023. We don't have a date to share just yet but as soon as we do, we'll announce it right here on our social channels. 💙

— Fairphone (@Fairphone) October 3, 2022

Lets keep fingers crossed that this will become true :wink:

1 Like

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

As experience shows, never believe any announcements ;). The update will be there, when it’s there or maybe it will never show up.

3 Likes

When will you finally bring the update to Android 12? The system has now been on the market for almost a year and if you ask, it is only pointed out that it will be written on Twitter when it comes - but after a year it is no longer quite as helpful.

Who is “you”?
This is the community forum, and this topic was not opened by Fairphone staff.

Else …

4 Likes

To be fair, I moved it here from the recent Software update topic. So the intial topic was opened by staff. Nevertheless it was “misplaced” in the other topic and if there would be any further information to share, beside the tweet FP would do here.

Thats the normal “turn around” time for big upgrades of Fairphones, you cant compare with the big companies and it will still be very helpful and prolong the livetime of the FP3.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.