FP2 won't turn on - stuck in restart loop

A few weeks ago my FP2 suddenly stopped working. I was using the google maps app when it suddenly turned off. I turned it back on, but after a few seconds of the restart screen and a short vibration it went black again, then did the same over and over. I have tried removing the battery and sim card and let it rest for a day, and the same thing happens. I also tried to let it keep doing the rebooting loop for a long time with nothing more happening. I also tried a hard reset, but can’t even reach that option as it won’t go past the first few seconds of startup screen before turning off again. Charging or letting it run out of battery makes no difference.

My phone has turned off by itself several times before and occasionally frozen up, but the other times it worked again after turning off and on.

I tried e-mailing support ten days ago, but only got an automated reply saying that they will have a slow response time for the coming weeks…

Any ideas?

Did it charge? Did the let turn from red to yellow to green?
If not try the battery reset in the #batteryguide and let it charge to green before switching it on.

I’m curious, because I have a very similar problem. But clicking your #batteryguide leads nowhere except for a page saying “There are no latest topics”.

Could you please provide a link in case others might land in here and attempt the same as I did?

Btw, when pluging my FP2 to my PC, it turns on, but the LED does not glow. I also cannot get past the boot screen, neither the recovery menu. Details here.

Strange. That would make sense if you didn’t have access to the #fairphone-help category, but it’s open for everybone. Anyways here is the direct link:

Interesting, did you change anything about that topic or my permissions? Because when I click it now, I can see the topic. :grin:

Yes, it charged just fine. The light turned green.

Hm, maybe there is a loose connection somewhere? Try disassembling the phone and cleaning the connectors between the modules. Also check if the battery sits well before putting the phone together again. If it doesn’t put something small inside the gap to make sure the battery doesn’t loose connection to the rest of the phone.

Since last evening I have exactly the same symptoms on my FP2. It suddenly restarted and now stucks in a reboot loop, too. I can charge the battery normal (LED is turning from red the orange to green). I followed your hints, but without a improvement.

I think I have to send my phone back to fairphone… I feel a little bit sad, I received my Fairphone2 with a broken screen and got a new one (12 days later…). It was working well for two weeks but now there is the next problem…

Have a nice sunday

Edit: I have a Support Ticket regarding this problem: #119445

Actually, now it seems like it isn’t charging at all. The red light lights up occasionally when it shows the “Fairphone” startup screen, but blacks out again when the device turns off.

I tried doing the battery reset, but it just kept doing the loop. I also tried taking the battery out, and the phone just kept on doing the same. So I guess it seems like the battery doesn’t work?

The strange thing is that when it first turned off, it had plenty of battery left, and kept doing the restart loop for more than an hour without being connected to a charger. So at least initially, the problem happened even with a charged and working battery.

So from what I tried out, I have two options:

  1. Let it keep doing the loop.
  2. Press and hold power button + volume down for 15 seconds. Then the screen just freezes and stays the same. (Power button by itself or power buttom + volume up does nothing)

I tried disassembling it, making sure everything was clean, and then putting it together again, and still no change.

Here is a video of what happens.


Even if pressed for more than 15 seconds? Or: power off the phone and then press both buttons and hold and insert cable.

Thank you for the video. My Fairphone has exactly the same behaviour.

Thanks for your hints.

I’ve tried both. Holding Power and Volume+ for more than two minutes with and without cable. I also inserted the usb cable while pressing the buttons.
–> no changes…

I’m experiencing a similar behaviour with my FP2. I’ve experimented around a bit by removing the battery while plugged and booting, then inserting it again, plugging and unpluggin while booting, draining the battery completely and then plugging it over night, hoping it would charge (which it did).

The phone actually did work again, but I don’t know what the actual solution is, nor whether it might fall into this rebooting loop again.

It did fall into this rebooting loop again, just a few days after.

Yes. I did it at the end of the video too, and it just keeps looping. I tried holding all combinations of buttons while plugging and unplugging the cable with no effect. The only thing that was different was this: when I held both volume up, volume down and the power button at the same time, with the charger plugged in, the screen didn’t light up, but the vibrations indicating restarts were more frequent. When I let the buttons go, it went back to the regular loop.

Thanks for the tips, though.

Maybe I should try the same. How long did you keep on plugging and unplugging?

Well, when the problem firstly arrived, I probably did that for like half an hour or so until I was frustrated enough to just let it lay there, unplugged, and let it drain its battery. Back then, it wasn’t it a reboot cycle yet but instead was just stuck on the boot screen, so I could just leave it there over night without having an annoying vibration sound every few seconds.

After that, this reboot loop started, so I experimented around as stated above. I did that for like an hour or so. I plugged and unplugged it rather randomly. Sometimes I’d just observe for some minutes, what it does when plugged, sometimes I’d just plug and unplug it within the same minute.

Finally, I plugged it and left it over night. At some point, it wasn’t rebooting anymore but got into some “normal” charging state (can’t remember whether it was in the charging screen or finally booting up and waiting for me to enter the PIN).

But in my case, I wouldn’t doubt that the reboots were due to the fact that the battery was completely drained.

Hi, i had exactly the same Problem after the phone was in wet conditions. Also I had some other problems before. Then i dissambled all modules (small screw driver necessary) and assambled all again. I did not understand why, but Since then there are no problems.

Since about two weeks my FP2 shuts down as well with the same Problems stated before.
Once I noticed the message Android Laucher 3 shut down.
On one Occasion the Screen was back when I started to remove the case to Access the battery.
I hope this Problem will so be solved.