FP2 Won't turn on or charge - See first post for troubleshooting

I had a problem charging when I tried charging with an iPad charger and a USB cable, but I then used my girlfriend’s Sony charger and that worked perfectly.

I have the same problem. Worked normal for one day and getting suddenly black screen. Only difference I have is when I put it on the charger with battery installed I get the red light. Get same answer as you from the support desk.

My problem is solved. I just removed the screen completely, visual checked all screws are still in place. Installed screen again. Measured battery voltage =4.00 volts. Installed battery again. Phone boots. Battery charge = 70% on screen.I charged the battery with my laptop without any problem.

I’m afraid mine still isn’t working!

I’ve bought a new data cable + adaptor, removed and replaced the screen, and tried to do a hard reset a number of times but nothing is working at all.

I’m glad everyone has managed to fix theirs, hopefully mine was a one-off faulty product that they can repair! I’m going to speak to them again tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately, I have the same or a similar problem.
Removing the screen and the other input that @ridley shared from the support did not work.

I used my first battery load until it died and since then I can’t charge anymore:
I have a proper data cable and an adaptor as proposed (5V, 1A) but the phone only starts charging (red LED, first blinking then continuous) and then shows the visual charging of the battery (it shows 0%) and then suddenly stops to start the same process over and over again.
I’ll also get in touch with the support and will report if I find a solution that helps.

@ridley: How could you even perform the hard reset? I red that this needs a well charged battery?

Hard reset is described here:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-fairphone-forum-dictionary/5309/20?u=paulakreuzer

It doesn’t take very long so just try with your low charged battery.

1 Like

Thanks @paulakreuzer.
With shame I need to share with you guys that my problem was solely due to the cable. I tried a cable of my neighbour and with that I could recharge the phone. the other cable seemed to work for the initial charge but not when the battery was flat. I’ll buy a proper cable tomorrow.
I hope my mistake will at least help other avoid it or solve it quicker.

3 Likes

Make sure you buy a data-cable. Data-cables are four-threaded.
Fairphone has problems with normal charging-cables which are two-threaded.

1 Like

Äh, is that the idea of a “fair” phone? A brandnew phone that you have to reasseble several times until some are able to charge? And the others have to buy additional chargers/cables, creating additional waste? The idea is great, the execution leaves space for improvement. Maybe timepressure was to high during the final stage of the project, with negative affect on quality control.

1 Like

Well,
at least not everyone has to buy a new cable. The two cables I have work perfectly fine. Only one of my chargers makes my touchscreen unusable while charging, so I’ll have to use the other charger exclusively. Still better than providing another charger for every single user, of which most wont be used later.
Of course it could have been done better, but hey, remember, this phone is the very first phone those guys designed themselves. I was quite sceptical whether it would work well but I have to say that I’m very astonished about how well it works. Except for a few small glitches here and there. But those will be fixed in time. The Fairphone guys have all my faith :wink:

3 Likes

I spoke to Fairphone today again, and since nothing has worked they are going to exchange my phone. I’m glad everyone else has managed to find a solution, I must have just been unlucky and had a faulty product!
Thanks to everyone for the advice anyway :smile:

Could you please tell exactly what charger you are using, I tried several with no result.

It seems that a charger 5v and 1A will do the trick.
I have a charger 5v and 2.1A and I can’t get it to charge my Fairphone 2.

My chargers are both 5V 1A, but only one works. It’s an original Samsung charger that was supplied with a Samsung smartphone. I don’t have it here, but I can check for further details, when I get home…

Hi,

I have my FP2 for less than 2 weeks. Monday it went completely dark between 16h-20h. Yesterday it died at around 19h45 and it’s still not functioning now.

It won’t start up anymore, no matter what. If it is plugged in the led light will work. When the battery is in the phone feels warm, so it should be getting power. I tried charging the battery for a long time, removing the sim-card and battery multiple times, holding the on button without the battery in, still nothing.

I haven’t dropped it once, it hasn’t gotten wet, no dubious apps installed, or anything weird happend to it.

I tried waiting it out till now. I am lost and I would like help from the community or from the company.

Any idea’s?

First things first: Did you try (many) different cables?

Paul, I did indeed try several different chargers. I don’t have an unlimited supply though ofcourse.

You could try battery reset (see here) and if that doesn’t work contact the FP team to get your phone replaced.

Another thing worth a try, not wasting much time is to try press POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN at the same time for about 20 seconds.
This should trigger a reset (NOT a factory reset, doesn’t affect data). Seen it working on different Android phones with the same symptoms, so maybe worth a shot.

Also triggered a reset on my running FP2 :wink:

Best regards

Just got my FP2 five hours ago, but it would not turn on. (This is after 4 weeks of problems with Norwegian customs and shippers).

I have tried charging it with 4 different cables combined with three different sockets (5 if you include two computer USB ports), it still will not charge.

At first I thought it was charging, as the red light (top left corner of the screen) was lit, but after an hour it still wouldn’t turn on. After reading this and other threads I tried switching cables. On the nth combination of cable and socket the screen actually lit up! But it quickly shut back down, and continued lighting up and shutting back down as long as it was plugged in.

After trying all combinations of cables and sockets available to me, that is the closest I have gotten to a functioning phone.
Any ideas?

Update: I noticed that the screen was lighting up for a longer time when I had my FP2 in a tight grip. I tried removing the back cover and pressing the battery upwards (towards the pins) while charging. The screen kept lighting as long as I pressed. So I folded a piece of paper and wedged it as support below the battery, the phone has now been working for 2 minutes and counting… Not sure what to make of this, whether it is related to other problems or not…

1 Like