FP2 WiFi notification problem

I own a fairphone 2 since one month.
In every wifi I connect to I get the message “connected, no internet”. But the internet connection is working. Only the notification seems to be wrong. Any idea what’s going on?

here a screenshot

For many public WiFi networks in Germany you still have to login/ register/ accept terms or similar first even if you can use them free of charge.
To get onboard, just try to open up a page in your browser, the start page of the respective network should then be displayed instead and give you directions on how to proceed.

1 Like

Do you have some Firewall app installed?

2 Likes

Basically the Phone tries to reach some service on the internet. For Google-enabled devices this will be a Google service. If it cannot reach it, it will display an exclamation mark on the Wifi icon and write “no Internet” to the status message.

3 Likes

thanks for your answers. The problem is on my private wifi too.
And yes, i use the firewall AFwall+ and after deactivating it, the exclamation mark disappears. So it seems that the connection to that service is blocked. I see if I find the right calibration.

1 Like

ok, now i now some more about that topic :slight_smile:
as @Amber wrote, Android tries to reach a google server to check if internet is working. I don’t like that so i disabled it.
You can do that with a terminal emulatur and “su” for superuser:

2 Likes

Hi,

well, if you turn off captive portal detection you have to find other means to detect a portal. E.g. you could open a browser and enter some arbitrary address. If you’re caught in a portal, you will be redirected to it. If you don’t do this, you will run into issues making your apps work and the like.

1 Like

@Friek Do you know which app you had to exclude from the Firewall?

1 Like

I allowed the following apps in the Firewall (translated from German):

• (NTP) Internet Time server (Zeitserver)
  • Trebuchet
  • Download Manager
  • Android Setup Manager (Einrichtungsassistent)
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.