FP2 Screen can't be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds

Thank you, I was looking for an app to test the sensor! This one looks good and does not need any strange rights…

I have got the same result as you, it always says “near”.

ok. After removing the Display and cleaning the Sensor, it works again.
No Workarround for every day.

After 18 hours, Problem is back.
Fixed after cleaning again…

Hey. My phone here in England has had the same problem. One accidental call in the middle of the night I couldn’t cancel to someone and one annoyingly long voicemail when I tried to give someone a missed call to give then my number

The power button is at least better than taking the battery out

I have the same problem. Screen goes black as soon as the call is started, even if the full screen is exposed and never returns until the line is closed.

Where is the proximity sensor?

Here is a photo. However, I’d say it’s just beneath the coin on its right side.

I have a FP2 from December, and have the same problem, Sensor readout gives also no changes
when running and moving to ear or with hand. The switch solution seems to be necessary :frowning:

1 Like

I had this problem today. I held the power button and the reboot menu came up and the screen came on. I cancelled the reboot and ended the call.

I have been reporting identical behaviour - screen going black when calls start, not being able to get to screen buttons unless the call is hung up on remote end, etc - but had been reporting it in ‘contact us’ emails, not here on the forum. Adding my observations now too.

I have an FP2. It will give me back the in-call screen if I reboot it and don’t go anywhere near the screen. If I am calling any business with a customer service line, that needs keypad input to make selections I have to plan ahead. 1: Turn off, thoroughly clean and reboot the phone. 2: Place my call and not hold phone up to face or obstruct the proximity sensor. - Only then can I select the keypad and work the call.

3: Other times, when calling humans, I use the ‘power button hangs up call’ option in Settings -> Accessibility, as other have noted, and just get by on not having access to my screen during a call. But I agree with the opinions that a 500+Euro phone needs a fix for this - it really IS a deal-breaker problem…

(no screen protector & film from shipping removed)

– updated : see other posts, but open your FP2 (go on, no tools needed) remove the screen assembly (I was nervous at this step but press on…) and see that the sensor is clean inside - mine was all dusty. I cleaned it out and FIXED IT :smile:

1 Like

Same problem here. I had to get out of voicemail by removing the battery before I found out about the option of using the power button for disconnecting a call.

I can confirm this on my phone: after reboot the sensor says ‘far’. But after approaching the sensor with my finger, the reading switches to ‘near’ and stays that way.

I had the same problem. Just took off the screen, and fortunately I saw some dust on the sensor. Since I took it away it works well!

Same problem here…
Th screen turns black when making a call and wakes up after the other side finished it. The sensor is fine and works in any other application. I wrote the support. So let’s see if they can solve the problem.

Same problem for me, have to use the camera button to wake the phone up again.
i.e. Make call - screen goes black - screen stays black until the call is hung up by the other party.

I also have this issue. I wrote about it in the related thread:

1 Like

Hello everyone, just wanted to report that I also have this same problem. No screen protector, tried reboots and thorough cleanings. Thank you for the power button option but I do hope this can be fixed soon as it’s been pretty frustrating leaving looong answerphone messages while I fumble around trying to get the battery out!

Yeah, same problem here. Wiping the sensor doesn’t help.

Hello, I’ve also been dealing with the identical problem (FP2) since about 2 weeks. Same goes for a friend of mine. Cleaning the proximity sensor every hour seems not to be a proper and sustainable solution.
After having read this blog I activated the power button to end phone calls with customer hotlines before the very end of the respective answering machine. But this is just a temporary solution. It’s quite annoying.
Will there be an FP2-update soon?

Dismounting the screen and removing the dust between the sensor and the glass solved this issue for me :slightly_smiling:

Same issue kicked in after one or two months here. Thanks for power button work around. Didn’t try cleaning the sensor yet.