FP2 Screen can't be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds

The problem is solved. I managed to open the phone and clean the proximitysersor.

Hi Daniel,

Yes I have exactly the same with Skype’s calls, also with What’sapp’s calls and also with phone calls.

It’s a shame a shame to pay a phone more than 500€ and not even able to make a simple call.

The ethic concept of Fairphone is great, but sad to that behind thé product is shit!!!

I have the same issue.

I had the same problem (sensor cleaning was ineffective) but after activate the speakers during the numbering everything seems back to normal. Coincidence or track start?

Hi I could recalibriate the Sensor with the app “Proximity Sensor Fixiermittel” I did the recallibration first in the sunlight and it did not work. So I made it in the evening when the difference between light and dark are not so much. Now it works fine even with the the screen protection foil.
Mfg Tenne

Edit: sadly this dont work anymore even if I do the recalibration again. only thing that works now is the workaround with the power button to end the calls. Cant Fp just make a update to shut of the damm proxy. sensor?
its so anoiing that so much people just cant use thie nice phone!

Edit2: you can use the App: Sensors Test to check if the Sensor is Working.
I removed the screen Protector foil and recalibriated with the first app again and now it works well again.

If you encounter Problems with playing Sounds you get on. WhatsApp Blackscreen etc. It is the same Problem and is solved too now. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @paulakreuzer, I have had the same problem since I got the phone almost two months ago. I tried to clean the proximity sensor, but it does not help. Both when I call out, and someone calls in mye screen goes black when I reply to the phone. I also have the same problem when charging my phone, that my screen goes black, and I therefore cannot use the phone.

Should I report this to support, or do you think this will be resolved in the next software update?

update: For calling the cleaning by a cloth didn’t work. It seems like this was just luck…
However after a recalibration of the proximity sensor with the App “Proximity Sensor Fixiermittel” (see FP2 Screen can’t be reactivated during/after calls - See first post for Workarounds) the sensor worked again, also when calling…

btw the problem occurred after the last OS update, hence I assume that the update somehow screwed the sensor calibration…

Thanks Tenne for the workaround!

3 Likes

I think the speaker’s activation prevents the screen to darken in order to be able to stop the speaker later…
Indeed this is a very useful workaround to this too long lasting problem! Thank you very much for your advice!

Very often the screen switch off while I dialled a phone number. I am grateful to remove
The battery

I’ve moved your post here, as it seems to be the same problem. See the first post in this topic for some workarounds until Fairphone comes up with a better fix.

I had the same problem. The sensors always read out 0cm. I cleaned the sensor itself and also the screen from outside and the inside and then it worked.

I managed to solve this problem by cleaning both sides of the screen where the proximity sensor is.
When I cleaned the outside it did not work, but after cleaning the inside it did…

1 Like

Cleaning inside solved it for me as well. For the second time now. Let’s see if this is a recurring problem on my phone too…

1 Like

I had the same Problem without stripes or stuff a few weeks ago. Since then never again…But i have another Problem…My FP Display is turning dark when i call someone. If the Person i called can’t pick up the phone the Display stays dark and i can’t stop the call. So I talk a Minute or something on the Mailbox and i cant stop it…Doe’s anybody heard about such Problems?

I moved you post to this topic, since it’s about your problem.

I’d like to also add an extra unexpected behaviour that seems to be related to this issue. Not only the screen goes black while calling (using the standard call functionality), but also when calling via VoIP (i.e. Whatsapp). I find this case even worse, because standard non-VoIP calls usually hang you up eventually, but I’m not sure if the same principle applies to this case.

As a extra extra weird thing, the screen also goes dark when listening to a voice note (ni Whatsapp). This would mean that the bug isn’t on the “calling” functionality per se, but somehow related with how…audio is played? (although music apps don’t show the same behaviour).

Hope this info helps the developers.
Regards,
Suckelo

1 Like

This morning my screen stopped working completely but until this morning…

…I had been having the same problems as described in this thread with all of these types of calls EXCEPT when I call my own voicemail. With my voicemail it had been working just fine, even to press buttons during the call and all.

So… it is really a hardware problem then? If with voicemail it works but with all the others no?
Does anyone else have this experience?

Same here. Screen goes black and I can’t hang up or do anything, but ONLY when (and as soon as) a voicemail box picks up. Human voices at the other end don’t do anything weird to my phone. Doesn’t appear to me to be a hardware issue, either…

1 Like

Mine did that at first, just black when it was other people’s voice mail
boxes, and then it started staying black during the calls too.
But for my own voicemail it’s fine. Is that the case for you too?

Haven’t called my own voicemail yet…