FP2 reboots and home screen issues

Just start the phone into twrpwoflashing and connect your computer to it. Then you’ll have access to internal memory and can copy the content from the phone to your PC.

4 Likes

It had already happened on 1st of January 2020 that a similar problem happened to various 7.1.2 devices during the same day:

Unfortunately that time also only a factory seems to have solved the the problem.

2 Likes

i’ll try that, thanks ! (I was unsure about using TWRP, seeing TJM’s post about being stuck because of data, but now I understand that the issue was the upgrade to Android 9 and not the twrping itself.)

Correct. And you even don’t have to install it if you don’t want to change anything on the phone itself (so no risk).

1 Like

I apologize if I’m going a bit offtopic, but i need a little bit more help to use the #twrptoflashing : my computer (Windows10) can’t find a driver for the FP2 (“fastboot devices” is empty, and in the device manager FP2 shows up as an unknown Android device)(fastboot seems fine, blinking blue). #twrpwoflashing instructions say Win10 will find the driver on internet, but it turns out it this is not an option anymore (since summer 2020 apparently). Any idea where I can find such a driver ? I looked into ADB Driver installer but it requires that I put my phone in USB debugging mode, which I cannot do more than setting USB to file transfer…
I’m going to try on other computers tomorrow, but in case it doesn’t work, any pointer is appreciated !

1 Like

(In case it helps someone else, I found the answer for the driver : don’t try to find the driver through the device manager options, but through windows update, see yvmuell’s solution in Which android driver should I use? )

5 Likes

I’m in safe mode now and the problem persists. I had more than 10 GB storage left. Trying to uninstall some apps now, anyway.

1 Like

thanks for the hint of just repeating the process. I finally managed (after 25 retries) to flash the new OS. I can use the phone again and all the data is still there.

Still the problems with the home button and reduced swipe down menu are present.

What’s the current recommendation? Backup all data, factory reset, reset to backup? would that work?

2 Likes

exactly same symptoms from the Netherlands, starting the same day :confused: this is SO strange.

2 Likes

Are those the only problems with your phone now? Namely, do you have more than 1 line of swipe down menu? Do you have access to screenlock settings, etc?

I am assuming you have A9 now, correct? (I tried installing it and gave up after some 15 attempts, maybe I should follow my own advice & keep trying :D)

My phone is stable now, the problems persist but doesn’t reboot. No SIMs, no SD and erased a bunch of apps (which was probably good anyway)

no, I just named those. but the other problems still exist.

yes, A9 (Fairphone OS 21.10.0), I really was desperate :smiley: but it finally worked.

What are the next steps from here? I figured that the errors occured already for some other FP2 users at some other point in time, what was their solution to the problem? Did someone file a bug report? Which repository would such a issue belong to? I guess it makes sense to go after this error together instead of being frustrated by oneself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As said here several times, the only solution so far, also recommended by the Fairphone support, was a factory reset.

4 Likes

After I deleted a bunch of apps in safe mode the phone was quite stable for the whole day, no rebooting. When I started it again normally it was also stable, but the other problems persisted. I could do some backups, however. Befor going for the factory reset…

1 Like

Exactly the same problems here, from Portugal!

1 Like

The exact same problems happen to me (in Switzerland) Monday morning at approximately 6am.
Now, the phones reboot much less than Monday. The functionalities on the main screen, the circle and the square at the bottom still don’t work. This is the same for all functionalities that are on the top of the screen. I cannot change the WiFi, battery, screen luminosity…

Android: 7.1.2 Build: 19.11.2

I will try some of the solutions that were shared earlier to see if the phone can be fixed.

1 Like

Might a different luncher help in case the circle and the square are no longer there? :thinking:
(still an update and factory reset are probably the only real solution).

I went through the factory reset and it eliminated most of the problems. But I still get a buzz everytime I type on the keyboard. This is a minor annoyance, of course, but it is still strange and I can’t find a way to switch it off.

1 Like

This is a setting of the installed keyboard, and it might not care about the general haptic feedback setting of the system.

Where the setting exactly is might differ between Android versions and flavours (and the installed keyboard), here’s an example … Settings - System - Languages & input - Virtual keyboard - (select your keyboard) - Preferences - Vibrate on keypress

4 Likes

Thanks for the help.

That was the default when I got the phone, so I’m assuming that is the factory setting (I switched it off)

2 Likes