FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

Are these reboots reduced by the update 1.3.0?

Google maps seems to be the main culprit with me as well. sometime it reboots seconds after starting to follow a route.

Also getting the screen freeze problem - usually when connected to the charger. Need to tur screen off and back on again t o unfreeze. That’s annoying but I can live with it. The reboots are a real PITA though.

For me the reboots happen “mainly” when I use the GPS, be it with google maps or OsmAnd. It has also became more frequent since the update. (5 to 7 times on 3 hours drives). Unmounting the SD card didn’t change anything.

I also have screen freeze when charging (among many other bugs). I then need to unplug, turn the screen OFF and ON again, then it works. This is really annoying as it happens very often when I need to turn my alarm clock OFF in the morning.

1 Like

Using sim1 for switzerland and sim2 for Germany. Reboots only happen when sim2 is set as default for mobile data. No matter if 2,3 or 4g. Does anyone think it would be likely that a new sim2 would help? Since the card is basically working fine I mean…

Hi again!

I’m here to tell that I really think G-mail synchronization is the source to the problem. I’ve turned the sync. off and didn’t get a single reboot all day (usualy get it once every second hour).

What was more intresting was that when I started Gmail and tried to update it (search for new mails) the phone rebooted, which makes it even more posible that Gmail sync. is the problem.

If anyone else wish to try it out, you can turn it off by going to settings -> accounts -> google -> (your gmail.com account) -> turn Gmail sync off.

I hope it will solve my problem and you others :slight_smile: I’ll keep you all updated if it works!

Best of luck to you all (and me) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly, my phone just rebooted. Noted it was at the exactly same time as “data for Google Fitness” did a sync. I’ve shut it off (too) and I’ll see if it works :slight_smile: I’ll continue my investigation :wink:

I made the same experience. My FP2 regularly reboots when using GPS and charging in my car.

Okey, so now I have deactivated everything that has to do with google (I think), I’m just wondering, how did you do it to deactivate all your google apps/widgets? I’ve turned off all sync of google but sadly it still reboots daily (might be less often though) but is there something else you can do to deactive them? Sadly they can’t be removed due to being standard applications

Thanks

Has happened to me too a few times now. If it’s starts happening on a regular basis I’ll be sure to try some of the advice in here. For now just following the topic :wink:

Hello. I received my Fairphone 2 1,5 week ago. Very satisfied, but what is not satisfying is that it reboots one to five times a day while using it. I have the latest OS installed 1.28. I´ve also tried to removed the SD and SIM card, but it doesn´t seem to help. Any feedback is welcome!

After the Update on the 1.2.8 Version I experianced the first reboots. Just 5 times in some weeks but never had reboots before.

The reboot problem is not on the official bug list of the fairphone devs just on the known issues list of the forum.

The problem for the most people here is mutch bigger than mine so i wondering if the devs are working on this topic?
Do we have to live with the workarounds or is there hope for the next version?

Not fixed in version 3.2.6 released today :’(
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fairphone-os-1-3-6-update/18090?source_topic_id=11553
…I will install this tomorrow. Anyone tried already ?

On my FP2 (1.1.7) reboots are not so random. They are triggered by the use of a single application: Crossy Road. I cannnot play this game long enough to beat my score before it restarts the phone. No idea why. Anyone similar?

From my experience, an application can crash a system (be it on a computer, phone or server) by either exhausting the resources of the device (ex: using all the RAM) or by simply using a faulty component or bugged driver until it crashes.

In my case my FP2 reboots more often when OsmAnd or Google maps are used. I don’t think either of those applications are responsible as they are used on thousands of devices without crashing the system. It is far more probable that the GPS driver developed by Fairphone has a bug.

The same goes for other applications like gmail. This application is used by far too many people without problem to be the root cause of such an issue. It probably uses more data than other applications or accesses the memory more often. If the memory or SIM reader drivers are bugged this would make the phone reboot “as if” these applications were the root cause.

The same misconception has given Windows the reputation to be unstable when it was often the drivers provided with graphic cards or other components which where full of bug.

I might be wrong but it seems that Fairphone has not tested their drivers and/or hardware properly before releasing. Many bugs like camera noise, random reboots, unresponsive touchscreen, unstable brightness, etc, point in that direction.

1 Like

Still there on 1.3.6. It looks like its thermal problem. 3-5 reboots a day if we have warm weather and the phone is offen in use.

Dear FP users,
I am in my 2. month to use the FP2.
Beside other major technical problems it also starts to reboot and getting blocked more and more frequently after the second week of use. For example it blocks
1.during the process of unlocking (with pattern or numbercode) = no access to the phone.
2. Or gets blocked during use of apps or
3. shuts down completely during use of skype or whatsapp even with full battery.

Other point of risk might be the extrem warming up during use of whatsapp/skype and other online applications.

Does any body have similar experiences?
Did you find any solutions?

Thank you.
Martin

Dear FP users,
I am in my 2. month to use the FP2.
Beside other major technical problems it also starts to reboot and getting blocked more and more frequently after the second week of use. For example it blocks
1.during the process of unlocking (with pattern or numbercode) = no access to the phone.
2. Or gets blocked during use of apps or
3. shuts down completely during use of skype or whatsapp even with full battery.

Other point of risk might be the extrem warming up during use of whatsapp/skype and other online applications.

Thank you.
Martin

1 Like

[quote]The same misconception has given Windows the reputation to be unstable
when it was often the drivers provided with graphic cards or other
components which where full of bug.[/quote]

Or hardware issues, even.

A microkernel-based OS is a lot more complex, but is also going to be much more stable and allows more security. The alternatives we see though are VM-based security, capability-based security, and containers. For desktop, that is Qubes (for server, a plethora of options) and examples of the other two are something like SELinux and Docker.

1 Like

Mine too. It happened when I was in the middle of something important too. I need something reliable, but this issue makes me nervous about using my FP2 on business trips.

1 Like

My first Fairphone 2 suffered random rebooting. Finally, after several emails and then two phone calls, and sending it back, after two weeks I was then sent a second new one, which worked fine until the 23 May update. After an hour or two there was a reboot, then about a week later another one. I will email customer service (hope there’s a response this time) to report it. One more reboot and I’ll be considering getting a refund. My first FP2 was sent in early February.