FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

I moved your topic here, because I think it’s the same problem. Maybe you’ll find a workaround in the first post. Anyway, at least some causes for this (these) bug(s) will be fixed in the next update.

Hi, a short update to my fairphone status:
I got an answer from the support team. They offered me a replacement fairphone which I received this week. This one seems to be working fine, no reboots till now (two days in use). @Rootboi I Still use the same SIM card and provider.

4 Likes

Hi,
I was also offered a replacement.
The first day I have experienced 2 reboots…

I managed to narrow down the problem in my case. It would be nice if any moderator can comment on this.

1. If I don’t have access to a W-Lan, then the reboots are massively reduced.
  2. If I don’t have access to the Internet at all (no W-Lan and no mobile data connection) there are practically no reboots at all. I have tested 5 consecutive days without a single reboot.
  3. When I connect to a W-Lan, the phone reboots in an apparently random and unpredictable manner. This is the worst case, it makes the phone practically unusable. UPDATE: Apart from the random, unpredictable starts, I seem to always get a reboot immediately after I connect to a W-Lan and immediately after I disconnect from it (either by moving away from the hotspot or from switching off Wifi on the phone).
  4. When I use mobile data and I am not connected to a W-Lan, then I still have some reboots, but they are far less frequent than in the W-Lan case.

I am using the Gmail app, just in case there are known issues with it. UPDATE: I disabled Gmail and tried using an alternative. It makes no difference.

So, does this pattern match with any already known problems? What would be best in my case, wait for the update or look for a replacement (its already my second phone, after a first replacement for another issue).

2 Likes

+1. All reboots of my phone so far occured while connected to a WLAN.

I now disabled the 5 GHz band on my FP2 and look if I will get any reboots. Edit: Didn’t work, got still a reboot and slowed down the connecting procedure.

Yes another screwed unhappy user here as well. Also the screen keeps locking up and doing random things. I don’t want to be funny but haven’t the developers ever heard of fit for purpose. These things are mass produced identically to a design so obviously the basic design is flawed once again I’m sick of being ripped off by these clowns who think that it’s okay to dump anything on the market providing they claim it fair to everyone. Fair phone fair to everyone except the user. I’ve not read the entire thread I can’t even get to the bottom of the entire thread it is so long because of the seats so many people have had problems. So how do I fix it? And no removing cards putting cards in taking batteries out putting batteries in turning it off Tony on are not valid answers this is either a properly designed piece of equipment with valid fixes or is a piece of shit with me standing back and we all need refunds. It also very difficult to get the cover on and off so I’m sorry but removing and inserting things at random is not going to happen.

1 Like

In the flight mode there are no reboots at all for me. I can hardly see this as a workaround, though :disappointed:

2 Likes

Like sparkylabs I’m fed up with having a phone that has randomly rebooted from the start (over 6 weeks now). I have sent 2 emails, with automated replies promising further info within 8 days. Nothing happened. I’ve tried everything in the workaround to no avail. Surely Fairphone could get in touch and even offer me a replacement? I see at least one other person has been offered that.

1 Like

Hi @withat, I made good experiences with calling the support team by phone after I have opened a ticket. They immediately sent me the information how to turn the FP2 in to the repair center to get it exchanged or repaired.

2 Likes

Thank you Bemigro. I’ll investigate how much it’ll cost me to phone the
Netherlands from the UK. It’s not included on my mobile package. The fact
remains this should not be necessary.

I was also suffering the reboot issue (besides a few other problems which were on the FP2 bug list). So I was very happy to receive yesterday’s e-mail about the FP2 software update. But unfortunately it helped nothing at all - after installing the update yesterday afternoon my phone already decided to reboot another three times now.
What should I do? Getting rid of my FP and buying an unfair phone again? :cry:

4 Likes

Same here. Now I’m looking for a different customer phone number as 31 20 788 4400 (from UK) gives a message “number not allocated or not in service” yet this is the number on my paper receipt.:grimacing:

1 Like

Just checking: Did you include the ‘+’ or 00 before it (so 0031207884400), to request an international call (and does the phone you’re using allow international calls)?

2 Likes

Johannes, thanks I’d just discovered that. So I eventually connected and
just got an answerphone message. I’m frustrated and angry now. I’ve now
sent e emails, asked twice for another working phone, done the workaround,
installed the update yesterday, and getting nowhere. My FP2 was shipped Feb
5th.

1 Like

Sorry, typo: 3 emails via the website.

I can understand your frustration - things haven’t been ideal at Fairphone support for a while. Hopefully they’ll be able to catch up quicker now the update is out (which does solve some issues, so hopefully less requirements for support), as some requests seem to be taking weeks to be answered at the moment.

I’m tagging @anon48893843 and @borjan in case they can help.

2 Likes

Weeks, or “things haven’t been right”, is an understatement, it’s nearly 2 months since my first ‘request’. Thanks for tagging.
The update has not solved it for me.

By the way, Johannes, others have mentioned “second update” but I’ve only
been notified of one on my phone ( yesterday or the day before) …

There is only one update, but there was a bug in the updater (it showed that it was running 1.0.0, and an update to 1.1.7, despite that all phones shipped with 1.1.7) that led some people to believe there was another one.

As an afterthought to previous posts: Just to clear up one potential misunderstanding - the community moderators are all volunteers that don’t work for Fairphone, so we only know what’s going on on the Forum. It also means we have little influence on anything that Fairphone does or doesn’t do…

1 Like