FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

Hello!

Iam following this thread a few month now, because with my FP (running OpenOS) I had also a lot random reboots every day. They occured only during charging and most times at a battery level about 80-90%. I tried 5 different charger without sucess.
The state of WiFi, mobile data (3G/4G), bluetooth or GPS didnt make a difference in my case. Also it didnt matter wether the screen was turned on or off.

Last saturday (01.10.) I updated my phone to 16.09.0. Since I did this update I dont have any random reboot yet. Iam using same apps and same charger as before. So I guess this update solved my reboots anyhow.
I will continue to observe it and write it here if the random reboots will appear again (hope not :wink:).

1 Like

I do find Fairphone’s lack of interest on the whole rebooting issue a concern.

I put in a support request 20 days ago and not had anything back from them.

I really want to like and support Fairphone but it is becoming increasingly difficult to do so.

Slightly encouraged by the post about a replacement mother board.

Pete

1 Like

As far as I can tell from what I read in the beta section of the forum it’s the number one issue they are working on.

Support is swamped unfortunately. It’s getting better, but it still often takes them a long time to reply.
But don’t expect an answer from support to provide you with any information about this issue that you can’t find here on the forum.

2 Likes

That is nice to hear, but it certainly is not communicated that way! As far as I know the post from @anon73900052 (post #385), is the first official acknowledgement of the issue.

Hi all,

I’ve a fresh install of Fairphone OS 1.8.1 (latest version) via ADB sideload. The phone freezes and restarts randomly by using Pokemon Go and Whats App. This happens with some other apps from Google PlayStore as well but it happens most of the time with these two apps.

No, the phone is not connected to a charger!

Is there a way for me to access a log file to identify the issue for this behaviour? This became strange since the latest update to 1.8.1!

Thanks,
Uwe

You can join the beta testers. There is a kind of crash reporter included in the beta version.

Currently, the stable version feels like an alpha release, so no, I am not interested to get bothered by my phone more then right now.

I was happy with spending more money for my new phone, because it’s fair trade. But I was not expecting a product with a bunch of “childhood illnesses”. :confused: This starts with the charger bug and ends with freezes and random restarts. As for now FP2 is a failure software/hardware product.

3 Likes

So my new FP2 after fully updating started having random restarts, mainly noticed when used as GPS (screen, GPS, 4g all on)

Took my screen on and off and then it was having real issues, restarting all the time really having a hard time of life

Realised on closer inspection the screen wasn’t quite pushed fully down even though the clips were closed - taking it back off and properly back on again removed the real sketchy behaviour. If your phone is mega freaking out maybe try this! Could be bad connection between the two parts…

Still getting a restart most days I’m using heavily, once the exact moment I took a photo, often with FB messenger bubble open…

My FP2 also restarts quite often, like 4 times a week. Especially when GPS is on (google maps). I hope this will get better with the next update.

Months are gone by, but still, after few updates of the system the phone keep resetting it self, for no reasons!
Sometimes, after it get back alive, the screen doesn’t even work. I can’t actually use the phone. So i have to reset it again manually!

Of course this occurred a great lose of battery, and time, and increase the daily stress.

So, I would just like to know: there is actually something that can be done for this issue or no?!

Finally, after disabling 4G no more random reboots :slight_smile:
I continue using 1.5.1 version as the latest ones seem to produce some headaches to the courageus people that have proved them (according some posts read here). I’m still waiting for a new version definetely good.

1 Like

I wouldn’t get discouraged because a few individual users experience problems, where I actually doubt the problems are related to the software releases. Much more, for most users the software has improved, stabilized the devices, and fixed many bugs. Not even to mention the monthly security fixes that you will miss when staying on an old version.
Personally, I would highly recommend to stay on track with the software updates.

“a few”!? there are almost 400 posts in this thread only and numerous threads in different languages with similar /same content… I would not call that a few!
Fortunately the big mass of Fairphone 2s is not affected by that (that would be catastrophic), but please don’t downplay serious issues!

With the second part of your statement I completely agree with you , @feldia I don’t encourage you to hold back with updates. Fairphone Support told me that they already made stability improvements with the last updates. Although these were not explicitly mentioned in the changelog of the updates.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure @freibadschwimmer was talking about users that assume that the problem has to do with a specific OS version.

Jeden Tag ist mein Handy am rebooten… Auch, wenn es nur so da liegt. Ich habe das Gefühl, dass es sich häuft. Des öfteren auch, wenn mich jemand versucht anzurufen, macht es einfach einen reboot. Ich hoffe, dass es kein Hardwaredefekt ist, der sich nach und nach heraus kristallisiert!
Es muss doch irgendwo eine Logdatei sein, die das dokumentiert. Exceptions sollten immer abgefangen werden, wenn diese auftretetn. Wenn es jedoch keine Exceptions gibt, könnte es wirklich ein Hardwareproblem sein und das wäre übel.

viele Grüße
Steven

I didn’t have any problems for 1-2 months. I had my first two random reboots shortly before Pokémon Go came out - It got a lot worse after I started playing. So badly, that I stopped playing, but the reboots were still quite frequent, with having good days and bad days. I tried all the “workarounds”, sooner or later it did reboot. I’ve gone back to my old phone which runs great with CM11. Now, after about 4 months passed by, I wanted to get the current version a shot. After booting the fairphone for the first time in months and enabling WiFi, it instantly rebooted. Then, after starting the download on 1.9.3 (been on 1.5.1 before), it rebooted again. It is certainly NOT Pokémon Go or a temperature issue for me. It can’t be you still can’t reproduce the issue after months?

Hello,

I’ve bought the Fairphone 2 two weeks ago and also experienced random reboots. The rebooting occurred indeed randomly and not during activities which are not that CPU intesive (internet, email, texting, charging). In the first week it rebooted several times a day and now once a day. But I use the FP2 now less often so that could also be the reason the frequency of random rebooting was reduced.

Reading this forum it seems a problem long known since introduction of the FP1 en FP2. Good to read that the IT team is giving it high priority.

My FP2 reboots randomly a few times each day, including when it is sitting untouched on a table and nothing is happening. I.e. It’s unlikely to be due to a loose battery

Could this be problem with the battery, not the phone? I was also having random reboot problems. Usually once to twice per day - normally when the phone was sitting on a table, not being used. I have been slightly disappointed by the battery life, so I ordered a 2nd battery. And after 2 days with the new battery, zero reboots. Uptime reports 39 hours and counting. I will report back in the days to come.

Sounds interesting. I never tested with a second battery but it could be a possible reason. I hope this solved it for you in the long term as the random reboots are very annoying on an otherwise quite good device.

I have returned my FP2 to Fairphone. Hopefully the reboots are gone when I get it or a new phone back.