FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

I’m realy suprised how I could mitigate the reboot issue on my fp2.

The only thing I changed is the position of my two sim cards. Just switch the cards in the slots and switched the funktion of the cards also. Same cards same funktion just another slot for the cards. One card is used for data and one for calls/sms.

So i the End no reboots since more than a week. Supprise, supprise!

2 Likes

I wrote down all reboots since installation of update 1.3.6 (2016-05-23, 21:32). I wrote down date/time, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth status, used app, background apps (not services), crash type (instant reboot, hang and reboot, reboot while not in use), later (since 2016-06-04 21:50) also if it was connected to the charger or not.

_ * = not experienced live, only seen PIN dialogue

2016-05-26, 02:44
2016-05-26, 06:15*
2016-05-26, 06:17
2016-05-28, 03:02
2016-05-28, 10:37
2016-05-28, 10:46
2016-05-28, 20:51
2016-05-28, 21:41
2016-05-29, 20:03
2016-06-03, 06:10*
2016-06-03, 15:28
2016-06-04, 09:47*
2016-06-04, 21:50
2016-06-05, 01:37
2016-06-05, 09:26
2016-06-05, 10:09*
2016-06-05, 10:16
2016-06-06, 05:02*
2016-06-06, 19:12
2016-06-06, 19:19
2016-06-07, 23:27
2016-06-11, 12:23
2016-06-11, 21:21

Notable is that there were long times without any crash:
May 24-25
May 27
May 30-Jun 02
Jun 08-10
At other times, the FP2 crashes twice within 10 minutes.

All crashes (except 2016-06-03, 15:28) occurred at home while connected to the Wi-Fi. All crashes since 2016-06-04 21:50 occurred while connected to the charger. But there were earlier crashes while not on the charger.

The location switch was permanently on, so GPS can be used anytime.

6 Likes

Nice list. It would even work better as a CSV list (see example below). Or have you done that and the forum software is only showing half of it?

Date; Time ; Wifi 1/0; GPS 1/0 ; SIM 1/0 ; Bluetooth 1/0 ; Crash type ; Charger 1/0

So GPS was on all the time? Could you try a few days without it? Just for testing? Are there people that have tried to use the phone without a sim card at all for a few days?

If I’m not mistaken @paulakreuzer used it without SIM for a while.

Yes I have. From January 5th or so when I got the phone to the release of Fairphone Open OS I used the FP2 without a SIM. Then until two weeks ago or so when I dropped it in the toilet I used it with a SIM. But I never ever had a reboot.

I have to search for his comments on that. I would like to see the “crash” comparison of a FP2 running without Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi, or SIM for a few days versus phones where either only either Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi, or the SIM is activated, best attached to a computer logging everything … or trying to find last_kmsg after the crash?

Does this work on a FP2, right after a crash?
$ adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg

Or before/monitoring
$ adb shell cat /proc/kmsg

Maybe someone could release a FP ROM with more debugging options activated? Or is it possible to get kernel logs right now? I would like see them.

Quick mention here: there’s a new update (1.4.2), with more stability fixes:

Inevitable mini poll:

I experience…

• …fewer reboots in 1.4.2
  • …no change
  • …more reboots in 1.4.2
0 voters
3 Likes

No reboots after i downloaded the 1.4.2 update. Could be good luck, to soon to say. But i have turned off all datatraffic but wifi.

Here also, no random reboot after 1.4.2 update.

I did no special things to my phone. 4G data, GPS and Wi-Fi are still on.

Well, I believe it not before the counter is at 168 hours (7 days).

1 Like

I upgraded to 1.4.2; on 1.3.6 my FP2 was basically fine, although once every couple of weeks I would get an apparently random reboot.

1.4.2 is very unstable. My usage pattern has not changed but now I am getting multiple reboots a day. They occur when I am using the phone most often but in different apps - I can be zooming in google maps, clicking send in FB messenger, selecting a photo in instagram. As a rule I am doing something on the screen though.

There are two additional aspects. About 1 reboot in 6, it’s not a ‘quick’ restart; it does the “optimising android apps” thing you get after an update. This takes maybe 20minutes and is a real problem - especially when it does it when I really need the phone! I know of no way to skip this. About 1 in 4 times, it’s not just restarting - it is crashing / screen black / whatever and requiring a battery remove/replace to get it going again.

Finally, I have had a few “system UI has stopped” errors at various points. Plus, I use the default FP2 launcher, with a static photo as wallpaper. On 2 occasions in the 3 days since i upgraded it has somehow lost the photo and reverted to a blue fairphone default wallpaper. this makes me wonder if there’s a systemUI issue underlying the reboots as well?

Anyway, all advice appreciated. I generally close a lot of apps so little is running in the background.

I moved your post here as this is the only topic about random reboots (I also removed your posts from the random crashes and reboots during phonecalls threads, as those are different issues.)

My first guess would be something went wrong during the update. Could you try reinstalling the update?

1 Like

Thanks Paul - I wondered if the phone call thing was different, as that was consistent with long calls in 1.3.6, and in 1.3.6 it was a guaranteed way of triggering a crash/restart for me (although not the only thing that caused restarts). I’ve done the update again - seemed to go OK - will see how it works out. It had seemed to work fine the first time of course :slight_smile:

No random reboots since update to 1.4.2 last week Wednesday evening. But I had to restart my FP2 manually last Sunday afternoon because it lost the connection to the mobile network.

That means an uptime of more than 7 days and 3 hours without a random reboot.

I’m at 88h uptime now with 1.4.2
That’s clearly my personal record without random reboots so far.

1 Like

I got random reboots since the update to 1.4.2 last week.
I tried to fix it with a downgrade to 1.3.6. But it didn´t help. So back to 1.4.2 and still random reeboots.
I wrote a support-ticket last friday, and still no answer.
All the fixes here in the forum did not helped. But it semes, that it helps a little bit, if i enable the mobiledata-use. (if this is the correct term)

Still no reboot since the 1.4.2 upgrade. 190 hours uptime. Hope this problem is really fix now.
Thx

1 Like

Pour ma part les redémarrages sont toujours présents. Avec et sans carte SIM. même si depuis la dernière mise à jour les redémarrages sont moins fréquent, il y en a tout de même minimum 5 par jours. J’ai envoyé un ticket à Fairphone en début de semaine mais toujours pas de réponse.
J’aimerais simplement avoir une réponse pour savoir si il y a des solutions ou les démarches pour réparations.
Je suis obligé d’acheter un téléphone en attendant car les redémarrages sont trop fréquent et m’handicap pour le travail.
Vraiment dommage…

Si quelqu’un à un tuyau, je suis preneur.
Merci
Pierre.

After the second go at updating to 1.4.2, my problem continues. The frequency of crashes/reboots may be a little less but it is still at least once a day, and almost all are blackscreen crashes where I need to remove battery or hold power for 10s, and then “android is updating” comes up when rebooting so the phone is out of action for 20-30 minutes. I noticed a software update to the Updater yesterday so when i have stable wifi today I will do the update again.

I have turned off automatic brightness control but that hasn’t made a difference.

After about 150h it happened again. But I can definitely confirm that the random reboots became less frequent in my case.

The former version 1.3.6 was 99% stable on my FP2, but since this week and the installation of the 1.4.2 version, I had 10 reboots a day. It seems to happen when a big calculation is running on the phone. I made 3 hard-resets after that and it seems to be a little bit better, but the pb’s still there. To replace the 1.3.6 version is useless in that case according to what I saw in this forum and I don’t know know how to do it! I hope a new version will help on that reboots issue…

2 Likes