FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

Maybe tweaking with location services helps as a workaround. Have a look at this:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-network-disconnects-gps-problems-and-re-entering-sim-possible-workarounds/20642

2 Likes

Ciao…
I’m linda from Italy
I am trying to solve my phone problems…but since I got it it never worked properly.

I received it on July 4th.

As several problems but the most disturbing on is of course the impossibility to call.

Can you describe more specifically what is not working?

Did you update your software to the latest version (1.5.1)?

If using the dialer app causes crashed, try to clear the cache and data from the app (All Apps → Settings → Apps → All → Dialer).

Did it already.
Updated too.

The phone reboot itself very often. Almost every call I make.
Other wise it just don’t call.

Also I have issue about the phone while is on charge. I can’t use it. If I need it I have to unplug it

By the way it never reboots randomly.
As I can read on a lot of topics.
Mine doesn’t call.
I probably spent my money in a fare object.
But not a phone at all… Since now.
I am writing since the first week I got the phone (July 4th) but none is really helping.
It’s quite disappointing.
I bought a smartphone and I can’t use it.
Do you think I can solve this situation or I have to give up.
Really sorry but I aspect a better costumer service.
Hope someone will help

Ciao

There’s no need to give up.
The support theme has a huge backlog, they just doubled in size recently to get back on track. See here:
https://www.fairphone.com/2016/08/04/were-sorry-to-keep-you-waiting-an-update-from-customer-support/

Personally I would do a hard reset or re-install the software manually, as I would guess it is a software problem. My other guess would be, that there’s a problem with the SIM card. Maybe you can try to take it out and put it in again, or try it in another phone if it works correctly there.
If you think it is a hardware issue, you will need to file a support ticket to let Fairphone handle the repair. Unfortunately these days we have to be a bit patient, but I am sure - if not yourself - Fairphone will be able to fix your problem! No need to give up! :slight_smile:

Disable location service and observe your phone. Bettter?

1 Like

Il try to tale out the SIM card.

By the way I'll need to use another phone while waiting because is not just anoing...

Why have a phone if I can’t make phone calls.?!

By the way thank you ... I really appreciated your help...

I chose fairphone because I think is a worthed cause.

I am not very happy right now but let’s wait and see…

Sent from my FairPhone

Location service?

Sent from my FairPhone

Settings/Location -> off

It is off.

Also is it normal that I can’t use the phone wile is plugged on charging?

Sent from my FairPhone

It’s been reported more often and seems to depend on the combination of phone+charger (and possibly cable). For some people this got better with the software updates, but it does still occur. For more on that, see this topic:

For the last 24 hrs, my phone has been resetting randomly. It’s now on the 25th reset in this period.

I’ve tried all suggestions above - removing sim card, removing battery, even a full factory wipe.

Having had the phone for less than a week, finding this rather odd.

Any thoughts from other commentators and/or moderators.

I have now tested using the latest FP Open OS and the issue is still frequently present. Guess its hardware related as not everyone seems to have it. As said before, in my case it only happens when screen is on so my conclusion for my specific case is that it’s related to the screen somehow, either in the connection, in the moderboard or the screen itself.

I guess that the only thing left to do now is to file a support ticket and hope that ex. a replacement screen could solve it. I’m not very pleased about the idea of sending the entire phone back to the Netherlands…

I just recieved an answer on my request number 116968, so that is the Number the Support Team is currently at, a Delay of 5 Weeks and 2 Days :slight_smile: they seem to be completely in the Dark about this issue, stating that it’s one of their top priorities and asking me for different ways to try and make it work (4G-> 2G/3G in Settings, flight mode, different operating systems), i wish i could be more involved in fixing the Issue, i think we would have quite a bit of community power here to make the Fairphone 2 work, if we could be helping in the troubleshooting :slight_smile: right now we can only estimate when there will be an answer for all of us :confused: not very helpfull in fixing the issue, i wanna fix this so much, i even bought a multimeter :smiley:

1 Like

Just to say after I got in touch with Fairphone support, they wanted my phone back for testing; I received a new FP2 very quickly and then sent mine back. New one is working perfectly, the support was great and I hope having my rebooting-phone back will help solve this problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve had problems with random reboots since the first week I had the phone (5 months ago).
Then I discovered that the screen had a bright spot. I tried to take the screen on and off with the only result that the speaker started malfunctioning. I sent the phone in for repair, describing my three issues: random reboots, bright spot on screen and bad speaker.
When I got the phone back the speaker was working correctly, the screen had a bright spot on another place, and I still had problems with random reboots.
Lately I did a hard reset and installed Norton. I also removed many apps like the Nova launcher and Moonshine icon pack.
I still have random reboots but, not as often. Only one to five times per week. I don’t think the random reboots will ever go away. I just accept them as a part of the Fairphone experience.

The worst thing is again the story about the support. I mean the bright spot that moved. I guess you have not been well informed by FP lthough you must have received a repair report. I received also a repaired phone. I guess you updated SW many times but you still have the same display module as before repair and same issues. The FP support cannot be called appropriate when they pretend to repair while returning devices that keep having the same problems.

i effed up and accidentaly broke out the nano sim instead of the micro sim. i fingered everything back together and pushed it in the sim slot.
does the phone crash/force reboot when a sim is loose?

Has anyone noticed any improvement on this issue since the last update?

I have had this reboot issue on my FP2 with OpenOS for some months. After the last update the issue seems to be (almost) solved. Or at least my phone has not rebooted since… :slight_smile:

Am I the lucky one?