FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

Not a good idea! When you take it out, the temp. diff. may lead to condensation and/or create humidity inside, potentially leading to damage of the electronics. Also fridge is not a good idea, as fridges have high humidity inside as well.[quote=“Gerrit_Grosskopf, post:298, topic:11553”]
also i bought a replacement sim since the crashes seemed to be related to the sim, now sometimes theres 2 icons of sims
[/quote]

Is this replacement SIM for the same contract? Not sure if that is a good either, to place two SIM for the same contract inside, as I could imagine (though I don’t know how Android reacts to is) this may cause a conflict.

Luckily i noticed that quick, realy dumb idea, but did no damage on the Phone and at 20 degrees it still crashed, right now i’m thinking if the Battery went bad or the Graphicscarddriver did something similar to the RX480 Driver that at peak powerconsumtion the Battery just can’t deliver that much through the given rails, but no hardwarefiddeling from my side :smiley:

So i should get another Contract so that my Phone works? weird, but i’ll try some stuff with cheap prepaidcards or cards from friends, fixing this is getting expensive :frowning:

No that is not what I meant. I am sorry, I may have misunderstood you: The way I read it was that you have two SIMs in your phone, both on the same contract (i.e. with the same number). That’s what I thought I don’t know if it would work. :slight_smile:

No i think there might be another misunderstanding, i only have one sim in the Phone, jet sometimes it shows 2 of those empty triangles, meaning that 2 simcards would have no connect even though there is only one in the phone and only one in the sim configuration :slight_smile: phew

I meet again (back) random reboots since 1.5.1 :frowning:

I had no problem anymore with previous versions…

My testing with clearing cache data and monitoring the RAM didn’t help finding a reason. When using the phone during an extended time using chrome or youtube also triggers the phone to freeze and reboot. So there absolutly has to be something building up over time causing this issue. Heat or somekind of process. Using google maps makes the freezing and reboot happen alot faster for me.

I will continue to investigate this as it’s a bit annoying that we can’t use the phone to it’s full potential.

Got a Samsung today, sorry folks, but this is too much for too long, these reboots are unbearable. Had a FP1 which stuck at android 4 and hoped for improvement with my FP2.
A product isn’t fair if it isn’t reliable,
byebye

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: :flag_fr: Random Reboots

Sorry guys, but i didn’t pay €500 and more, to get a phone that doesn’t work!
I’m happy to support such a project, as i said,but i except a partial refound at least.
Thanks

Sooo I did a factory/hard reset and it made things worse. Cannot get past the startup screen, due to a very frequent “Unfortunately, Google Services has stopped” error message and occasional reboots. Too bad. Google Play services was also a major factor causing the reboots before I did the reset.

Fairphone is very transparent in terms of where the phone comes from and where the money goes. If you look at the cost breakdown for the Fairphone 2, you’ll note that they need to sell 140,000 phones per year to stay financially independent. So that’s a slight hint of what their financial situation looks like and in such a state.

A good idea and transparency does not automatically make a perfect product. To some extend, even Fairphone has to make compromises and so did we when we bought this phone. According to Fairphone there are only four people in charge of the support, where tickets reach them from all over Europe. That is a heavy work load in my opinion.

If your complaint is justified, it will be handled accordingly, I’m certain about that. But instead of raging, remind yourself that you want to support the idea. And every single step, however small, can help to do that if it is in the right direction:

Helping people in the forum, exchanging experiences, giving detailed information about bugs, hardware errors, suggestions for improvements, searching and thinking before posting (to prevent duplicate posts and unnecessary support e-mails) etc. - all this helps to improve the product and push the project.

4 Likes

A few more days of testing and I have narrowed it down to the screen. The reboots only happen when it is on for a long time. I tried today to use navigation in google maps while the screen was off and it never rebooted. A few hours later writing a post here in the forum it hang and reboot.

well i hope it’s a software issue
cus if not they will have to get back ALL the phones to repair or replace

I [quote=“BGDHL, post:321, topic:11553”]
A few more days of testing and I have narrowed it down to the screen.
[/quote]

This. Since last week, I have some problems including that there is one line on screen which always recognizes a double input. Moreover, from time to time the whole phone is unusable because of random touch input. This can be workarounded by bending the phone a little. In my opinion the screen to board connection is badly designed. And this all leads to a screen problem for the whole phone.

I have some experimental theories, which say that the problems people have with the FP2 depend on the direction they bend it (display to thigh vs flipped if it is e.G. in a jeans pocket). :stuck_out_tongue:

Are we discussing two different things here? I had some problems now that my SIM cards were suddenly getting locked and had to enter the PIN. I have not seen the phone rebooting, even if I first thought that this is the (in)famous reboot issue. This happened about 4 times this morning and now it’s gone. Note - I have 2 different providers for the cards, so I cannot believe it’s some 3G/4G problem.
This SIM locking was also not related to any software upgrade, I have installed 1.5.1 since it was released, without any problems.
Also had no problems before with previous releases.
So I would also tend to go looking for connector problems - either by mechanical stress or maybe by thermal or humidity conditions.

For your issues, have a look at this:

1 Like

Thanks. Was not aware that we have this kind of issue, too - I was just following the wrong threads … Sorry.

1 Like

Right now i’m getting close to 3 Weeks with no reply from support and the Issues are getting worse, just had some Reboot-loops and the Google Music app seems to skip, pause or reverse music once the Sim reconnects, the chrome browser restarts every 10 seconds or so, i just wish i could help with this issue, has someone already tried clocking the cpu and gpu down to cap performance? Maybe it’s the Battery after all :slight_smile:

they seem to be kinda busy
i also get no answers yet

but as i said, i hope its just the software, cus if it’s not, we got some work to do^^

My FP2 has rebooted around 20 times today , it reboots and then I try to unlock the screen and it does it again. Took the battery out for a bit and it seems to work now, unless I try to use Google Maps, WhatsApp, Facebook or basically any other app I want to use. Not sure what to do about this!