I am not a member of the beta testing group. I was referencing a post by community moderator @paulakreuzer that has since been redacted. I think this highlights the problem that I, and I assume others here, have about this problem. There is a lack of communication on behalf of the fairphone team. I wrote the support team, but other an auto generated email there has been radio silence. There used to be a link to this thread in the list of known bugs check before you post thread, which has since been removed. There is no mention in the Fairphone 2 software issue report.
Again where is this officially stated? I would really recommend that you update the software issue report, seeing as the next release is close to being finalized anyways.
And how long can I expect to wait here? A month? Two? Q3?
I am getting a bit anxious here as my cooling off period is coming to a close very soon, and I am not sure i want to put up with with a phone that reboots daily, while inactive no less, for the next couple of months (or longer). I wouldn't tolerate it if my notebook had such a flaw, why should i tolerate my phone having the same flaw?