FP2 Open OS: I can't modify authorisations given to apps

Hi all
I’m completely new on Android and on Fairphone since I received my PF2 2 days ago… I had a very basic phone beforehand and I feel today like a Nokia 3210 user jumping on the smartphone world, ie another dimension… :wink:

My issue is perhaps very easy for some of you, but very hard for me, even after 3 hours spent on forums trying to decrypt how things are running on Android.

So

My device: FP2 with Fairphone Open OS 17.4.0

My problem: I can’t modify (astonishing) authorisations given to apps

How I see it: I go to settings (paramètres) > Apps (applications) > all (toutes) > Agenda, for instance,
then i scroll down and I see Authorisations: this app can access to the following elements on your smartphone. I clic on a given authorisation, then I get its description BUT I cannot MODIFY those authorisations.

What I want to do: I want to restrict authorisations, like, as another example, I don’t want my camera to access to GPS location, Wifi accesspoints, etc… because I don’t want to share data to anybody/anyone/anyhow etc…

My questions:

• is it a normal behaviour?
  • should I become a superuser/superadministrator ? (root ?)

PLEASE HELP ME

From France with love,

LLB

Yes, this feature is not included in Android 5.

Yes that would be an option. With dic:root + dic:xposed + dic:xprivacy you can restrict permissions for any and all apps.

You could also wait for the Android 6 Upgrade for Open OS - then a basic permission restriction function will be integrated. It’s not as powerful as XPrivacy, but probably easier to understand.

2 Likes

While some apps are of course sharing data, it is not necessary to be paranoid with all of them. The camera app uses GPS to add a location to the photos you take and this behaviour can be disabled in the app itself: swipe from the left side, then press the gear icon. It doesn’t request access to wifi.

Android 6 is coming, I suggest that you wait until the FP Open Android 6 appears, probably within a month.

3 Likes

THANKS Paul, I am impressed by how fast I got an answer on this forum (waow!)
I will investigate and try your solutions then come back to share the results, then I will watch out Android 6 when released.

Have a nice day,

LLB

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.