FP2: MicroSIM adapter broke SIM card slot pin

So I was trying to remove one of my SIM cards from the FP2. Turns out that it was a nanoSIM inside a microSIM adapter. It got a bit loose and took one of the pins with it. You can see it on the picture, the right SIM card slot is missing the rightmost pin. I managed to salvage it, but I don’t think there’s much I can do with it - it’s probably too tiny to be soldered back in place.

I’m thinking about buying another SIM card reader from eBay or something, and then soldering it above the broken one. The back cover should still fit if it’s thin enough. On the other hand, I didn’t see an easy way to remove the broken SIM card slot.

I contacted support and they suggested a self-repair or a repair shop - the SIM card slots are micro-soldered on the board. But I thought I’d ask here first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, this is a tough one! :neutral_face: Could you post a photo with the main board disassembled, to have a better look of the SIM card slot and the surroundings?

I didn’t disassemble the main board, but I found a workaround for now!
Right above the SIM card pins, there’s a tiny rectangular metal part (you can see it on the picture if you zoom in), which is actually connected to the pins themselves. So I soldered a wire that’s slightly sticking out, and in fact it’s sticking out a bit too much, the SIM card is bent. But at least it’s making contact and it’s low-risk regarding breaking the rest of the phone!

To everyone who sees this: If you are using a nanoSIM with a microSIM adapter, be VERY VERY EXTREMELY careful when removing it, don’t let the pins get tangled!

5 Likes

I wold like to add that storing a micro SIM adapter without the SIM in the slot will do the same. I detached my SIM to put it back in to my old phone and had a hard time to get it out again. with some plastic-foil from a old screen scratch-protector i was able to go underneath the card holder and get between the pins so that i didn’t brake mine, but i wold for sure never do that again… Maybe i should pass that to the FP Team so they can build the next phone with pins showing up from the opposite side…
Regards, Novski

3 Likes

Hi, unluckily I didn’t read this post before … So, I broke my SIM1-Slot the same way :unamused:
Probably, I will never use two SIM-Cards, so I will use the second at the moment. But there are some issues, when using die SIM2-Slot when roaming, so I will try to fix it.

Anyway removing the SIM-Card is also very diffcult!!! This is not a very practical solution!

For the moment I suggest a repair kit “SIM-Card Slot”

Exact same thing happened to me as well, using second slot for now - a SIM Card Slot repair kit would be useful!

hi same thing happened here to me…unfortunately both SIM-Slots are broken now :confounded: any ways to get spare parts and repair it???

Same again wrecked both sim slots. Repair kit please !!!

I have the same problem. How can I fix it?

I encountered the same problem, and at the end of February discovered the roaming and SIM-slot 2 problem the hard way (in the arrivals lounge in Bangkok).
So when I returned home because of the problems with roaming I asked a couple of local repair shops if they could fix it, both said they could not as the damage meant they were unable to microsolder new contacts on and they cannot get spares.
I have asked support both twice over the past six weeks whether it is possible to get spares, and have not received a reply.
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the sim slots, and if so where to get the necessary part(s)?

I just realized I have the same problem as you do. How did you guys solve this, or did you possibly get an answer from the support team? As I’m currently travelling I’m kimd of im trouble since I can’t use slot 2 without the phone going crazy…

I managed to do a self-repair. If you look at the red circle on the picture, there is a small metallic surface on it that’s connected to the broken pin. So I carefully soldered a small copper wire on it and carefully inserted the SIM card. It “works”, but I’m afraid to move the SIM card because the wire might fly off. But I’ve had it like that since late January without any issues at all.

If someone has a better solution, please share!

I did get an official reply from support, as stated in my original post. They said it’s not possible to replace the SIM slots, they go together with the main board, and also they’re not removable. They told me to do a self-repair if possible, but unfortunately the main board is now out of warranty and I can’t have it replaced.

Though, given how many people seem to damage their phones the exact same way, I think it should maybe be considered a FP2 defect at this point. IMHO using a nanoSIM with a microSIM adapter is part of intended usage.

8 Likes

I found the problem was fixed by the Fairphone software upgrade (I
discovered the Issue in South East Asia and am currently visiting the
Netherlands with a SIM working in my only useable slot - slot 2). My
phone is at Fairphone OS 1.4.2 level.

I am unsure from what you say whether you have a working SIM in slot 1
as well as slot 2, if so this may be a new problem, when I was in Asia I
disabled the SIM in settings and used Wi-Fi when available, if you do
need to upgrade than you should be able to install it this way while you
are travelling.

I have to say in my case support have been totally useless, I have not
even had the courtesy of an acknowledgement despite sending three emails
to them since February. I notice that some others have had a responses,
which seem to have been totally unhelpful.

Allan

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Support request not answered yet

Hej there,

I found a sim card slot, that looks very similar to the one on FP2 (see picture). It is the one from the Nokia Lumia 635 (very similar) or 630 (similar).
I am waiting for a person to micro solder it - once it´s done I will update you.

3 Likes

4 Likes

And does it work? Can you call somebody with a SIM in that slot?

1 Like

I don’t think “waiting for a person to micro solder it” is that fast.

I think the picture in post #16 shows the new SIM slot already soldered in.

1 Like

Sub module repairs! Having just experienced a USB socket failure (needing a whole new bottom module to fix) I wonder if the parts have been correctly divided among the modules. The Seymour Powell consultancy who did the industrial design seem to have designed some pretty good stuff over the years; but I can only say it “looks nice” rather than being functional. Probably more “creative” / “concept” people than engineers, so probably they didn’t do much reliability centred design.

It will always be the bits you interact with that are easily damaged - USB, buttons, screen, sim-card and sd-card slots - but on FP2 these are hard to replace without replacing a big chunk of phone. Hey, at least you CAN replace the modules, but a whole new mother board to repair a sim card slot is a bit too much.

Took my old bottom module apart for fun; and found that the modules themselves come apart quite readily, being held together with clips and screws (not glue) so there is scope for some “inside module” repairs (you can easily remove the speaker and the vibration motor in this one) - but you can’t always reach the PCB tracks and there’s no way to replace a USB socket.

Hope the SIM slot repair worked out.

1 Like