FP2: MicroSIM adapter broke SIM card slot pin

Hello, good news - the person beeing able to micro solder my SIM slot was finally back from vacation and it worked!
Unfortunately, it is not the easiest thing to do and you have to have some experience in soldering and use a binocular or similar to actually see what you are doing.
One pictures shows the removed SIM slot. As you can see, there are 6 contacts on the upper part of it - but when the slot is attached, you can only see 5. That is a problem, because you can not solder behind the metal cover. So we
bended it a little upwards and back after soldering it, worked. Also, the two slots are connected to each other, so you have to to that as well. it is important to attach the metall part in a proper way so it pushes down the SIM card to make contact.

The second pic shows the soldered in SIM-slot.Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic before putting it back on the silicon part, and I dont have the tools at the moment to take it apart again, but maybe you can see enough here. You can see the soldering between the two Slots - this is done twice, on the upper part and further down. Also you can see some soldering between the contacts.
All together it took approximately an hour (taking apart the phone, unsolder the old slot, solder the new one and put everything back together). So take your time when you plan on doing this.
I hope this information helps.

6 Likes

Hello Stefan,
no, it was only a pic of the SIM slot I bought to show you the similarity. But now it is soldered in, see below.

1 Like

Hello Cocolade
do your have a source for this particular piece?

Sorry for the late reply

http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/161483749632?lpid=106&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

3 Likes

Dude thanks a lot… I did this and it works…
But the thing is- only one sim card works (idea)… I tried with reliance and vodafone sim card and it wasnt working.
If the connections were bad then even the idea sim card shouldnt have worked, but it works perfectly…
Any idea why other sim cards are not getting connected despite the proper connection.

1 Like

New (left) old (right). Who can spot the difference?

4 Likes

The right one has a snapped spring in the not used simcard slot.
And I guess the new one has a different design to prevent the little bits to break. :wink:

Am I right?

But hopefully it is the same footprint on the PCB.:sweat:

4 Likes

Exactly. :thumbsup:
I hope with the new Sim Pins this issue is a thing of the past.

Hi Paul,
What can be done if we have a damaged one of the old kind? Can we buy one of the new design and attempt a repair along the lines described above? Are the new-and-improved slots on sale?
ISC

The slots are not sold separately. I guess the best thing you can do is get a new motherboard and sell the old one on the #market to someone who doesn’t need two SIMs.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue. Are the motherboards out of stock at the moment?

I just wish to say a thank you all for this topic.
I had the same issue, I ordered the proposed SIM reader parts (from aliexpress, as it was significantly cheaper, even if I ordered 10 of it), and also with some help managed to replace the damaged one.
Without the topic, and the description, that this was possible for someone else, I would have gave up.
So a big thank you all, I my world is bright again.

7 Likes

Hi everyone!

I took the decision to replace my SIM card slot, now that I found a replacement. One question though: How do you remove the big semi-translucent plastic above the SIM cards? I haven’t managed to find instructions for that, and iFixIt only shows that it’s possible, but without showing how :frowning:

1 Like

I think you have to open the screws on the inside of the midframe:

iFixit

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: The different screws of the FP2

Hi FPs (friendly peoples) I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. But I soldered it, and it works fine now.

You’ll need:

1. Very still hands
  2. A soldering Iron
  3. A solder for electronic work
  4. A grinding tool
  5. A broken sim-card slot

if you still have the broken metal piece which is about this tiny: - try to solder that on, I lost two of them so I just made two solderballs where the metal pieces were. then grind it down flat, til the SIM card just gets bent a little bit, when you push it in. Make sure they DON’T touch eachother and it touches the SIM Card. it still has to touch the metal pieces, which aren’t broken, so this is a little tricky.

GOOD LUCK FPs

1 Like

Hi, please can you give us the link of the aliexpress product? thanks!

Hi.
As I guess, @pipacsba1 was referring to this posting by @Cocolade

You will find the mentioned parts on aliexpress at 0.25 $ each.

Or you get it on eBay from 2.69 € each.

Just some searching on those pages did the trick. :wink:

I’ve just encountered the same problem here breaking off one of SIM 1’s pins as I was switching SIM cards to use both as a dual sim phone. I would really like to fix this somehow, especially as I’ve just invested $ on replacing the headphone module and a new battery! I don’t have any experience of soldering or anything, are they are tips for someone like me to try to find someone? I.e. what sort of person/shop does this and should I order a part beforehand?

There is no substitute sim card slot, as with other phone providers. Do it yourself or buy a new motherboard for 379 euros. Welcome to the family of sustainability.