[FP2] Metal case for better cooling / heat sink

To clear the intention for my question: if a phone gets so hot, that the owner cries for a heatsink, then I guess the battery can not last longer than 4 hour. I wanted to know, if my guess is right.

1 Like

Ok, my misunderstanding of the project. Yes, I agree, an improved heatsink should have no or very little RF sideeffects.
About the other phone manufacturers: They simply use a different antenna design that takes the metal case into account. And this is not always for the better - you find several articles on the web that show that apples iphones show degraded antenna performance since the introduction of the metal cover.

Spielmops: Yes, you are right about battery usage, it is the “law of conservation of energy”.
I would prefer less heat and more battery life time but that’s not the topic of this thread.

Not the topic, but this was the goal …

Your guess is wrong.
Besides the CPU heat sink (not the battery again) gets hot by charging as well. I was first surprised and FP couldn’t give me why the CPU would get warm while the battery is still at room temperature. I would draw the hypothesis that there is some kind of inverter next to the CPU which gets warm as well…

I didn’t know about that. Perhaps a metal grid would offset the problem :slight_smile: (not that I am smarter than Apple or Samsung… :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Yes, that’s right.[quote=“wli, post:25, topic:23450”]
Your guess is wrong
[/quote]
If my guess is wrong, then correct my value.

Is this irony or is it really right? From your nickname and your nay-saying I would say you’re German, so I believe it’s no irony.
I have no idea how power from the battery is given to the phone circuitry. I assume there must be some DC/DC inverter particularly as the voltage decreases upon use.

Unless the GPS is active, my battery works from 8 hours (with lots of 3G use) to 2 days.