FP2: How to use the Dual SIM feature?

Sorry, I don’t know the answer.

You’ll have to ask Qualcomm, as it seems a ‘feature’ of their chips (note how non of the options includes two concurrent data plans):

(Note that the Fairphone is a DSDS phone, and not a DSDA phone - it could be that the DSDA phones do support this, I’m not sure)

The FP2 has one Modem. So there is only one connection at a time possible.
If you would want to have two connections, you’ll need a second modem.

In the FP2, the modem is (see here) included in the main processor (“SoC”), so the cost for the dual-sim-feature is minimal (a second SIM slot :slightly_smiling:).

But I don’t get why I would need two connections. I only can phone with one person at a time and having two data connections would be problematic because of different IP-Addresses…

2 Likes

@retsifp: Thanks for the helpful explanation. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know, if I can keep my own telephone company for my private sim card and use another company for my sencond (work) sim card? Will that work in the same phone?

Yes, this will work. Why not? :slight_smile:

Yes. But be aware that you only can have 1 SIM active for data. Of course you can switch which SIM gets the data.

Ok, thank you. I think I will stick with one SIM card. Sounds too complicated.

It’s not really complicated. It’ s just changing a couple of settings. If you get used to it, you can do that in a few seconds.

it would be nice to disable the Dual Sim feature, so as to avoid the second SIM card icon always cluttering the phone display, might anybody know how to do this on the FP2?

Hi @howard,

somehow my reply didn’t become a reply to your post… weired. So re-edit and name personally.

You’ll have to install xposed and use its module … GravityBox, I believe. It could be another, but I assume GravityBox will do the trick. In order to install xposed framework you’ll have to install TWRP recovery and root.

There is already a feature request for this.

I also thought it, but it is listed as “not possible”.

I changed the wiki-entry for this to [needs verification] as I only read it once in the forum, but did not tried it myself…

1 Like

I this case I understand, if there is no 2G network, with FP2 it is no longer possible to receive calls from two enabled sim cards?

On the 2G network you can recieve calls and sms and very very slow internet.
On the 3G network you can recieve calls and sms and internet.
On the 4G network you can recieve calls and sms and fast internet.

@Lidwien: I don’t copy that. Do you have a source for this?
I think that it’s technically possible to do calls over LTE (VoLTE), but as far as I know it’s not used yet (there are exceptions, but they need specially modified firmware).
And calls over 3G is not possible due to the high latency.
Since SMS is a GSM (“2G”) service, the phone always switches to 2G when sending / receiving a SMS.

Your list is right if you see it from the user side: When you have a LTE-Connection, you can phone and do SMS, but the phone always switches to 2G and does these things and switches back afterwards.

So @maba007: As far as I know, the modem firmware first connects to the 2G net and then looks after higher tech network.
The reason for this is quite simple: The 2G net has the highest range, so if there is no 2G, you normally can assume that there is no net at all. :wink:
I think this is a software-“issue” so you should get an update which fixes this long before any 2G net will be shut down.
In fact, this is no Fairphone-Issue since the modem is standard. (Many phones use Qualcomm modems)

1 Like

Correct, I made my list seen from the user.

A logical explanation. Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

When I go to About > Status > SUBS Status > SIM1/2 > type of mobile network

• SIM1 shows LTE.
  • SIM2 shows unknown.
    (both sim’s are enabled and have signal) That’s a little bit strange but everything works.
    Is there a cool app for analyzing mobile network stuff?

I think this has to do with information that your SIM transmits to your phone or how it transmits this info. Both of my SIMs show “unknown” but work fine. In this context, I made an observation. My Spanish SIM from Yoigo never showed its number in Settings–>Sim cards while my German SIM (Congstar) did. I always thought that was because of roaming, but now, after getting a replacement SIM from Congstar, it doesn’t show its number either.

Dear Irina,

I’m quite certain this depends on wether your telephone number (so called MSISDN) is stored on the SIM or not.