FP2: How to use the Dual SIM feature?

4G is backwards designed to be able to give 2G and 3G as well.
So if one SIM is having 2G and the other 3 or 4G, both SIMs will work.

But what if there’s no 2G network within reach? What if one day the companies decide to switch of their 2G networks?

1 Like

If there is 4G, then there is also 2G.
To answer your second question with another question: What if the provides switch off 3 and 4G as well?

Is this a technical condition in the 4G standards? Can with any 2G only device connect to any 4G network?

Then there’s no network left. So yes, when the 4G networks are switched off because all the frequency bands are needed for 5G, 6G, 7G, will I still be able to use my FP2 or my old 2G-only Nokia?

Well as I said 4G is backward compatible with 2G.
Yes there are countries closing down there 2G or have just one provider still providing 2G. Reading this wiki about 2G will tell you more about it.
In the Netherlands 4G isn’t available everywhere. It will take years before 5G is available in the Netherlands.
So let say that in 5 years time 2G will be switched off. Do you think your mobile will last another 5 years.
I don’t think so. By then you will have a new mobile. You still can call with a mobile which can do 4G. It’s up to you if you want to use it to the full benefit using internet on your mobile.

Are you sure this is the case? As I understood it 4G is a completely different network technology than 2G, so I would not take this for granted.

I can definitely say that my FP1 is only able to use 1 SIM card when I am in Japan since there is no 2G network in Japan (only the one that is enabled to 3G). Only 3G and 4G networks are available over there (and unfortunately 4G on differents bands than supported on FP2, which was somewhat expected).

Yes, 4g uses a different band, but at the moment there are countries where you can’t phone with 4G.
Therefore providers decide to use SingleRAN (Radio Access Network) which is a complete system that is modulair and all contemporary techniques (2G, 3G, 4G, and all intermediate) supports.

Hello,
does anybody know how I can link / connect / chain (verbinden) a single number of my contacts with the SIM card of my choice (SIM1 or SIM2) in the contact app? You have a general choice in the SIM card settings whether you use SIM1, SIM2 or you will be asked every time, but it seems not individually adjustable for each number. Do I need another app then?

Hey guys,
I’m thinking about splitting up my future mobile-phone contract. I then would have one sim with my data traffic and the other one for calls sms etc. Is anyone doing it like that one the Fairphone 2 and is it working properly?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with me :wink:

I use a sim from provider A in sim1 for calls, and a sim from provider B for data.
As you can only grant one sim 3/4G, I think it would be no problem to split them.
The one question I have is what is the advantage of doing so.

@JonathanSchreiber I moved your post here. Btw, you created the same topic twice, I guess that was a mistake.

Oh sorry, that wasn’t on purpose.
@Lidwien what does it mean to being just able to grant one sim 3/4G? Isn’t that just important for data or am I mistaking?
I think about getting two contracts because I want 3 gb data and you can get that for less than 5 € and than I would just add another contract with some free calling and messaging units.

You can’t enable two sims on 3/4G in the Fairphone.
One sim gets 3/4G for data purposes and the other sim gets 2G for calling and sms.

Some providers only offer voice over 3G (so no 2G fallback). This is rare, but does happen. Three UK is (or was, after the merger with Orange?) such an example.

Yes. I do that. I have set SIM1 for calls and SMS (as 2G only) and SIM2 for mobile data (as 4G).

1 Like

Hi all !

I have 2 SIM Cards in my FP2, both have voice.
By default all calls go out from Card1.

But sometimes i want to make calls from Card2. How ?

Thanks / Regards / Roman

Hi @RomanS, I’ve moved your post to this topic as it already provides quite some answers on various aspects of the dual SIM functionality. Perhaps the information from this topic quoted below is what you’re looking for? Not sure whether there is a way to temporarily override SIM selection in a more convenient manner…

1 Like

to complicated! Go to settings/sim-cards, scroll up until you see “Calls”, click on it and chose: “ask”.

Spielmops

1 Like

In FP1, there is a sim selector in the notification bar when you open the calling menu. I miss it in the FP2.

4 Likes

But there is a little bug. If you set it to “always ask”, you have to wait about 5 seconds before selecting the SIM. If you don’t wait long enough, you’ll only get an error message.