FP2 Frequent crashes requiring reboot by holding power button >10s

It seems for me the problem disappeared by disabling 4G. Now I have the phone up and running for 6 days and 15 hours without any reboot, before I had a reboot at least every 2 days and sometimes every day, without any repeatable scenario.
The only thing that changed was disabling 4G, so I vote for this :slight_smile:
Iā€™ll try to re-enable it next week in order to do one more test, I will let you know :slight_smile:
Bye!

1 Like

Iā€™m experiencing crashes too, about once a day. In my case, the phone freezes for about 5-10 seconds, then restarts itself. This happens while using the phone, e.g., browsing firefox or using other apps. It doesnā€™t seem to cause any damage or lose data, but itā€™s irritating. Fortunately hasnā€™t happened (so far) during phone calls. Any advice appreciated.

This is exactly the same behavior I had before disabling 4G, the phone freezes for some seconds and then restarts or switches off.
If you have 4G enabled try by setting 3G mode, I solved it instantly :slight_smile:
Bye!

Thanks! How do I set 3G mode? Canā€™t find anything in the settings of on the forum on how to change that.

update found it under settings > mobile networks. But could only change it for one sim, not the other. Letā€™s see if that helps.

Youā€™ll find the options under Settings->Other->Cellular Networks and then you can select for one of the SIM cards the 3G network, while the other is automatically set to 2G.
Please note: if for example you have SIM1 set to 3G and want to switch the SIM2 to 3G, you must first set the former to 2G, otherwise the option for SIM2 will be still greyed and wonā€™t let you select 3G (I was driving crazy the first time I wanted to switch the networks :P)
Bye! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have the same problem. It has happened 4-5 times since I got the phone in march. I see people have this problem everyday! I think 4-5 crashes on a newly bought phone is quite bad,
It happens when the screen is shut off, i think allways wifi is on, and I cannot activate the phone. By pushing the on-botton somethimes the locked screen flashes for a second.

1 Like

My FP2 also freezes frequently and requires a reboot by pressing the power button for >10s. That makes it really unreliable to be available for callers, or to be alarmed on time.

1 Like

Same problem hereā€¦ frequent crashes, sometimes with screen on, but most often when the phone is turned off.

1 Like

Interestingly, before the last update, I had random reboots all the timeā€¦ they seem to have disappeared in favour of these crashes. Not really an improvement :wink:

Set my phone to 3G mode; still experiencing the same freeze and crash phenomenon, followed by the phone restarting itself. :frowning:

Same problem here, happening on average 2-3 times per day. Usually while Iā€™m actively on the phone doing something, but no consistency on what applications. Also had this happen in the middle of a call where the call continued but the screen was black and nothing happened on pressing buttons.

Every time i have to yank the battery which gets really annoying.

Mostly mine freezes with the application open bit nothing responding, but also like others report Iā€™ve had the black screen treatment where I find it just unresponsive with a black screen, no buttons working. Yank the battery and switch back on, all is well until the next crash.

1 Like

@RCheesley, have you tried long-pressing the power button (~20 seconds) instead of taking out the battery? Though not really a solution to this problem, it certainly made the restarts less annoying for me.

@DjDas, I followed your recommendation of switching to 3G only to see whether that makes any difference. Initially it worked a couple of days without problem, but then suddenly it froze 3 times in a single day - so this is not a reliable workaround for me either.

After that day, I put my (only) SIM card back into my old mobile and just used the Fairphone with the WiFi connection, e.g. listening to music or browsing the web. It lasted much longer in that state, but last night it froze again. Since it wasnā€™t essential for me to turn it back on immediately, I connected it to the PC via USB and found the following strange behaviour:

• The PCā€™s file browser opens with four windows showing the phoneā€™s directory structure, as if I had somehow inserted 4 USB memory sticks at the same time. Shortly after, the directory contents disappear again from the file browser windows, as if I had pulled out the USB sticks. Then, a second or so later, three new file browser windows open and again showing the phoneā€™s file system(s) temporarily. This repeated until I unplugged the phone to make it stop.
  • I tried to connect to the phone via adb, but adb devices doesnā€™t even show the phoneā€¦
  • ā€¦neither does fastboot devices.

I donā€™t know of a way to see the phoneā€™s battery level, so Iā€™m not sure if it is because the battery is flat or something else or whether it is charging at all (the LED stays off)ā€¦ so donā€™t really know what I could do next to help debugging this problem? Any ideas are welcome!

The strange behavior when you connect it to your PC makes me think that it could be your SD card. Did you already try without it or with another one?

Sorry for the late answer. I have overlooked your post and obviously havenā€™t paid much attention to the whole topic yet. :confused:
Itā€™s now on the list, where it belongs.
Sorry again.

I have the exact same problem. After last update. Phone just goes black. Holding powerbutton but nothing. This is a dealbreaker for me, canā€™t have a phone behaving like this.

Donā€™t mind, all is fine. The software team has already been aware of it and apart from (maybe) some new people not instantly finding this topic (which indeed mostly affects you as mods), no harm was done. :wink:

1 Like

Some day ago (last Saturday) I had 2 strange reboots/power-offs in a few hours between each other, I say strange because I didnā€™t reactivate 4G since I discovered its link (almost for me) with the abnormal reboots; but I remembered I donā€™t always use the Peace Of Mind app to enable flight mode at night, but some days I simply disable one SIM leaving the other on during night (for work); so after the 2 reboots I disabled and re-enabled the second SIM and didnā€™t have any reboots until now.
Could you try the same operations in order to see if anything changes?

The strange behavior when you connect it to your PC makes me think that
it could be your SD card. Did you already try without it or with another
one?

I donā€™t use an SD card (though I plan to use one once this is resolved).

Thanks for the info, but I am not quite sure how to reproduce your operations becauseā€¦

• I only have one SIM card
  • I never used the Peace Of Mind app
  • I usually donā€™t set my phone to flight mode at night.

So what are you suggesting I should try?

Uhm your scenario is really different from mineā€¦ Iā€™d suggest you to simply try to disable and re-enable your SIM card after a reboot and setting it to 3G.
Do you switch off the phone at night? If so, could you try to let it powered on but using flight mode to disable radios?