FP2: Fairphone OS & Fairphone Open 21.12.0-rel.1

Fairphone OS & Fairphone Open 21.12.0-rel.1 are now available. You can get them through the Updater.

Changelog

Issues fixed since the previous Android 9 release (21.10.0-rel.2).

• Update to security patch level 2022-01-05
  • Additional security fixes:
    CVE-2021-39659

Please report any (new) issues through the public bugtracker and upvote existing issues if you are affected. As usual, please specify the steps to reproduce, and provide as many details as possible.

8 Likes

Not being shown to me in the Updater (in beta mode: “Your operating system is up-to-date”) so far, but this might be related to very odd battery behaviour – the charging level kept (actually still keeps) jumping between 10% – 2% – 50% – 1% – 50% within seconds (not sure if that’s about hardware or software). Will the update only show with battery level above 80% or so? Fairphone Open 21.12.0-rel.0.

We did not do a beta release for this update, instead it directly went public today. Beta mode in the Updater is currently in use for testing the Android 10 upgrade, so you will receive the update only if you are on e.g. 21.10.0-rel.2 with beta mode deactivated. You are already on Android 10 by the looks of it, so you will not receive this Android 9 update.

4 Likes

Oops, sorry for my sloppy reading! :blush:

One of the security fixes is an interesting one where the Microsoft Teams app prevented some users from calling an emergency number. There’s an explanation in this Ars Technica article

Rahman says Google’s bug for this is CVE-2021-39659, which the monthly security bulletin categorizes as a high-severity “denial of service” vulnerability with patches for devices running Android 10, 11, and 12. In the Android codebase, Google is actually backporting this fix all the way to Android 8.0, which technically isn’t supported anymore. This is mostly purely theoretical since zero manufacturers are actually pushing security updates to devices this old. But the code is there if anyone wants it.

Not quite zero!

4 Likes

Hi,

Updated my fp2 without any issue.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi, update installed without problems. Hanging GUI seems to be solved too. But:

Vibration motor doesn’t work any longer! Tested also with CheckUp.
Only at beginning of the boot sequence there is a short vibration, so motor is o.k.

Can’t reproduce it (I e. vibration motor is working on my FP2 running this version). So I don’t think it’s a general issue of this OS. Are you sure do-not-disturb is deactivated - as I can only reproduce it when I turn this on (then also CheckUp test does not generate a vibration).

3 Likes

After factory reset vibration works again. The FP2 now runs so good that I won’t have bought my FP4 knowing that earlier :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. (No, of course not)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.