English

FP2: Fairphone OS & Fairphone Open 21.05.0-rel.1 release

Fairphone OS & Fairphone Open 21.05.0-rel.1 are now available. You can get them through the Updater.

Changelog

Issues fixed since the previous Android 9 release (21.03.0-rel.2).

Changes specific to Fairphone Open:

• Update F-Droid app to version 1.12.1 and privileged extension to version 0.2.12
  • Update Chromium WebView to version 90.0.4430.215

Please report any (new) issues through the public bugtracker and upvote existing issues if you are affected. As usual, please specify the steps to reproduce, and provide as many details as possible.

12 Likes

Observation (and invitation to others to try and verify/falsify):

I updated to Fairphone Open 21.05.0-rel.1 a couple of days ago. I now find that when I take the usual step (hold power + volume up, like 20+ seconds now actually) to enter AOSP Recovery Mode, I am now taken directly to the Recovery Mode menu. There is no longer a step in between like before when the belly-up Android would be shown and you’d need to hold power and briefly press volume up again to proceed to the actual Recovery Mode menu.

Anyone can try if this works for you, too?

1 Like

I can confirm!

For me, as any power on, it’s about 2-3 seconds.

I also just noticed: when long pressing a volume button in the menu, it highlights the option in green but doesn’t actually do anything. Not very relevant but still a fun fact :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Observations: the whole system is a lot snappier, mainly noticeable with the the camera which does indeed start up a lot faster, which is nice.

My system ran quite slow anyway because I’m running some modules in EdXposed and it’s a little better now - although I still can’t get the module Physical Button Master Control to work since the update to Pie. Most importantly the launcher doesn’t get killed when I’m doing memory intensive stuff, so backing out of apps takes a lot less time now. So thanks for a good update!

Edit: I’ll also add that this update and the previous one were the first in my history with the FP2 to not necessitate a full reflash. I had my backups at the ready, already fearing the worst, but it just booted like it was supposed to. Not a data point exactly because as specified I run a bunch of stuff that really screws up the system, but worth remarking upon at the very least.

3 Likes

My odd FP2 seems to be back at four active cpu cores again, now that it received the 2021.05 update, https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp2-with-android9-upgrade-release-cpu-cores-1-and-3-active-only-others-are-parked-offline/73179/7

3 Likes