FP2: Fairphone OS 19.11.2 release

Does this release contain a fix for the Android “StrandHogg” vulnerability?

No it does not. There is no fix available from Google for any of the current Android versions. The only protection known to us at the moment is to only install apps from trusted vendors.

According to the original publication by Promon, malicious apps exploiting the StrandHogg vulnerability could be installed even through the Google Play Store. Of course this makes it difficult to protect against this vulnerability. Unfortunately, we do not have any other information at the moment.

4 Likes

One fp2 updated with no problems, the other fails in TWRP with" Zip signature verification failed" and leaves me in TWRP, booting from there gets me back to the OS but retrying gives the same result, tried clearing the cache incase the download was corrupt but no joy

I tried again with the zip verification off and got an error
E3001: Package expects build fingerprint of Fairphone/FP2/FP2:7.1.2/19.02.1/gms-dc48370a:user/release-keys or Fairphone/FP2/FP2:7.1.2/19.11.2/gms-24df0be9:user/release-keys; this device has Fairphone/omni_FP2/FP2:6.0.1/MOB30M/13:eng/test-keys

The Fairphone updater says my existing OS is Fairphone OS 19.02.1

During the update process my FP2 ended up in the TWRP main menu without any idea what to do next. Rebooting only brings me back to this menu. How to proceed from here? Is there a way to still boot properly?

Welcome to the community forum.

Worth a try when in TWRP …

A little more detail in between …

Apart from TWRP a manual install has helped people …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/207914363

1 Like

Many, many thank. Locking up the .zip in the /cache was exactly the information I needed. I was certain that the updated version has to be located somewhere within the filesystem, but I did not dare to poke around. Again many thanks

1 Like

Update went without any issues, notification after first boot was there, too, system continues working just like it did before. Thanks for the smooth update experience!

3 Likes

Running this update for a few days definitely makes me very happy. I feel like all regressions since the first Android 7 release (that I cared about) have been fixed. The WiFi fixes are a big step forwards to being practically usable again, and coincidentally seem to have improved battery life as it’s no longer constantly reconnecting.

2 Likes

Installation went fine, but I had no possibility to connect to Wi-Fi anymore at home. I have Mikrotik Access Points using their CAPsMAN method (wlan controller) and I could connect to them anymore with my FP2.

Other devices like windows10 laptop and an iPad tablet did still work fine.

Removed associations on FP2 and tried to connect, not possible, requests denied.

After puzzling with the FP2, I tried to experiment with the Mikrotik and it seems that with their software version 6.46 I needed to provision the configuration again, no changes in configuration are made, just the provisioning whereby the AP’s renewal their Wi-Fi configuration.
May be related to the software update changes from Mikrotik last week (or week before) and some security fixes on both sides.

Installation went for me very smoothly.
Just the first boot after install lasted very long. Just after that, I got a notification to enable OpenGL ES3

2 Likes

The new update wasn’t added to https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/213290023-Fairphone-OS-downloads-for-Fairphone-2 yet fyi

5 Likes

I have gone through the update to 19.11.2, and here is what happens:
Download successful, APP says to restart to continue
I do so
Phone reboots to a “TeamWin” image, then NOTHING
I wait for 15 minutes, then open up phone, remove battery
replace battery
turn on, phone boots as though nothing happened.
My guess: the update was not properly tested.
two SIMS in the phone, plus 64gb sdisk.

PS - I have tried now 3 times. same each time.

I moved your posts here because your concerns are being discussed here already.

Worth a try when in TWRP …

A little more detail in between …

Apart from TWRP a manual install has helped people …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/207914363

Rather, there are issues with the bundled TWRP version, that’s why it gets replaced with the Android stock recovery with this update (once it installs successfully) …

3 Likes

actually, hold the power button for 15 seconds didn’t do anything at all. That is why I had to remove the battery.

By the way - I get a “teamwin” screen - but no menu, and no reaction from any buttons.

You could try to boot TWRP without installing it and see whether that gives you the menu … see #twrpwoflashing.

2 Likes

The update went trough, I have some weird behavior (reboots, apps crashing) but the biggest issue is that it doesn’t boot in recovery. I’ll try to update again manually later.

Link to fp2-gms-19.11.2-manual.zip not there yet. Please provide as I can´t use OTA update.
Thanks,