FP2: Fairphone Open 18.10.0 (Android 7.1.2)

I contacted the DAZN support again and widevine DRM is indeed required. Thanks!

1 Like

So Iā€™ve installed the update several weeks ago, shortly after it came available and letā€™s just say Iā€™m extremely unhappy with it.
Hereā€™s a list of issues Iā€™m experiencing since Iā€™ve done the update. Iā€™d like to know if other people have these troubles as well. All of these issues appeared since the update.

• Why is turning location settings off and on disappeared from the quick access menu? Very annoying youā€™ll have to go into your settings every time youā€™d like to turn them off or on.
  • Troubles with turning the phone off and on. The phone wonā€™t turn on while charging. Instead of turning off it restarts, I have to take the battery out to actually make it turn off.
  • The phone does random restarts. Sometimes even 5 or 6 times in a row. Just putting the phone down gently on a table or putting it in my pocket makes it restart. After every restart I lose 10% of battery life.
  • The wifi connection sometimes doesnā€™t work. It doesnā€™t want to connect to available networks, even when they are visible and saved. Sometimes it doesnā€™t show networks at all. Restarting the phone always works.
  • The youtube app has become very heavy, energy consuming, and making the phone very hot. Sometimes while watching a video the image freezes, the audio becomes distorted and it switches between pause and play rapidly, even though thereā€™s enough buffer. Switching to a lower resolution helps.

And just a note of critique, but I like the previous lay out better.

I might be forgetting about some small issues, but these are the most annoying ones. Iā€™d like to know if anyone else has similar experiences or Iā€™d also like to hear if thereā€™s anything I can do about it.

At this point Iā€™d rather have a downgrade back to the previous version. If anyone knows how to do that, Iā€™d love to hear.

Thanks

A lot of answers to your questions youā€™ll find three posts above in the link posted by @AnotherElk.

ā€¦ or when you have swiped down the quick settings completely, you could tap the small pencil icon at the top of the screen and edit the quick settings to have the location switch back in them.

Reboots related to movement or small shocks hint towards a slightly loose battery.
Please see the batteryguide .
Else please see the rebootsguide .

This is a community forum, not the company. Fairphone staff might read along and engage occasionally ā€¦ or not.
For feedback to them Iā€™d suggest dropping the company a line via email or using the bugtracker.

Next I guess you would like to look into installing one of the many launchers out there, which you can configure to your liking. Android is very flexible with this.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
That pencil is indeed very useful, I didnā€™t notice it before.

Unlike maybe other fans I general do not like to spend hours tweeking and figuring out how things work.

Anyway, thanks for responding

Finally Iā€™ve found someone with the same problem! Have you found a solution?

Install the latest TWRP and make sure ZIP verification is disabled in the settings.

Iā€™ve just tried to update from 18.04 unsuccessfully.

First try: Downloaded 18.10.0-sibon-280f64b0-ota.zip and matching opengapps package, installed both via TWRP. I ended up with the Fairphone logo and the four blue dots scrolling past for as long as I cared to wait. To be sure I updated TWRP as indicted above and installed both images again. No change. After that I reinstalled my backup system image to get a working phone again.

Second try: Fairphone Updater
From the restored system I opened the Updater and it offered me 18.10 right away - no 18.04.3 transition image. I deleted cache and data of the updater app but was still only presented with 18.10. So I gave that a try and ended up in the same situation as described above.

I would like to give the transition image a try but I fail to find a download source for that as well.

I have not particularly tinkered with my system image apart from having installed opengapps. No root, no encryption. Any ideas? Iā€™m going to restore my old system once more for nowā€¦

If you have a backup of your data, not only of the OS ā€¦

At that point you can try a factory reset in TWRP to get the OS to boot.

If this doesnā€™t help, you can try the manual install procedure via fastboot (download the manual file for this).

I have tried various things in the meantime:

• Fastboot did not help. Same problem after flashing
  • I wiped my data partition as suggested. This made the system boot into the OOBE wizard
  • So I tried to restore my data, turns out that apparently my internal storage filesystem was totally messed up. Restore always failed, eventually I discovered that it was a file system issue. Data from internal SD was already gone at that point, so I formatted /data completely. Restore worked after that. With my data restored Iā€™m staring endlessly at the four moving dots again. So the whole system seems to have an issue with my data partition. Is there any way to get logging of that part of the boot procedure? ADB does not seem to find a device at this stage. I cannot turn USB debugging as I never get into the system.

I have no experience with an SD card used as Internal Storage, I always left it as external storage. So I can only guess ā€¦

Would it perhaps work to remove the SD card, factory reset in TWRP again, and then restore your data to Internal Storage without the card?

How did you backup and restore your data? Simple copy via USB? Titanium Backup? MyPhoneExplorer? Anything else?

Yeah, this whole internal SD card thing causes plenty of confusion. I did not mean the additional (ā€œexternalā€) micro SD card that Iā€™m also using but the internal storage space on the data partition that is usually available via /sdcard or something like that. The file system on the data partition got damaged somehow.
My external micro SD is absolutely fine and was luckily also the place I stored the backup in.
My system and data partition backup was done via TWRP, the data from ā€œinternal SDā€ was copied via USB.
For now my 18.04 image is running again. Iā€™m considering to manually uninstall all installed apps to see if that makes a difference. If yes, then I might try to identify the app causing all this trouble. Otherwise Iā€™m pretty much out of ideas. I have no intention of completely starting from scratch at this point.

1 Like

I installed it since some weeks and I have found that the new os version is very unstable. I have a lot of reboots (none or almost with previous one): 25 in about 1 month.

1 Like

I would like to share some positive criticism:
Android 7 works very good on my FP2 and without any error so far.
The energy consumption seems to be lower than with Android 6. One battery charge suffices over a longer timespan.
A nice feature of Android 7 (which most people will never notice at all) is that a button is highlighted if one hovers the mouse-cursor over it. If I usually operate the phone with a mouse, this feature is very helpful for me and helps me to operate more quickly and with less misclicks.
Another nice feature, I think, is the option to manually rearrange the symbols in that quick-task roll-down window according to your personal preferences.
:christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Hi folks,
just updated to Android 7.1 with an update for TWRP first (latest is working fine), then download of the relevant fp2 update at https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/user/fairphone-open-source-os-downloads.html.
Downloaded openGAPPS and Xposed. All worked fine. I only forgot to update gravitybox to Android 7 (Nougat).

The new browser firefox Klar is a joke, isnā€™t it? More privat, less comfortableā€¦etc.:sob: even no bookmarksā€¦

Please can somebody update that wiki: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/pencil2-update-guide-for-a-modified-fp-open-os-with-gapps-xposed-and-more/21117
with the links and update sites?
It took me hours to get through all the forum to find out the relevent needs I had!
Thanks to all for the support and work! In the end it worked out nicely!:smiley:

I think the forum is a mess! A lot of links and tipps and hints where to look and to get the info you need!:tired_face:
and please change the headline to 7.1, it makes a difference for some downloads, if there is Android 7 or 7.1.2

1 Like

Itā€™s a wiki, so why donā€™t you update it? You just went through the whole process, so you should have all the necessary links in your browser history, right?

4 Likes

Hi
Here I can read that the reboot issue was fixed. So when can we expect the roll-out of the update? https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/154
This is really annoying, well, uncomfortable :wink:
Thanks
Markus

Where hav you read this? The linked ticket just says it is a duplicate of https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/7 and this ticket is ā€œin progressā€

i have 2 quick questions:
1)should i update now or wait until the bugs are fixed
2)will it delete anything on my phone? pictures, settings of apps? will apps stop working,ā€¦ etc.

Look at the bugtracker and see if any of the bugs are a no-go for you.

It can always happen so itā€™s always advised to do a dic:backup first (and regularly).

1 Like