FP2 Bricked - Recovery Help

I got everything flashed. However I am wondering why I can’t get permission to do shell su

You are using the stock rom. They do not provide rootable/google free images (yet). If you want to become root on the stock images, you have to follow the “Root with Superuser” part in that is also linked in the howto.

I didn’t have the superuser app installed yet

It’s not about the app. I can only recommend to read the full article if you want to become root on the stock FP2.

I know, I know, I know. But interestingly, a rooted phone will not grant root access without superuser.

If you uninstall Superuser and try to shell: su you get permission denied. With superuser, your phone will say “Superuser: shell access granted” or something.

So I rooted but didn’t install the app yet and still tried to change permissions. That didn’t work.

My guess is that you are using a terminal emulator on the phone. The real Android shell is accesed by executing adb shell from a computer with the device connected. I think that’s the shell where you can su without Superuser installed, but I’ve never tried it without a “superuser manager” app installed, being honest.

(Sorry if I’m wrong, it’s just a guess. Let me know, anyway)

No, not doing that either. Just try it out. Uninstall superuser, connect phone to the PC and try to adb shell and su. You’ll get permission denied

I’ve not rooted my FP2-OSOS yet (I’ve not needed it yet), and my former Nexus 4 has CyanogenMod, so can’t really uninstall Superuser. Maybe someone can try it out and see if that’s the correct behaviour.

Well, as typing su pops up a permission window I can imagine this. But I only know SuperSU… Guess there is a critical component missing, then…

1 Like

Superuser provides it’s own special “su” that can be controlled in various ways, the app somehow controls a “white list” what software can become root and so on.

SuperSU works similar and is more or less the same.

If you have issues with superuser, just install a working recovery and install SuperSU.zip through the zip file instead.

Good luck!

After installing the FairPhone OpenSoure OperatingSystem following http://code.fairphone.com guide (in fact, https://gitlab.com/fposos/builder) I was unable to install the stock ROM following https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207914363-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-for-the-Fairphone-2 instructions.

When I tried the FairPhone update method, number 1, I got “File not found: /cache/fp_update_.zip”.

When I tried the adb method, number 3, I got “E: failed to verify whole-file signature”.

When I tried the fastboot method, number 4, I got “FAILED (remote: data too large)” with fastboot 4.2.2+git20130529-5.1 and “error: update package missing system.img” with fastboot 5.1.1.r29-2. Used fastboots are from Debian.

Finally I extracted the zip and flashed each partition individually:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot reboot

With this last method I recovered stock ROM successfully.

1 Like

Hi,

Have a bricked FP2; endless bootloop…
I already tried hard reset, flashing partitions with fastboot, with and without wiping, applying update via adb.
I also tried within stock recovery and within twrp flashing partitions from sd-card.
Nothing helped, still in bootloop.

I don’t really know how (or why) the mess started, but i had sailfish os running without problems, then replaced the camera (focus problem) with a replacement. since trying to boot afterwards i’m stuck in bootloop.

I have a second (working) FP2 here, maybe this could be useful to solve the problem?

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Johannes

Problem solved by doing nothing :slight_smile:

I left the phone connected to the charger for some days, when i checked this morning i saw the android configuration screen…
I had left it charging and waiting (and rebooting all the time) over night before, but maybe it wasn’t long enough…

So for anyone with the same problem:
conect to the charger, start (= go to bootloop) and just wait :slight_smile:

4 Likes

An external SD card (which you inserted in the slot) will not be affected by flashing.
The internal SD card (eMMC) is stored in “userdata”. Don’t flash this partition if you want to keep your files, or back them up before you flash.

This topic became a victim of repeated spamming. Let the moderators know if you feel that the topic should be reopened - a short motivation would be appreciated.