FP2 bottom modules repairs by Fairphone - Refurbished modules

From the bottom module page:

For all Fairphone 2 users whose device is not covered by the manufacturing warranty anymore, we are also able to offer you a refurbished replacement bottom module via a repair by us, however we donā€™t cover these costs.

I didnā€™t remember having seen this before, the web archive tells me it wasnā€™t here on Oct 7th, but Google Webcache tells me it was here 4 days ago. Has anyone contacted Fairphone and actually asked for this repair?

10 Likes

Wow :open_mouth: I really hope someone does the community a favour and takes the hassle and cost of trying this.

Here's a screenshot (as the page looked previously) of the webcache link Alex kindly provided

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got to be ready to pay up to 60ā‚¬ according to their price list thoughā€¦ A hefty repair, but sometimes still worth it!

2 Likes

I have enough bottom modules with broken microphones in order to put myself into deep debt trouble

2 Likes

Itā€™s possible, but I wouldnā€™t take it for granted that you need to send in a broken bottom module first for this new offer. Well, thatā€™s why it would be so helpful if someone could report about the process. :thinking:

1 Like

ā€œI have a problem with my bottom moduleā€

ā€œYeah? Whatā€™s the problem?ā€

ā€œItā€™s invisibleā€

ā€œWe canā€™t fix that. Hereā€™s a replacement. Thatā€™ll be 60ā‚¬ā€

1 Like

I would like to test this solution but when I click on Fairphone website ā†’ ā€œServiceā€ ā†’ ā€œRepairsā€ on fairphone website, I am sent to a page where it announced ā€œOops The page you were lookinf for doesnā€™t exist, You may have mistyped the address or the page may have movedā€. How can I find the repair shops ? Thanks by advance.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know exactly where you clicked, but hereā€™s the form to contact support:
https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

4 Likes

I want tp test this solution : " refurbished replacement bottom module via a repair by us"

Have you read this page?

Yes, you have to scroll down on the page and click on ā€œget in touchā€.

2 Likes

ok, thank you very much

Apparently the total is 75 Euros:

While the individual repair part prices seemed to suggest shipping and handling is included, the top listed handling charge does seem to come on top of those. :frowning:

3 Likes

Yes I have to say this is disappointing.

Fairphone not being able to refurbish the modules themselves have chosen to farm this out to the subcontractors who naturally want to do the ā€œrepairā€ themselves since that brings in extra cash.

But it defeats the point of a owner-repairable phone.

I know there are or have been, various initiatives in the community aimed at repairing bottom modules especially, and I saw hnmsā€™ post in Marjolaineā€™s topic. What are the ways forward? I wonder if FP have any further plans for manufacturing bottom modules? Whatā€™s the market? My FP2 is working fine, but I take great care plugging in the USB ā€¦ I wouldnā€™t say ā€œnoā€ to having a spare, but not for 75ā‚¬ :frowning_face:

2 Likes

This price is more or less the same as a german repair shop charges. they sell the mic itself for 20ā‚¬ so as its not a mass production it seems to be a reasonable price for the work. That just shows what a phone would cost when really produced in Europe and although I was a bit shocked when seeing the price for the first time and I would say its not worth it for a 6year old phone, it shows the obstacles this industry is facing by producing in china and think at the end the price is fair.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.