you can get quite some parts from mouser.com or digikey.com. But you need information about the parts.
It would be super nice if we can get some BOMs of the modules
The question is where can we get those?
In the meantime we can get two broken modules and make a working one.
Maybe some have a loose USB connector and some have a broken microphone.
(most likely more broken USBs )
Have done some search again and happened to find that shop for spare parts:
Of course Fairphone is not listed on that page. But maybe a compatible one can be found.
When you look at the microphone-pictures, you can see numbers printed on them, but those numbers are not given anywhere, so I doubt they are any good for searching.
I guess that “how to” for replacing a microphone is nothing you need, but maybe it’s helpful for someone …
Jep, that happens easily with surface mounted devices. You can try to scratch away the black coat on the line and place the mic a little bit shifted to the scratched side. For a good soldering result you should use soldering paste on the solder pads.
And please tell us about the result.
Hey @ElKrasso, thanks for these great photos!
I have here a bottom module with a non-functional micro-USB port, and I thought it might be the same. I observed the port through a binocular loupe. See the result:
(sorry for the lousy photo, it was taken by my FP2)
It seems it is full of dirt (which couldn’t be seen without magnifying), but there are also two cracks, shown by the arrows. The don’t seem to severe to me. What do you think? I can try resoldering them, though I think my tip is also way too big and I don’t have soldering skills as good as yours.
on the photo the cracked solder joint are obvious. But these are only for the shield and on both sides are additional ones.
I can not see cracked data or power conatcts. I would just resolder all contacts and give it a try. Maybe you solve the issue just with that. It is worth the try and enhance your solder skills
At first when I tried it, it didn’t work. I wasn’t too surprised.
Then today I tried it out again. And surprise… it worked!!! I had to nudge it a bit before it accepted to charge and to be recognized by adb, but it actually worked! Now, I can’t be sure whether it’s the soldering or the dismounting that helped, though I would tend to say the soldering.
Only negative which I saw only after having remounted everything: I let a bit of tin on the mic (as you can see on the photo), and it seems to interfere with the recording sometimes (but the mic still works). I may have a look at it to remove it sometime.
Even though it was probably out of luck, I repaired my first bottom module. Let me be proud.
I also want to share my experience with repairing the microphone.
From one day to the next my microphone didn’t want to work anymore. This was not the first time but now, I can’t buy a new bottom module…
I read a few times that the pcb tracks are maybe cracked. So I opend my bottom module, heated it up to soften the glue and the solder and removed the microphone from the pcb. And the result was: All three tracks are broken (now) (see picture below)…
The solderpads of the pcb were still on the bottom side of the microphone. And as you can see, there is a short between two of the four contacts. After cleaning up and solder removing, you can see in the green pcb of the microphone, there is already a short between these two contacts. Therefore, the microphone need only 3 contacts to the board.
I scratched away the black of the three remaining tracks so that you can see the copper and you have new contactpads for soldering. The microphone contacts got new solder (a little bit too much) und flux so that there is enough which can flow to the new contactpads. I put the microphone back on the pcb, a little bit displaced so that the solder is over the new pads, heated it up and pressed it to the board.
How did you do that? My FP2’s microphone does not work any more. There is no waranty left, so, having not much to lose, I would like to try to repair it like you.
Currently, I’m at this point.
I don’t know how to go further.
I don’t manage to take the circuit out of its case.
Won’t I break it?
How did you do?
As you can see on my pictures I didn’t take the PCB out of its white case. But with the heat you will probably attack the case and melt it a little bit. When you are careful, a little bit of melting won’t be a problem, but you need a hot air piston so that the hot air will hit only the microphone. Otherwise I recommend to separate the PCB from the case.
Thanks for your reply.
I was impatient, I had no hot air piston, so I put the PCB and the half case in my oven.
It melt, and, as I was not careful, it melt more than few.
Well this half of case is not usable any more now, but I was able to take off the microphone.
The phone is still usable with only half a case for the bottom module and no primary mic.
I’ll try to solder the microphone some day soon.