FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

Of course I thought of that… this SIM is new… and the last SIM didn’t work so great either… so I have some trouble believing that a new one will solve the problem…

Well, maybe you would get another SIM type… Since the providers are integrating several extra features into their SIMs, there might be a difference.
Or change the network provider… Right now I’m at my mother’s and I can literally see how my battery drains. And it has always been like this, with my old Nokias as well. If I would live here, I would have already changed the provider, because my mother doesn’t have this problem with her network.

1 Like

Easy to say… But as I said “prepaid”… And it’s the second one… The previous were of a different provider

Also even if it’s in there but not activated it’s the same problem. Same with brand new sd card…

So I can’t use the dual sim feature nor the sd card feature…
The camera stinks…

I paid 500 CHF for this phone… Is this a expected behaviour of a phone that expensive?

It is not normal, I have 3 sim cards, I always have 2 in the phone, not always the same and I never had this kind of issue.

Maybe your prepaid one has a really bad network connection and consume a lot to find a better spot?

3 Likes

Calm down a bit, don’t be too pessimistic :wink:
You have identified your sim problem and even better - it is solvable.
So is the potential problem with the sd card. Do a check / repair of it’s file system on your computer. Consider the content. Naming conventions of files or folders or tags, defective files. Quickest measure might be to temporarily change the card after copying the whole content.

Mine is quite ok. It may be a little too much at the moment but let me suggest this Camera problems (streaks & flickers) - #41 by s99h

Today I’ve found this beauty by the wayside during a cycling tour. Glad to have my FP2 with me.

1 Like

First of all excuse my english I am no native speaker.
Problem:
Quick battery drain. I used Tom Tom Navigation, Display was set to second darkest level. I started driving with 98% battery. After one hour (120 km driven) the battery was drained to 15%. I can’t believe this is normal? Before I used a Samsung S3, the 3 years old battery lasted for 4-6 hours!
If this is normal behavior, the Fairphone is completely useless for me
Any ideas?
Thanks

Michael

I hope that someone can share his experience with Tom Tom Navigation and the battery life.
You may also be interested in this more general post that also addresses the battery life of the FP2. It has more or less become the “official” thread for the FP2 battery life when using the phone.
I am still figuring out whether there is a problem with my FP2 (2 hours of surfing with Firefox drains the battery by approx. 45%).
It would be good if Fairphone released some battery life test results for the FP2 to have a reference.

This is most likely firefox itself. Though Firefox is my favorite browser I never use it on mobile due to it’s high battery drain.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer. I am aware of this problem :frowning: Still, I wanted to mention a possible benchmark (it should be noted that my FP1 lasted longer when using Firefox - maybe due to the less powerful CPU, the smaller screen etc.)
Anyway, I do not want this thread to become an off-topic one. Has anyone else had a Tom Tom Navigator experience similar to the one by @Babelfisch ?

1 Like

Since 29. April 2016 the playstore contains an update to release 1.10. There should be an option to lower the battery consumption.

I had a similar problem while using google-Maps yesterday.
Have been driving for about an hour and used a car-charger, so the battery didn’t drain fast, but the phone got extremely hot despite lowering the display-brightness. On the way back it apparently got so hot that it restarted on it’s own (I had never experienced spontaneous restarts before).

So my guess is that the problem is with the GPS-module.
Can anyone else confirm high battery usage from Navigation-Apps?

I’ve done some testing using Google Maps and HTML5 navigator.geolocation. Latter is basically GPS position detection using JavaScript.

If you constantly track your position this way, it massively drains the battery. The testing isn’t really trustwothy as it wasn’t done under pure testing conditions, but … with turned-off screen, the battery was drained by roughly 70% after roughly 2 hours.

Since navigation apps like Tom Tom also need some sort of position tracking (GPS?), especially with screen turned on (having said the screen is by far the most consuming part of the phone), I can see similarities.

What do you think?

On a side note, when maximizing energy-saving efforts and at the same time barely using the phone for anything, a full charge lasts for almost 7 days.

Easy for you to say!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I still don’t see how my SIM problem is solvable as ANY SIM card I put in the 2nd slot is a disaster…

Then I’ll follow your advice for the SD card… but I already did change it for a completely new one!!! out of the box!!! [quote=“s99h, post:168, topic:12334”]
Quickest measure might be to temporarily change the card after copying the whole content.
[/quote]

And my camera is the worst ever!!! I contribute a lot to the forum subject on that… :unamused:

Still I think that this is a lot of problems for one new phone…

If that includes the SIM card that works fine in slot 1, then there may be a hardware defect in the SIM slot.

Did you see the posts about people getting their cameras / phones replaced? Especially if you can trace your other problem to SIM slot 2 with certainty, then getting a warranty replacement (phone) seems like the only thing that is going to make an actual difference.

2 Likes

Of course I have and I also have an open support ticket… waiting for the answer… but this is my SECOND FP2 which came as a remplacement of my first FP2…

So as you can imagine why I’m not very confident that a change of phones will actually correct problems… :worried:

I think you just have had bad luck, because, as far as I know, hardly anybody has this extreme battery drain. So the third try should do it…

But of course it could also be that certain circunstances (a combination of apps, SIM, network coverage in your area, usage ) are causing that drain… As I’ve said before, when I’m at my mother’s I have to charge it twice a day. On the one hand that’s due to the poor network coverage and on the other, because I use it much more as an computer than I would do at home.

It’s definitely the second SIM card… I cleaned and insertend the SD card again till now everything is (more or less) normal…

I need my second SIM card but don’t dare to put it in…

Even if it’s a prepaid SIM, you should get a replacement from your provider when you ask for it. So I would really give it a try.

But I would suggest to do some things first:

• Try your SIM 1 or another SIM in slot 2. Any problems with the battery? If not, I think your second slot works well. If you do, you might have a hardware problem.

• Search the forums of your provider if there are other people that experience such a battery drain. There might be an issue with a certain SIM type, so maybe you get a hint which SIM type should be avoided.

• Since you wrote that you don’t receive too many calls on your second SIM, you could set up a call diversion from SIM 2 to SIM 1, so you don’t lose any call, until you find a better solution.

3 Likes

In my case the problem of rapid draining battery started with 4G.

With 4G activated in one of the SIMS battery lasts only half time (4-6 hours), turning it to 3G battery lasts for >8 hours.

Evidently, other things may contribute: as the operator quality signal, in my case Yoigo which has a poor antennas distribution; or using too many apps in background (as facebook, twittet, newspapers, mails, …)

Regards,

1 Like

OK, ever since I got the new OS update as of yesterday, I’ve twice had a problem in which my phone overheats and the battery stops properly charging - continuing to drain energy even as it’s connected to the cable. The first time I solved it by switching off the phone for half an hour - attempting that again now.

Question for the forum - should I ask FP to send me a new battery, or is this possibly a cable problem? I know next to nothing about cables - am currently using a standard white cable provided originally with my kindle paperwhite. Is the new OS possibly to blame?