FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

And here it is after SD card insert. Phone’s not hot…

It’s normal that the wifi is always on: it’s set to be on when in charge. I don’t understand though why the SDcard should cause the phone to be awake more often when the screen is off…

So I’m guessing the 2nd sim card is responsible… I’ll check that after… just ordered a new sim card just to be sure I have the most recent one…

Are you using the second SIM card to establish a data connection, and do you have some weather app installed and running?

No data connection for the second SIM card and yes I do have a weather app installed and running (the same as before the update, the same with my FP1… same settings)

On a more personal note I don’t really appreciate your tone when you respond to my messages… In case you haven’t understood that yet, I am a great fan of fairphone (my FP1 is first edition) and I’m quite miserable with the problems I’m constantly having with my FP2 (also first edition).

Battery life sucked since the beginning… getting better when my phone was remplaced but problem comes back WITHOUT any chance application wise… One day it’s OK, next day WITHOUT changing anything it’s a disaster.

Now it’s since the update… WITHOUT having changed anything application wise…

So if this means that with every update I have to do a factory reset YES it is a Fairphone problem and I don’t think it’s normal. That is my opinion and I stand with it even if you don’t agree with it… so be it.

I very well understood from the beginning what you were saying but not finding it normal to have to do it again and again and again is my opinion. Because since all those battery problems (like since forever) of course I did a factory reset several times and of course I installed apps one by one without having been able to identify the problem…

You do not use your phone in a normal way either. Would you expect Fairphone to recommend the use of Xposed and GravityBox? Your setup is quite experimental and just one of many in the field. Fairphone neither has connections to any of these app developers nor do they try to optimize their OS to support these apps. Use them at your own risk.

It is like you are driving a car wih bigger tyres that are not standardized while you are complaining about tremendous fuel consumption.

Regarding your phone: If you want to use it in a similar way and should you experience any problem that you cannot solve by yourself, then of course you can ask other users if they experience similar issues. But do not expect Fairphone - the company - to solve issues with some app(s) which really might cause them, whether it might be under Fairphone (Open) OS or with any other Android platform.

You may express your feelings about my tone in a personal message.

3 Likes

Whatever… You don’t decide what’s appropriate and what’s not… and as your tone is public…

No it’s like I’m driving a car with bigger tyres and I have normal fuel consumption and then I take it to the garage for a service and when I get it back, out of the blue nothing works as it should including fuel consumption.

And by the way I’m not the only one with battery problems and at first my “out of the box not rooted FP2” had the exact same problems… Many people have similar problems with a more “traditional use of the phone”. I met somebody that didn’t know anything about rooting and similar, just wanted to use her phone and she said to me that she had so many problems with the FP2 that it made her want to change phones… one of her problems with her “out of the box not rooted FP2” was battery life…

Taking the SIM card out greatly improved battery life with Xposed and GravityBox still running which makes it obvious those applications are most likely not responsible for battery life.

And being able to use 2 SIMs on the phone who advertises 2 SIM cards IS a Fairphone problem!

And what does that mean??? a similar way to whom? yours? And is this not what I’m doing asking others for help? I don’t expect Fairphone to solve issues with some applications I really want them to deliver a functional phone… which they didn’t to me anyway from the beginning…

I get it you don’t like Xposed and GravityBox but I do and applications like that make me want to have a rooted phone like Fairphone.

Anyways I don’t want to debate this any longer… I always find help on the forum without having to justify my choices…

This is weird… I did what’s recommended here and fixed the wifi parameters to never be on if screen is off but I eventually realised that phone doesn’t care and it keeps the wifi on anyway… :worried: Is this a bug? anybody else observed this?

This should not happen. For me it seems to work (also being on the latest FPOOS), and my phone also can go to deep sleep. Maybe you have an app that requests permanent WIFI access? What network stats do you get in Better Battery Stats when the phone is supposed to be in deep sleep over some hours?

1 Like

When I am somewhere without a known wifi no problem… phone today lasted for several hours without connecting. BUT if I’m somewhere with known wifi it stays on all the time… like at home or at work… I’m guessing this is the cause of great battery drain…

Whatsapp seems to be active a lot… I tried to find a way to change that in the application, for the time being I’m not being successful…

Also phone is very very hot while charging and it’s charging in a weird manner… at the beginning quite fast but as soon it gets too hot charging slows down… it’s really really hot, I could burn myself if I hold it… :disappointed:

Interesting fact:

I just changed my second SIM card for a brand new one… I put it in the phone and battery started a count down and was at 0% in a few seconds and phone turned off… :frowning:

Phone immediatly turned very very hot and it’s still very very hot while charging…

SIM slot maybe broken? (Try to put SIM card 1 in SIM2 slot, leave SIM1 slot empty.)

1 Like

Yeah I did that but SIM1 works fine in slot 2 and SIM2 works fine in slot 1… phones stays cool, battery life is OK. BUT as soon as I put the two of them in… hot hot hot, countdown and phone turns off in a matter of seconds…

This is very weird and illogical.

Does this happen only with these two SIM cards or also when you insert two different SIM cards?

Does another FP2 behave so badly when it gets your two SIM cards?

I don’t have any more SIM cards to try (!) but as each individual SIM card works fine alone and doesn’t create any problems I’m guessing that it would be the same with some other cards…

I know that it’s weird… my FP2 is quite fond of doing weird things… I finally wrote to support and waiting for their answer…

Support’s answer came and it’s a general “battery problems answer”. Unfortunately nothing about SIM card related… :frowning:

I write in french because I’m not so good in english.:Il faisait assez chaud ici en Alsace aujourd’hui…
la charge de mon FP2 s’interrompt quand la température monte au delà de 41…42 ° et le voyant s’éteint . L’arrière du téléphone est très chaud et la température peut atteindre 47°. Si je le met au frigo , la température baisse et il recommence à charger…
mon FP2 a un peu plus d’un an …

est ce la batterie qui commence à faiblir?
Avez vous eu ce genre de problème? et que faire ?
Merci d’avance pour vos réponses
Dominique

I found out what the problem with my battery is!!!

The data connection 4G, 3G

I was on vacation and turned the data off… battery worked fine lasted quite long, phone worked fine… didn’t get hot at all.
Then I came back… at the airport I turned the data on. My phone was at 60% and one second later it was at 20%!!!

Since it gets really hot, battery lasts very little… this is definitely not normal behaviour, is it?

PS apparently nothing to do with any particular applications.

2 Likes

This has just started happening to me. Brand new phone (Support replaced mine a few months ago due to restarts). The battery would last probably 7-8 hours max. (100% at 8:30 when took off charge, It would be dying by 17:00ish if I didn’t charge it.

Yesterday it just drained really quickly.

Today, took the phone off charge at 8:30 at 100%. It is NOT connected to mobile data. It is not connected to a Wifi ssid apart from about 30mins first thing. It’s mostly not been used sat on my desk at work (due to no data connection). It’s now 10:44 and the battery is at 15%. So, it’s lost most of it’s charge with no use in about 2 hours. See images:

1 Like

I had a very similar behaviour after installing Open OS update 17.07.6. After charging and switching on the phone, the charging level of the battery remained almost constant for about an hour and then it started draining very quickly - e.g. from 95% to zero in just a few hours. I had the same behaviour with the same draining rate even in flight mode with no app running and the screen turned off most of the time (third loading unloading cycle in the screenshot).

Today in the morning I reverted back to 17.06.4 using a TWRP backup - and the problem is gone. Only 5% battery loss in more than 10 hours with WiFi and mobile connection switched on, today. So the problem is very probably contained in the Open OS update 17.07.6. I already thought about whether I installed any apps or changed any configuration settings after the update, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t.

1 Like