FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

I would also get rid of the default facebook app and use Metal for Facebook and Twitter.

Just because I wasn’t writting here doesn’t mean that everything is OK… but I have to show you this. Since yesterday…

Haven’t changed a single thing… they are no new apks, no different use of any kind. Just woke up and checked my mails… Now I have to charge it 3 times per day!!!

This phone is a disaster… :sweat:

1 Like

It looks like it’s mostly searching for GSM signal. Could there be a strange setting there?

EDIT: Also, what OS are you on? I don’t have that kind of icon. Are you on LineageOS?

Yes I know it has probably something to do with the GSM signal but can’t figure out why…

My phone runs on fairphone open.

I frequently have this exact problem. I need a solution soon, I’m quite often getting caught late in the evening with no battery that drains from 20/30% in no time at all, which is bad for ordering a cab home!

1 Like

I am frequently getting episode where I lose 1% of battery per 20 seconds or so.

This is particularly common when battery level is less than 30%. But as the screenshot from shows it can occur any time. It happened twice today.

Suggestions very welcome! Obviously you can see that there is frequently poor mobile signal…but this doesn’t always match up with the draining times. It also suggests that the mobile signal is worse than I would jave said from experience

1 Like

I experience something similar and have not found a solutiom yet. Seems to have gotten worse since winter started. Is that the same for you?

@JoeO & @ben please try the battery reset as explained in the #batteryguide.

I have had the same problem since the beginning. The last 20%, I can see the battery draining very fast. The last 12% takes less than 30 seconds… I start looking for a charger whenever my battery gets close to 40% :frowning:
So far, I couldn’t find a solution (or even a reason why this would happen).

2 Likes

You are doing well, mine goes down from 100% to 82% in 30 minutes with no apps open after a quick check when unplugging from charger. It is a recently purchased ‘refurbished’ phone and supposed to have a new battery. I’m having to recharge three or four times a day. I don’t want a workaround but a properly functioning battery and am going to return it as soon as I have a chance to get it packed up.

Hi.
During a trip this week, I disabled the data connection on roaming and only used WiFi. But I used it a lot! I was staying into the same building the whole day, so the phone didn’t have to look for a new network all the time.
My battery time has improved consequently, three days in a row.
I have read articles saying that WiFi can help the battery when used instead of data connection when the phone has a good WiFi connection. I thought WiFi was energy-consuming, but it seems that data can be worse.
I will try to use WiFi more often at home and at work when I know that I will use data for a while (reading many emails or the news etc.). We’ll see if there is any change.

This experience won’t help people with heavy battery problems, but some others may be happy to give it a try.

1 Like

Hi all,

I bought an FP2 about 2 months ago, and had had no problems, but today it suddenly started getting very hot around the CPU, and the battery then dropped quickly from 60% to 30%. I put it in to airplane mode and closed all apps, but the CPU was still hot and the power was still dropping quickly. I turned the phone off, and on restarting the power was suddenly at 2%. While off the CPU had started to cool down, but when I then plugged the phone in to charge (with the power still off) the CPU started to get really hot again.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so, any idea if it’s likely due to a problem with the battery or because of a software issue? I have a spare (unopened) battery, but I’m a bit worried to try switching it out in case I cause further damage.

Sadly as I’m based in Australia I can’t take it in to get it repaired, and I can’t find the IMEI1 number so can’t submit a request for help to the support team. Any help much appreciated!

1 Like

Yes. I moved your post here where this issue was discussed before.

You’ll have to do some troubleshooting to find out. Do the battery reset as described in the batteryguide and if that doesn’t help go on with the other tips described there.

Have a look at this:

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/209635123-Where-to-find-the-unique-identifiers-serial-numbers-of-the-Fairphone-2-modules-

By the way, I think the built-in software for detecting power consumption is flawed.

I recently installed Bacon Camera to try it out, and it drains my battery fast. Note that I have the paid version without ads. Now, it does some heavy duty stuff (for a phone) like capturing and averaging up to thirty photos (it tends to crash at twenty though), so this is not the surprising bit.

What is surprising is that it barely registers as using a lot of battery power in the settings. Meanwhile, the phone noticeably heats up a lot when the app does its heavier calculations (and it’s not the camera module! It’s very clearly the top-middle part above the battery, I suppose where the CPU is sitting).

Assuming I’m right, does anyone have any alternatives to measure power draw and CPU usage by apps more properly?

1 Like

If you don’t want to open the phone, just dial
*#06#
on the phone app and you will get both IMEI displayed.

5 Likes

Cool, it works even with my old SonyEricsson T700! :grinning: Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, but I did that several times already. Do you know of a way to read battery quality, like on macOS? Like number of load cycles, current and design capacity?

Maybe you accidentally got an old battery?

Hello Ben, Thanks for writing. I think that must be the case and therefore Fairphone should send me a new one as they sold it to me ‘as new’. The support staff are not in a hurry to reply to my message though. It’s ridiculous to have paid 400+ euros for a phone that I can hardly use, however laudable the Fairphone vision.

It is very frustrating to read that some phones last more than 1000 minutes without needing to be recharged. With this I’m lucky to get 300 minutes, even when scarcely using it. I’d like to know what the cops in thrillers use when they are constantly on their phones and they never seem to be short of battery!

Thanks again for writing.