FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

Workaround update: the “Clean Master” app. It monitors your CPU and app usage and ‘hibernates’ apps to cool it down.

1 Like

Hi,

:warning: I’ve read that “Clean Master” is a quite “data hungry” app, you should keep this in mind!

http://m.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2015-9-Smartphone-Schnuefflern-auf-der-Spur-2586801.html
(in german)

3 Likes

Still waiting for my “request to be approved”… it’s been more than the 48h promised… I hate I’ll have to send my phone in…

So I’ve been preparing my samsung galaxy S3 to use will I don’t have a phone… I re-installed cyanogen mod 11 with minimal GAPPS and I love it!!! it’s smooth and definitely great… Galaxy S3 is not the latest phone but with cyanogen mod it’s really incredible… I wish we could use it with fairphone…

1 Like

Aheh, yes… I appear to have made a mistake. Based on your advice, I researched the app family further and found most reports them to be useless. Then I deleted them and the overheating…has stopped.

It seems the apps were causing the problem they were designed to prevent…

2 Likes

Waiting to send my phone for repair… it’s getting better and better: phone on charge during the night, extremely hot this morning… only… NOT charged!!! :frowning:

I hate it… and frankly I don’t feel very confident about the repair… after all it is my second FP2 already… :dizzy_face:

Hi everyone, i had the battery drain problems and i think i found two major culprits.

1. Cache on my Gmail app was 1.6GB. Once i cleared it, that went down to about 100kb. Steps below:
    1a. Go to settings -> Battery -> tap on ‘Gmail’, which was one of the top users, but only at 4%,
    1b. Tap ‘Force stop’ (this might not be necessary, but i was trying everything, :smile: )
    1c. Tap ‘App info’ then wait for all the calculations to finish. My Cache was 1.6GB.
    1d. Tapping ‘Clear cache’ reduced my cache to about 100kb (checking now 12 hours later, it’s at 190kb, which is very reasonable)

2. General cache on my phone was about 2Gb. Steps below:
    2a. Go to settings -> Storage -> Cached data. Mine was about 2Gb and dropped down to about 60Mb
    2b. When you tap on ‘Cached Data’, you’ll see a popup ‘Clear cached data?’ Tap ‘ok’.

My battery still said 4 hours left after these, but then it stopped being warm and when i checked it the next morning (after 8 hours), it said 9 hours left. I think my problem is solved. : )
I hope that this works for you.

3 Likes

My accu is very quickly empty. I have checkted all things and somethings changed. But I heva to laod the battery every night en when it’s full, I have to loaded it in the afternoon again. I don’t view video’s and the fhone is mostley standby. Am I the onlyone? What can I do more?

No, you are not the only only, Since the update to 1.3.6 my battery also drains away.

Normaly I do have power for about 1,5 to 2 days, but now I have to load the battery in the evening.

I hope, that’s gona change with one of the next updates.

holo

I moved your post here. As you can see, you’re not the only one.
If you don’t want to read through the whole thread a good start for troubleshooting could be the #batteryguide.

I found a solution to my battery discharging quickly (OS version 1.4.2, as it comes from the store including all things Google)

tl;dr: I deactivated the Gmail App, now I’m fine.

Long version:
I used the GMail-App rarely (maybe once a week). On some day my batteries began to be drained within a few hours. Around that time I received an error message from Google Services (saying something meaningless at that time) and I can’t recall whether it was before or after the “symptoms” started.
Some days of trying different “solutions” I started the GMail app and it crashed/disappeared immediately every time I reopened it. Hence I tried to deactivate it (since you can’t uninstall it).
My assumption is that the Google Services continuously tried to restart the app and check for E-Mails, which caused continuously high processor activity.

Now my battery lasts longer than a day again.

5 Likes

Thanks for helping. The problem solved.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

When i unplugged my fp this morning i had only 50% of battery life left??
Until Yesterday everything haf been fine.
It was plugged in for about 5 hours, and i think it was a little hot around the cpu area when i unplugged it (which is not unusual imo).
The drainage right now is just a bit above normal i guess.
I hope fp is not a battery killer…

Gonna try a hard reset and see if it solves the problem

Fyi: i pugged it in yesterday and shut it down when plugged in.

Now after hardreset, it charged normally, drainage normal…

Everythings fine again :innocent:

1 Like

I also had this problem - battery lasted 4-5 hours, phone got warm. I turned off things I thought might be using power, but it didn’t help much. I put the phone in flight mode for a few hours when crossing a border. Then back to normal. Since then it works a lot better.

Thanks @skimo12. This really helped. I was about to send my phone back for a replacement after only having it for two weeks. It was working fine and then the battery drained completely two nights in a row, waking up in the morning to a dead phone. Cleared the cache on gmail and voila - it’s like new.

1 Like

Someone should really do some tests with the Gmail app …

Hey rock.minister,

did you solve your problem? You had the heating issue right after reseting your phone. I have the same issue using my phone with Open Fairphone OS. I checked all my apps on the phone but couldn’t find anything. I don’t have google apps so I couldn’t test “clean master” and gmail app cannot be the problem.

Any ideas?

hey,

i wasn´t able to solve the problem. First i did a hardware reset and wiphed the data cache. Worked some weeks for me. But after another update, the phone dind´t react any longer.
I think it´s a hardware defect. I wrote for a aupport ticket (took one month), and the Fairphone Stuff wants me to send in the Phone.

Sorry

Hello, I updated FP2 to OS 1.6.2 and battery problems started: after 5 hours in airplane mode battery lasted 25% of charge. I have not facebook, nor spotify. With an extremely reduced usage the charge did not last a day. The phone was a little hot. Finally I downgrade to OS 1.5.1 and I found the battery life I had before.

hello, How do you downgrade the OS? It seems my phone has the same problem but when updated to 1.7.0. battery is not lasting event the day.