FP1(U) Longevity "Experiment"

Hi,

you are right. Security Fixes are important. Unfortunately I don’t know any way to guarantee them for a phone lifetime (I think about 3 to 5 years should be realistic) on any device. You get the best chance of long term updates by using a Nexus device, but if I see the update trouble a colleague of me has with his nexus device (my favorite was the missing December but more actually he hat trouble with notifications and the GPS at the last weeks), I don’t want to own one (aside from other missing features like an exchangeable battery), goggles quality control is a shame.

But more important than an actual Android Version is securing your System by yourself, because there always will be a zero day exploit around there. So yes, an actual Android Version would be better for security issuers, but much more important is to protect yourself and a old Android Version is not an reason for me to throw a Smartphone away. So I see no problem in using a phone for years if you have a look at the Apps you use (you should use an actual browser even on old systems to prevent dive by downloads) and protect yourself with apps like Firewalls etc.

regards,
Shiny

2 Likes