FP1 Spare parts availability (batteries, displays, motherboards, etc. [out of stock!?])

Thank you for notifying me! I warned our website master to have a look at this asap.

1 Like

Same problem to me. But i borrow another phone from a friend because I need a phone for work. I love my old fairphone, but with a broken Display… :frowning:
I’m not sure if I’ll buy a new on it will be a Fairphone again. If the Fairphone Company is not looking for spare parts early enough (before it gets out of stock)…unprofessional! Sorry.

Hope to hear some god news soon.
Regards Kurt

2 Likes

Same here. For two weeks, I am waiting for an email that spare displays are back in stock. Is there an explanation why this is taking so long?

It feels a bit like being a second order customer. The Fairphone 2 gets sold like crazy and the early adopters seem long forgotten.

Started looking for a new phone. Stopped recommending Fairphones altogether.

Still ready to be convinced back again. Team Fairphone, do something! Two weeks without a phone is alreaddy a long time :unamused:

Cheers
chuck

2 Likes

Exactly! I’m waiting for 2 month now!
And I have not found anything where I can get an information, how long it will take to get stock of displays again.

So, Team Fairphone, could you please give me an awnser?

Kind regards,
Seb

Note that this is mainly a community forum, don’t expect Fairphone staff to find your message here or to get a reply.
For official information you are mostly better off asking support (even though currently it means that you may also need to wait for a reply, due to the backlog support has).

There has been an official answer apparently, reported by @perolalars:

They recommended that I do not let them repair my phone. I do get a good discount on the FP2 if I decide to trade my fp1 in, so that they can use it for parts and recycling.

Is this a wise choice? I’m reading up on the forum now and see a lot of bugs, is it a good phone that will last me another 2+ years?

People have discussed this question here:

2 Likes

how big is the discount they offer for trading in FP1 to get a FP2?

1 Like

I have read that no more displays will be available for FP1(U). My display has just been broken and according to the post I should go to the unofficial market and if I am lucky I will get one. I bought my FP1U on March 2015 and according to the amount of money I paid for it and its lifecycle, finally I conclude that it was a bad choice. I have had some problems that no bother at all: unable to send SMS, unable to use a new 4G (because it was a “chinese” phone, as a commercial buyer said to me…), just because I trust in a free-conflict phone and the possibility to recycle some spare parts. However it seems that the efforts of Fairphone team have been centered on the FP2 and I don’t want to invest 500 euros on a new FP2. That would mean that I would have paid 800 euros in a ~5year phone. As you can notice, 800 euros would mean a really simple new 100 euros “chinese” phone every year during 8 years.
I have been a proud buyer of 2 FP1 but I feel that I haven’t had a proper support from the company. I know that there are plenty of posts about that (technical and supplier problems) but your your knowledge about the mobile phone tendencies should be larger than 2 years (even in the FP1).
Regards,

Firstly this is a community forum. In most of the cases you cannot address Fairphone staff directly (you need to use the support channel for that).

Secondly, in my opinion, Fairphone has done their best to prolong the lifetime of even FP1. Very soon an update to a major Android release will be pushed to an almost 3 years old phone. So the people, who were really careful with their devices and could save them from major damages, can very soon enjoy a secure phone with some important feature improvements (like Bluetooth LE).

2 Likes

My first goal was not to ask for support in this post. Indeed, I have used the correct form. However, I suspect that some Fairphone guys have sometimes a glance at this forum and some feedback about their older customers (FP1) could as useful as the feedback from the newers. Please, replace “your knowledge” but “their knowledge” and that’s it :wink:
Secondly, as I mentioned, I have been as careful as possible with my 2 Fairphone devices (or at least as careful as I can be with 2 children) but a friend of mine had the same problem with an iphone 5 (release 2012) and its display remained broken until he got the apple store. Please, do not misunderstand. I don’t want to compare commercial markets, just to notice the lifecycle of certain phone.
Finally, yes! I am absolutely convinced of the great job and efforts of the Fairphone team and, although it does not seem to be the channel, I congratulate and encourage them to improve and maintain this initiative.
Regards,

1 Like

I have tried to order a display assembly for my Fairphone 1. A couple of days back it said that it is currently out of stock and I could tick to be notified when it becomes available. Now it simply says “sold out”. Will it, by any chance become available again? My touchscreen has become partly unresponsive, and to make it fully usable again, I would have to replace it.

1 Like

I’ve crashed my display :frowning: of FP1 and would like to repair it.
When will the display unit be back on stock - if ever?
Thanks,
Toni

1 Like

Maybe @Douwe can provide a newer update, but the latest we know is that there is a ongoing problem in finding a factory that is able and willing to produce new screens for the FP1(U).

2 Likes

There is no news in this department.
We do still have good hopes that FP1 displays will be produced again, but we are not able to say when this will be.

6 Likes

I really need a new display for FP1.
when are they available again?

No change…
We’re still looking for a partner to have the displays produced.

2 Likes

Is there a reason why you do not bring all available screens of the FP1 on the market? They are out of stock on the shop, but you can still send in your phone to replace the screen. Why would you keep some of them within the service center for people sending in their phone? I guess this way you will end up after a year with a lot of screens in the service center where you could have helped many DIY-fixers that are now switching to another smartphone because 130 euro is just too much.

They were doing it this way because there were still some phones in the warranty period. I don’t know about now, I thought that the last FP1Us were sold in November 2014.

1 Like