FP1: Macadamia 1.9.9-pre3 Alpha (Android Kitkat)

Hmmm. Got round the ‘File not found…’ problem by force stopping the Updater app and clearing its cache.

1. Next time I tried to open the update file, the phone did restart into recovery. When I agreed to install the untrusted updated, the installer started, but after only a few seconds, the phone rebooted, and, after optimizising 145 apps, I’m back with running 1.9.9-pre1, only Chrome doesn’t work :slight_smile:

2. I did adb reboot recovery and saw the green droid ‘Installing system update’

3. When the phone reboots, 47 apps get optimized and then…

4. The following apps are reported stopped: Exchange services, Hangouts, Fairphone updater, Email, and finally

5. com.android.provision - and back in the infinite loop I had on Thursday - sigh!

6. Reinstall CWM recovery, restore the backed up data and hope :slight_smile:

7. Restart phone when restore is complete

8. 48 apps optimizing

9. com.provisioning has stopped :frowning:

10 Complete restore from recovery, and give up on 1.9.9-pre2

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve downloaded the new version.
I’ve run the updater.
I’ve uploaded gapps-1.9.9 via adb sideload.
Everything is running fine.
Thanks.

I’ve run Stagefright detector : 9 critical vulneratilities are still there.

Have a nice day.

Just installed cwm recovery… from using this CWM recovery . Operation worked fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How did you determine that you’re back on pre1? Unfortunately I forgot to update the version strings in pre2 and it still says pre1 (sorry). So maybe the update worked after all.

Yes, I know. I’m in the process of merging 4.4.4 and security updates will follow afterwards.

1 Like

Maybe it did, but when it completed I was in the ‘com.android.provisioning has stopped’ infinite loop, and the only way out was a full restore from recovery (which I’m pretty certain was a backup of 1.9.9-pre1)

Is there a reliable way to confirm which version I am running?

My final attempt would be to do a factory reset in the current system, and try to install 1.9.9-pre2, then restore my apps and data (either from Titanium or Recovery - I’m open to suggestions on which has the better chance of succeeding :slight_smile: )

For the moment the easiest solution is to look at the build date:
Go to Settings > About phone > Kernel Version
There it should say when the kernel was built. If it was built in September, it is pre2. If it was built around June 30th, it is pre1.

Thanks. 30th June it is, so I’m definitely on pre1 now.

I will go ahead with the factory data reset and try upgrading from the reset. If that works I’ll try a restore from Titanium…

Actually, I’ll wait until the phone has charged up to try all that :slight_smile:

Well that appeared to work except that, after doing the factory reset, re-installing GApps (via Updater), installing the update, restoring apps and data from Titanium, and reconstructing my home screens which got lost along the way, when I go to Settings > About phone > Kernel Version it still says it was built on 30th June, so I have no idea what version I am now running :frowning:

Re-installed the update, re-installed Gapps-1.9.9 and I do now seem to have pre-2. (kernel was built on September 1st, and the recovery image over-written)

Looks like I eventually got where I wanted to be . Sorry for all the noise, and thanks again for the update and for your help in getting it working

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the hint! I tried desperately to flash the recovery via fastboot… :stuck_out_tongue:

(which failed with the words. FAILED (remote: partition 'recovery' not support flash))

So it finally worked for you?

1 Like

Yes, following the instructions in the link you posted.

1 Like

A few months ago I reported a GPS-related bug in which it would turn on by itself after connecting to mobile data (e.g. when I left home or the wifi router crashed). Because of it I had to charge twice a day. It was so annoying that I reverted to 4.2… only to find out it also happens there. So ignore that bug, it’s not related to this build.

(And if anyone has any clue about the culprit, I’ll gladly hear! I’ll try formatting everything - again - and see if it still happens on an app-less phone)

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you have Google Apps installed? Google has had an issue where it would randomly turn on GPS and drain battery. They have fixed this with an update recently.

Also, some other apps cause similar symptoms. An example I have on my phone is RunnerUp: Whenever it is in recent apps, it also turns on GPS.

I formatted it again afterwards and the first thing I did was test this… and the GPS turned on, without Google Apps (or any app whatsoever) installed. I have absolutely no clue.

Can you please send me (beta@fairphone.com) an adb bugreport shortly after this happened?
Maybe turn the phone off and on again and capture the bugreport as soon as the issue shows up for the first time. Thanks

Edit: Specified email address.

2 Likes

Starting having battery problems again… Haven’t changed anything though… Don’t get it :frowning:

I don’t think there is much to get for you. It’s rather on my side: This looks like a bug which we haven’t figured out yet.

I hope you figure it out quickly :wink:

By the way why do you think my phone can’t be synchronized with my fitbit? (as I read somewhere at this forum that it was tested and works).

Hope you figure that out quickly too so I can love my FP1 even more!!

So do I :sweat:

Yes, I have personally tested this (albeit only for a few hours). The one I tested was very basic (don’t remember which model). There might be several issues.

In any case, let’s gather all discussion regarding bluetooth in this thread.