FP1: Macadamia 1.9.9-pre3 Alpha (Android Kitkat)

I use OpenGapps. Gmail doesn’t synchronize as it should but also whatsapp… I receive messages long after they are send and I don’t always get notifications either…

With Gmail, I see the title of the message but when I try to load it it won’t always load.

No I didn’t change anything…

Is it possible for you to install the GApps package that we provide next time you update? I cannot give support for OpenGApps but would hate to have the same issue in the GApps package we provide.

I think some of these problems are also just on Google’s side. I know similar issues also exist on other phones.

(I assume your connection is fast and stable when you test this).

Sure thing… but I need min gapps and I don’t like having all the useless apps on my phone… that is why I use OpenGapps.

The FP2 doesn’t have this problem though (lots of others but not this one!) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe we can make a list of apps that I can remove from our package? Which ones do you think are superfluous?

Reg. SMS to MMS conversion: Emoticons - Convert SMS to MMS at a price! . Apparently this has been changed before.

1 Like

I’ve let it sit without a battery over the weekend and was able to boot it up this morning. Although the brightness is on it’s highest level, the screen is barley lit. It looks as if the brightness is degrading the longer it is turned on. I hope to be able to record that behaviour as a video tomorrow.

I’ve just tried to see something with adb logcat and got many messages regarding the backlight. Small extract:

D/PowerManagerDisplayState( 1590): mTask: on = true, mActualOn = true, backlight = 50, mActualBacklight = 50
D/PowerManagerDisplayState( 1590): setScreenBrightness: brightness=47
D/PowerManagerDisplayState( 1590): Requesting new screen state: on=true, backlight=47, mChangeInProgress=false
D/PowerManagerDisplayState( 1590): on mTask
D/PowerManagerDisplayState( 1590): mTask: on = true, mActualOn = true, backlight = 47, mActualBacklight = 50
D/PowerManagerDisplayState( 1590): mTask: on = true, onChanged = false, backlightChanged = true, backlight = 47
D/LightsService( 1590): setLight_native: light=0, colorARGB=0xff2f2f2f, flashMode=0, onMS=0, offMS=0, brightnessMode=0
D/lights  ( 1590): write_int open fd=261
D/MessageMonitorLogger( 1590): Monitor message handler is null
D/PowerManagerDisplayState( 1590): mTask: on = true, mActualOn = true, backlight = 47, mActualBacklight = 47```

I try to log more and provide that log to you - I still hope it's not a hardware issue.
At the last moments of the lock the screen went completly black and I tried to get it responding using the power button.

I'll try booting into recovery soon and report back.

This is strange, mainly for the reason that it is supposed to be enabled already:

From the source code:

// This flag is somewhat confusing. If mEnableMultipartSMS is true, long sms messages are
     // always sent as multi-part sms messages, with no checked limit on the number of segments.
     // If mEnableMultipartSMS is false, then mSmsToMmsTextThreshold is used to determine the
     // limit of the number of sms segments before turning the long sms message into an mms
     // message. For example, if mSmsToMmsTextThreshold is 4, then a long sms message with three
     // or fewer segments will be sent as a multi-part sms. When the user types more characters
     // to cause the message to be 4 segments or more, the send button will show the MMS tag to
     // indicate the message will be sent as an mms.
     private static boolean mEnableMultipartSMS = true;

But, I can confirm the behavior, and the threshold is set to 4 (which matches the limit of max 3 SMS before it gets converted that you found).

private static int sSmsToMmsTextThreshold = 4;

We will discuss this and include it if it makes sense for most of our users.

Good to hear that you got it booting again.

If possible, it would be great, if you could also record adb bugreport which includes logcat but also many other useful logs.

Before turning off your phone, make sure to have backed up any data that is important for you.

1 Like

Is it possible to have a first package with just playstore? and then imagine that we can download everything else needed? just as pico or nano of openGapps?

1 Like

Ok, I’ll send the output of adb bugreport along. After dumping the data I told my phone to reboot into recovery using adb reboot recovery. I saw a faint (because of the screen issue) boot animation and then the android droid with “Kein Befehl” under it. The whole time the screen was getting darker and darker.

[quote=“jftr, post:271, topic:19450”]
Before turning off your phone, make sure to have backed up any data that is important for you.
[/quote]That’s no problem, important data is mirrored across other devices.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken this is solved with gravity box…

That’s certainly possible. I just wonder what’s most useful for most users … I believe most users expect to get at least some basic apps when installing GApps. I don’t know what the sweet spot is. I’ll think about it.

Easier to install apps we want than to get rid of apps we don’t! :wink:

2 Likes

There is a different xPosed module that provides the functionality, but I thought it would be better if the solution is native.

1 Like

You’re right… . (which module ?)

I posted the link above, but here it is again: Emoticons - Convert SMS to MMS at a price! (one post further down).

Haven’t seen that… :grin: thanks

1 Like

@jftr I have no idea, what the warning means, but you might want to look into this:

Developer warning: android.permission.ACCESS_SUPERUSER wasn’t declared in the manifest.

The red writing could look a bit off-putting to people…

This is normal behavior of Superuser. There might be a setting of Superuser (Settings > # Superuser > … menu > Settings).

Edit: It essentially means that the app tries to get root privileges without declaring so in its manifest.

2 Likes

Last time I read about it, ACCESS_SUPERUSER was deprecated. See also here:

1 Like