FP sending out useless shirts

I have 3 pairs of the same Armed Angels jeans because they are on of the few with 100% cotton and fit me well. At the moment they are 50% off (~50€ 100€), but unfortunately they don’t have my size anymore.

1 Like

I think we have a solution here:

2 Likes

I am not really sure, if that is a solution for (all) the original poster’s concerns.

One complain was about wasting the investment someone made.
If the shirts can be used by someone else, that might make it less of a waste, as it will be used. Still it’s of no use to the one who received it and it makes another mailing necessary.

Another complain was about investing money in an unwanted way.
Well, that - in general - will happen anyways, in one way or the other, as it is highly unlikely, that all investers will agree to all investments.
On the other hand; it might be avoidable, if the investment by Fairphone is concerning the investors in Fairphone directly, as is the case here.

Finally a third complaint - as I see it -, is a feeling of betrayal of the principles Fairphone stands for.

To be honest, I can understand those complaints and I think Fairphone - should they ever read this thread - should take it to heart.
The intention for sure was a good one; I guess it was meant as a “Thank You” to the investors.
The implementation in my opinion was a bit less perfect.
In my opinion it would have been better to have asked the funders in advance if they want a shirt and what shirt they would need (size; m/f).

Giving the shirt away is a solution, but in my opinion it’s only second best, as the funder might have been disappointed by then already.
The waste being comparatively small considering the environmental impact - to me - is a non-argument, as every waste is too much waste. And if something is wasted involuntarily on me, I might despise it even more.

In all:
In my opinion the complaints by funders/investors should be taken as what they are; signs of disappointment and frustration.
They should not be belittled.
Every “solution”, that does not cut out the frustration/disappointment is no real solution, but at best a cure of the symptoms or a “workaround”.

Just my humble opinion of course.

3 Likes

Fairphone does read these concerns, but they cannot turn back the time. We should already be accustomed to the fact that this is still a young company that is in a learning process making mistakes. Even extremely large companies sometimes have big PR fails.

2 Likes

Sure. That’s quite obvious.
So much more important to learn by it( as I already posted).
And - equally important to me - I was referring to the discussion in this thread as well.
I have the feeling, that his forum is so focused on helping and finding solutions, that everyone get’s an answer like “Don’t worry, we find a solution.
While that’s not wrong as such, I sometimes miss something like “You are right and we understand you.
E.g.: If I would be complaining about a waste of money and ressources when receiving an unwanted and not fitting shirt, the answer that the waste is not that big, would make me feel dismissed. I hardly would feel this to be helpful.

3 Likes

Hm, I’ve not looked at it this way. Of course you are right, and I completely agree that producing and sending out unwanted t-shirts is a waste of resources (although they surely are organic and fair trade, I assume).

On the other hand it wouldn’t be fruitful if we supported each other in our self-pity all the time. So I tend to make the best of the situation and suggest possible solutions to the problem. #thinkpositive :sunflower:

4 Likes

Hi all,
I hope my reply can bring some more information on this, and if you have any more remarks, questions, please let me know.

The ‘Thank you’ package was sent to crowdfunders as a special gift to celebrate our 5 Years anniversary moment and the investment round.

With the intention of a nice gesture, we are now learning the full scope of sending these gifts around. Please note that this was part of a pilot we tested, so we thank you for your feedback. This is something that we will take into account in the future, for other appreciation campaigns we will create.

Encouraging communication and marketing outreach is part of Fairphone’s strategy to expand. With the aim of raising awareness, this type of action brings key learnings to be taken into account for furthering our mission.

As for the current situation, we have two recommendations:

1. Give your items a second chance. On our Community Forum, you can use the ‘Giveaway’ section to get in touch with members and share/exchange items.
  2. If you really want to send it back to us, you can use this address (the fee won’t be covered by us):

Jollemanhof 17, 1019 GW
Amsterdam

Again, please keep it mind that this was a test package, and all your feedback is greatly appreciated and will help us improve :raised_hands:

14 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.