FP Forum Interview(s) Questions collection // AKA: FP AMA (Ask Me Anything)

Hello,

I’m not sure how the first FP AMA will be implemented.

But just to get started with something, I will post a few questions here. Add yours if you like.

Maybe it will be best to discuss the questions using private messages or outside this thread, so the thread stays readable. But if you want to discuss the topic itself - just post it here.

Modifying the questions to make them better understandable is fine, but try to keep the questions intent intact so if people rate for a question … their “likes” will still make sense.

I will try to create some categories so all questions can somehow be grouped later. Maybe. :wink:

Update: These are questions I gathered by reading the forum trying to find questions that touch the root causes of commonly reported problems (phone reboots, drops calls). I will tag questions I have myself with “personal favorite” to make it more clearer. I tried to make a “translation” from posts I read a lot in the forum that looked like: “I have a problem” to “What could possible cause this and do we have answers about this” style of questions.

Update: It’s all a WIKI now!

AMA 1 / Thursday, 11 August 2016, from 17 to 19 CEST (UTC+02:00) / @anon48893843, FP support team leader

Below you find blog entries written by @anon48893843. Maybe this will help asking useful questions. I think he should be able to answer questions from the Q1-Q3 area easily.

How we are fixing the spare parts supply chain so you can repair your Fairphone
We’re sorry to keep you waiting: an update from Customer Support

AMA 2 / 13 October 2016 / Fairphone 1 developer Franz-Xaver Geiger

4 Likes

Q1 Quality assurance (QA)

Q1.0 Could you post more Quality assurance (QA) related information? Like: Is QA done at all levels of the supply chain (at the ODM, at FP, at the repair center, at the support desk? Can you show us the data? In an old blog post @anon48893843 writes “we now have access to our own repair statistics

Q1.1 If not, can you explain in more detail why this is currently not possible? (also see Q1.x)

Q1.2 Could you talk in more detail about the current hardware/software related issues and if they are fixed? Is the Fairphone 2 “safe” hardware-wise right now? (see: Q 2.1)

Q1.3 Why do bigger changes (like a baseband replacement) do not show up in the Changelogs? (personal favorite #1)

Q1.4 Could you also post hardware Changelogs if these have become necessary due to faulty parts? (personal favorite #2)

Q1.5 How does fixing issues work at FP? What other players are involved? Do you have enough access to the device to do it yourself?

Q1.6 Can you publish better statistics based on your ticket system and tracked/tagged issues?

Q1.7 What are the top reasons that phones were no working correctly (hardware, software, design)?

Q1.8 Do the contracts with the ODM/suppliers allow that these issues get fixed without costing extra money? Or are these normal quality faults that just occur and are priced in so you just get “new” parts?

added by @anon9505190

• Who does QA at or for FP ? Does it FP, a third independent company or the supplier also internally, or all three in different shares ?
  • Who does the end control of devices right before delivery to end customers ?
  • How many probes are taken by this end control ?
  • How is QA organized between FP and suppliers ?
  • How many device samples before end control are tested and validated by FP ?
  • Can you describe QA management for supply chains and its policies as far as possible to end customers ?
  • What are the agreements between FP and suppliers by contracts and service agreements about different kind of returns for erratic fabric returns ?
  • How many different suppliers and how many agreements or contracts to them ensure QA ?
  • Is it possible to tell agreed percentage rates about allowed returns of devices ?
  • Is it possible to enumerate QA divided by module parts of FP2 ? Are allowed returns all the same ?
  • How about evaluation/control of suppliers from FP due to erratic devices or parts ?
  • How many times evaluates and controls FP their suppliers ?
  • Was there development about QA between different suppliers of the QA chain ?
  • Has there been replacements of suppliers itself over last 8 months ?
  • How can the development of QA rates be described over last 6 months ?

(…)

Q1.x As for all questions: If there exists a (mutual) nondisclosure agreements (NDA), that touches these issues, could you also point that out?

1 Like

Q2 Hardware (HW)

Q2 Could you post more Hardware (HW) related information?
Q2.1 Could you talk in more detail about the current hardware issues (antenna, modem, camera af, connectors, chargers) and if they are fixed? What cased problems?
Q2.2 Can you tell us more about the modules and specs so people can start building the own? Or can’t you share this information?

For Olivier Hebert (I’m leaving, so I want to at least put some questions here for others)

Q2.3 OpenGL ES 3.1 on the 801/Qualcomm. Looks like Fairphone has been burned again by bin blobs. Will this change the approach how hardware wil be purchased for a possible FP3?
Q2.4 Why is there no eMMC storage module for the Fairphone? The benefits are overwhelming: backup, different OS’es, testing, cheaper main boards … Is this once again something Google controls secretly?

(…)

Q2.x As for all questions: If there exists a (mutual) nondisclosure agreements (NDA), that touches these issues, could you also point that out?

1 Like

Q3 Support & Shop

Q3 Could you explain how the support currently works?
Q3.1 What is eating up the most time?
Q3.2 How can we support … the support?
Q3.3 Are you happy with your ticket system? Does it work for you? Do you think using it helps making the FP better? Can you track issues, tag them and group them and get good statistics? As far as I know you already use the latest and greatest system that is out there. Is it worth it?
Q3.4 How does support interact with QA? Do you collect the right data? What kind of data do you exchange with QA?

Q3.x As for all questions: If there exists a (mutual) nondisclosure agreements (NDA), that touches these issues, could you also point that out?

Hard info: Support manpower as of June 2016
Hard info: Currently, as of August 2016, they use Zendesk as their support ticket system

1 Like

Q4 PR & Communication

Q4 What are your communication strategies? Do you see FP as a company that needs to sell their brand or as project?
Q4.1 Are there things you can’t discuss because it would be unprofessional?
Q4.2 Are there topic you don’t want to discuss anymore?
Q4.3 What do you think hurts FP and its image the most?
Q4.4 What do you think we could do against that?

1 Like

Q5 Fairphone Project & Company

Q5.1 Has FP “evolved” from being a project to a company? Do you still have the same goals or has your focus switched in some areas? Can you elaborate on this?

Q5.x As for all questions: If there exists a (mutual) nondisclosure agreements (NDA), that touches these issues, could you also point that out?

1 Like

Q6 Software & Roms

Q6.6 Why are no “debug”-roms available that would allow more user/forum based debugging? (personal favorite #3)
Q6.7 Can you explain the licence you use for the binary blobs? It currently disallows the sharing of self-build roms. Why?

(…)

Q6.x As for all questions: If there exists a (mutual) nondisclosure agreements (NDA), that touches these issues, could you also point that out?

1 Like

Q7 Supply chain & ODM/OEM

Q7 Could you post more Supply chain & ODM/OEM related information?
Q7.1 Could you explain better how building a phone works at all?

(…)

Q7.x As for all questions: If there exists a (mutual) nondisclosure agreements (NDA), that touches these issues, could you also point that out?

1 Like

possibly partly to be added:
** I know that not a half maybe answered. That’s why I increased diversity about QA :wink:

• Who does QA at or for FP ? Does it FP, a third independend company or the supplier also internally, or all three in different shares ?
  • Who does the end control of devices right before delivery to end customers ?
  • How many probes are taken by this end control ?
  • How is QA organized between FP and suppliers ?
  • How many device samples before end control are tested and validated by FP ?
  • Can you describe QA management for supply chains and its policies as far as possible to end customers ?
  • What are the agreements between FP and suppliers by contracts and service agreements about different kind of returns for erratic fabric returns ?
  • How many different suppliers and how many agreements or contracts to them ensure QA ?
  • Is it possible to tell agreed percentage rates about allowed returns of devices ?
  • Is it possible to enumerate QA devided by module parts of FP2 ? Are allowed returns all the same ?
  • How about evaluation/control of suppliers from FP due to erratic devices or parts ?
  • How many times evaluates and controls FP their suppliers ?
  • Was there development about QA between different suppliers of the QA chain ?
  • Has there been replacements of suppliers itself over last 8 months ?
  • How can the development of QA rates be described over last 6 months ?