FP3+ & FP4 & FP5 hearing aids and direct streaming

Only Fairphone would know the answer to this, as suggested by @anon9989719

After a very brief browse on Google’s documentation ASHA appears to use existing Bluetooth LE capabilities (l2cap). As I understand it, the presence of Bluetooth 5 means the hardware is capable - so the Fairphone 3 is fine on paper at least.

I did notice quite a few “no audio” posts on other forums, so I assume there is more software work to be done in Android.

1 Like

No I didn’t, as Lidwien has recommended me to go to the forum. Please give me a direct contact for asking Fairphone directly.
Many thanks

You can find it on the website:

1 Like

Here are the disappointing answers I got from Faiphone support:

1. Unfortunately, the Fairphone 3/3+ does not support the ASHA protocol.

2. I’d like to inform you that unfortunately the Fairphone 4 does not support ASHA protocols, this is because of platform limitations.

6 Likes

Disappointing indeed, but thank you for reporting back here, I hope it helps others.

1 Like

I don’t believe that “platform limitation” excuse. Audio is data. The FP4 supports the required level of Bluetooth LE. Thus it’s possible to send audio to the hearing aid, end of discussion.

“The censored who wrote our firmware didn’t implement the protocol” would at least be a believable answer, though I strongly suspect that “we didn’t bother to try turning it on and checking whether it works because nobody here has a hearing aid” is somewhat more honest.

Sorry for being somewhat antagonistic here but frankly I expect better.

AFAIK situation is as follows for GN Resound Linx Quattro hearing aids :
ASHA does not work for Fairphone, also not for FP4 as you need for direct streaming

• Minimum Android 10 (given for FP )
  • Minimum Bluetooth 5 (given for FP ) and
    -installed ASHA-module on the phone. This can the done only by phone-manufacturer (not given)

Currently there are only some phone models basically all are Googel pixel and some high-end Samsung units you can directly stream. With Apple it seems to work with all newer models.
I do not know what phones work with other hearing aids, Situation is very complicated.
Hope this info helps.

Definitely something Fairphone would get credit for, sad it hasn’t been done. If I find the head space I may ask why not?

1 Like

Well, afaik Google offers ASHA to phone manufacturers but it seems that it costs money and that may be the reason for many manufacturers. On the other hand we have to consider that there are very few people who need it. And this limited demand should have a look on competitors to GN Resound if they already own a phone without ASHA.
All the other streaming to headphones works perfectly with or without ASHA.
Anyway, ASHA is no reason at all to refrain from buying Fairphone especially because control of hearing aids via app should work with Fairphone without any problem- newer Android version provided.

1 Like

Good news (had the opportunity to test myself):
With FP4 updated to Build-Nummer FP4.FP3Q.A.094.20211213 Security updates 5.12.21 and updated Smart 3D App it is possible to stream musik from FP4 to GN Resound Linx Quattro hearing aids. Also control of Linx is possible from FP4. This is a great step forward!
Why does it work now?
Frankly speaking I do not know and can only guess: Seems for me to be connected with new bluetooth features. If anyone knows, let me know please.

3 Likes

I’ve moved this into the Discuss | The Products category and added tags so it should become easier for people to find this topic. While this is about two different generations of Fairphones, the (so far) limited circle of users concerned & with expertise makes it appear sensible to me to keep the discussion in one topic.

1 Like

ASHA is no reason at all to refrain from buying Fairphone

I disagree. If you have hearing aids, as a large number of older people do, the space an earbud would take is, instead, taken by the hearing aids. So if you want streaming into your ear (and don’t own one of the limited number of models which work without ASHA) you should choose a different phone model.

4 Likes

Well, i belong to the so-called elder people and have to accept your opinion. What I wanted to say is: Also Fairphone 3 works with hearing aids but not with GN Resound. If anyone wants Fairphone 3 and has to buy new hearing aids he could look and try for a model which works with FP 3. If you already own these expensive aids already and you have to buy a phone you are absolutely right for FP3.
Anyway, FP3 does not but FP4 streams music also to Resound and works for better than some Samsung devices.
By the way: Would be very interested whether ASHA is still necessary for new bluetooth devices. Do not find any info about this. My feeling - but it is only a feeling- is: ASHA is not any longer necessary if new bluetooth standard is used.

I have the same problems with my Resound hearing aids and no solution could be found untill now. I think there are many more users who hoped to be able to connect. The sound of music or films is steamed to the hearingaids, only the phonecalls are nog directed to the HA’s. I think Fairphone should solve this, hearingaid users are no small group. Fairphone is the only phone answering the modern environmental needs these days, so try to be as progressive with this issue please. Nico Horstink

3 Likes

Agree! Makes sense to me. However this is a user forum ~ you could direct your views to support |at | fairphone|dot|com

Are there people using other brand hearingaids that do work properly with the FP4?

1 Like

I’m using Signia Pure Charge & Go AX hearing aids. Like some other high-end devices, these use the ASHA bluetooth protocol for direct streaming. Sadly, they don’t work with my FP3+, and I received the following message from support: “Unfortunately, because of platform limitations, neither the Fairphone 3+ nor the Fairphone 4 are compatible with ASHA protocols.”

So unfortunately, ASHA support doesn’t seem to be an option for the current Fairphones. :frowning:

The Phonak Naida P 90 works with my FP3+ (and my Ubuntu Tuxedo notebook) because it uses a different Bluetooth protocol than ASHA. I suspect it would work with a FP4 as well. But it has some other downsides (unrelated to connectivity) which mean it doesn’t compensate for my hearing loss as well as the Signia.

Hi. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info.

Frankly speaking: This ASHA is a miracle for me. For GN resound the Fairphone support and GN resound said that it will not work, but it works for FP 4 with the only exception:
Streaming of phone calls is not possible.
Would be very interested to learn where is this ASHA installed? Is it in the firmware of the processor? If so, could it work also with a Custom Rom?

Hi there,
i asked the support about this issue becaus e I have reSound hearing aids:

“I would like to know if there are plans to make ASHA available on the Fairphone 3. As a wearer of hearing aids I had trusted that Bluetooth 5 and Android 10 would suffice. I’ve been waiting for Fairphone to develop for a year now - so I’m basically patient. But now I don’t like to wait anymore.”

and what they answered:

"A lot of our efforts go into testing to make sure you have a great working Fairphone, but as a smaller company, we have simply not had the opportunity to test a the vast majority of third-party products like your reSound hearing aid.

Although it’s great to hear that you are interested in using your Fairphone with the ASHA standard, this is not included in the official specifications for the Fairphone 3/3+ because it is not compatible due to platform limitations.

I welcome you to check out our community forum for like-minded people that share your interests and could be using the same product. The more people we have sharing their input, the more information we have to direct our testing and lead to an update more quickly.

If your post gets many upvotes or comments in the community, it will help us focus our efforts to better support you."

So please give a lot of answers and comments to my post :slight_smile:

6 Likes