Flashing Nougat openos failed, now it's stuck in a reset loop

Today I tried to update my FP2 from 18.04.1 to Nougat. The updater wasn’t seeing anything, but I never use that anyway because I have Xprivacy. So I downloaded 18.10.0-sibon-280f64b0-ota.zip and flashed that, along with xposed-v89-sdk23-arm.zip.

This phone is encrypted. That’s probably relevant.

When it rebooted, it told me that my data was corrupt and I needed to do a factory reset. So that really sucks. I don’t have a backup, because FP2s can’t be backed up (old argument). I managed to copy off the one really important directory using twrp and adb, and this is not my primary phone any more, so nothing’s really urgent now. But still, I’d like this thing to work.

I tried flashing fp2-sibon-18.04.1-ota-userdebug.zip, and that allows it to boot and, after I put in the password, perform a factory reset. Now I have a blank phone. All of my app data is still there under sdcard/, but installing the relevant app doesn’t allow it to be used. Also, the wifi can’t be turned on, so it can’t do much.

If I flash 18.10.0-sibon-280f64b0-ota.zip again, then I end up stuck in a loop. After flashing (this is without xposed, just to keep things simple) I get the following loop:

To start Android, enter your PIN

Checking…

Wrong PIN

Checking…

Decryption unsuccessful
The password that you entered is correct, but unfortunately your data is corrupt.
To resume using your phone, you need to perform a factory reset. When you set up your phone after the reset, you’ll have an opportunity to restore any data that was backed up to your Google Account.

Then it goes into TWRP, runs some script, apparently succesfully, reboots, and the same sequence happens again. The PIN is correct every time.

Is there any way to get this phone working with 18.10.0? Any way to make wifi work again?

Check the release notes, under manual installation.

2 Likes

Crap. I didn’t see that.

With results as serious as losing all your data, at least a link to those warnings would have been really handy on this page:

https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/user/fairphone-open-source-os-downloads.html

Pinging @jftr / @MaartenD (see above).

(I don’t work for Fairphone / have access to the site, but these guys handled the forum announcement for Sibon releases.)

5 Likes

Hi @matthew_exon, sorry for the confusion and resulting data loss. That sucks.

We have tried to provide the information as clearly as possible but did not think of users like you who download the image directly. We will add this information asap.

3 Likes

Cheers. No bones broken in my case, but yeah would be good to have the warnings there.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.