First time FP2 (regarding the battery and charge cycle)

Hello, I’ve received my FP2 and I wanted to know if I need to fully use the battery first, before charging it for the first time.
Also, how many time should I charge my phone for the first time ?
Thanks !

Bonjour, je viens juste de recevoir mon FP2, et je voulais savoir si je dois d’abord user la batterie avant le premier cycle de charge ? Et combien de temps dois-je le laisser charger ? Merci !

I think you don’t need to empty your battery before the first charge. I connected the phone to the charger after I received it.

The memory effect is only experienced by nickel-cadmium batteries, which aren’t allowed as phone batteries anymore. So you don’t have to empty your battery fully before charging.

I think you meant how long. Because “how many times” would be illogical (you can charge the battery only once and have to empty it before you can charge it the next time). The battery is full when the LED turns green. So the green LED is a good indicator when you can unplug the phone.

I personally leave the phone on the charger until I leave the home in the morning. So I start the day with a full battery. Leaving your phone on the charger does not damage the battery.

1 Like

Do not worry about the battery, just use your brain for the phone. But keep in mind, that charging the last percents stresses the battery more then normal. So the phone accepts “fully charged” at - if I recall it right - 95%.

Spielmops

Oh, yes, sorry… I meant how long. Thanks for your answer !

For the first cycles you should complelty charge and discharche your phone, it useful for battery calibration (precision of battery %), and then once a month, full charge \discharge.

Completely discharging a Lithium-Ion cell too often is not recommended. It will drastically shorten the life of your battery and can even damage it, if left empty for a prolonged period. If you want to prolong the life of your battery the ideal way is to recharge when the battery is around 90%, although that will not be possible in many cases, recharging at 50% is advisable. Here is a table that gives you an idea of this behaviour. Battery calibration is not needed in most cases but can be achieved by a full charge - discharge - charge.

Depth of discharge versus Discharge cycles and life span of battery in Cycles.

100% Discharge ------------------ 300–500 Cycles
50% Discharge ----------------- 1,200–1,500 Cycles
25% Discharge ----------------- 2,000–2,500 Cycles
10% Discharge ----------------- 3,750–4,700 Cycles

This is a good site to gain some knowledge about your battery. :guardsman:

Regards,

Alfi

1 Like

I don’t completely understand the effects that work on batteries: Say I have a 1000 mAh battery and the discharge is linear for the scenarios above, I would get:

100% discharge = 300.000-500.000 mAh over the lifetime
50% discharge = 600.000-750.000 mAh
25% discharge = 500.000-625.000 mAh
10% discharge = 375.000-475.000 mAh.

I don’t see much difference in terms of how much use I get out of the battery between 100% discharge and 10% discharge. The optimum seems to be much closer to 50% than it is to 10%. At best the difference between average use is 1.7-fold (between 100% discharge and 50% discharge).

Then there’s the detrimental effects of charging to 100% (table 4 on the page linked to in the post above) - I’m not even sure how this interacts with the data given about how far to discharge the battery. The data suggests that charging your battery to 100% will have the same effect as discharging it to 0%, so even if you charge to 100% as soon as you have a 10% discharge, you’d still only get 300-500 cycles, rather than the 3750-4700 quoted in table 2. And that’s where it would get troubling, because in the usage examples above that would mean you’d only get 1/10 th the use out of it compared to draining the full battery and charging it to 100%.
So I’m not sure battery university is helping me understand this.

Edit: here’s a claim that dropping to 40%, then recharging in go to 80% is the best balance. Too bad it doesn’t really explain why.

Johannes, check your math again. 300 x 1000mAh versus 3750 x 1000mAh :wink:

Kind regards,

Alfi

10% discharge of 1000 mAh = 100 mAh. In full, the calculation is 1000 mAh x 0,1 discharge x 3750 cycles = 375.000 mAh. (versus 1000 mAh x 1,0 discharge x 300 cycles = 300.000)

Guys, I tell you what: charging of batteries is like living with salt - to less makes ill, to much can be lethal. And now you can change the discussion to the advantages, disadvantages, fears, prejudices and stories what your grandma told about living with/without salt …

In the beginning there was this guy who wanted to know if a little bit of salt on his cooked egg is ok.

Spielmops

Sorry, lost of track of that - my original point was that it doesn’t really matter too much what you do, and that claims about batters are often relatively difficult to translate to a real-world impact (and should therefore be taken with a pinch of salt).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.