FF3+ camera DPI?

I read the discussion about 48 vs 12 Mpixel on FP3+.
I have FP3+ all my photos have 72x72 ppi. Is that normal? this means when the resolution increases the image becames bigger ?
thank you,

Marco

Hello Marco and welcome to the forum!

PPI is a resolution: it measures the number of pixels per square inch, so it depends of the size of your screen or of your print of the picture on paper, or even the precision of a scan (then it’s called DPI for dots per inch for these two last things).

However it’s not directly linked to the picture’s definition (or dimension) in itself, which is different thing: it’s the number of pixels in your picture in total (i.e. in a 12Mpx picture it usually is 3000x4000), which you can print or display in different sizes.

So basically, if you print in smaller sizes, you’ll have a higher resolution than if you print the same picture (with the same definition) in bigger sizes.

Where can you read this information?

3 Likes

Thank you Antoine,
I took quite the same photo with my camera and my FF3+.
I opened both with Gimp and read the characteristics.

You can find attached the screenshots of the two photos features

(Attachment photoshot.odt is missing)

1 Like

With Gimp you can choose the resolution of your final picture, so the size of your picture compared to its definition, basically it’s how many pixels you’ll print per inch of paper or in a PDF file.

NB: you’ll need to use the forum a bit more to be able to publish pictures in your posts.

the system rejected my odt file, I’m sending you a pdf one,
Marco

photoshot.pdf (102 KB)

1 Like

In your file I can see the sizes (in millimeters) of your two pictures are different.

Which is why the resolutions (in PPI) are different, even if the dimensions (number of pixels) for both pictures are the same.

3 Likes

thank you,
Tomorrow I’ll open again the two images with Gimp. Actually I didnt choose to open them with different resolution. I’ll try again!

It was very kind from you!

2 Likes

You can change the dpi/ppi values at any time in graphics programs to change the size in which you want to get the picture printed on paper or processed in desktop publishing etc. The picture itself will not be changed by changes of these parameters.

1 Like

thank you all,
I though there was some relationship with the size of the sensor. But I was wrong!

Marco

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.